I didn't realise how bad they sounded!

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Was at Whittlebury Hall yesterday and was admiring a new Cayman...........

........until that is it fired up sounding like a misfiring lawnmower. It was truly awful! Not sure why it would sound any worse than any other 4-pot, but it did?!

Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Well so did the merlin in the spitfire!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Peteski wrote: ↑Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 am Was at Whittlebury Hall yesterday and was admiring a new Cayman...........

........until that is it fired up sounding like a misfiring lawnmower. It was truly awful! Not sure why it would sound any worse than any other 4-pot, but it did?!
Flat 4s have a different firing order, different crank design, different exhaust geometry etc to normal inline 4s.

Turbo charging emphasises the differences.

Some people like the sound (Subaru owners mostly). Other people hate the sound (because it sounds like a Subaru)

I think the 718s sound dreadful too.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Peteski wrote: ↑Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 am Was at Whittlebury Hall yesterday and was admiring a new Cayman...........

I think the problem is that Porsche didn't want it to sound like a Subaru, which I personally think sounds ok, but in tunning the flat four burble out of the exhaust endended up with the most undescript noise ever. Now alls that left is just a lot of noise.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Mike and his Macan wrote: ↑Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:50 am Well so did the merlin in the spitfire!
Haha, well said! :lol:
718's are a fabulous drive which is more important to a lot of people than the engine sound. ;)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

I spent 40 mins hooning around the track at the PEC earlier in the summer in a 718 Boxster S and thought that the engine absolutely droned and I was glad to get out of it

I then had the same car for a day on public roads when the Macan was in for a service and absolutely loved the car and the sound. When you are not ragging it, it sounds pretty decent and purposeful which is how you drive for 90% of the time on the road. I would happily have one as a daily driver as the handling, refinement and tech suits those who will spend a lot of time in it
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Deleted User 1874

Mike and his Macan wrote: ↑Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:50 am Well so did the merlin in the spitfire!
This sound would be an insult to any Merlin!
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Flat 4s have a different firing order, different crank design, different exhaust geometry etc to normal inline 4s.

Turbo charging emphasises the differences.

Some people like the sound (Subaru owners mostly). Other people hate the sound (because it sounds like a Subaru)

I think the 718s sound dreadful too.
Ha, ha, I'd totally forgotten it was a flat 4 :lol:
Deleted User 1874

Semerka wrote: ↑Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:02 pm
Haha, well said! :lol:
718's are a fabulous drive which is more important to a lot of people than the engine sound. ;)
I agree, but this sounded really bad after wafting around in an EV! My wife (who likes the Cayman) commented that it just seemed like ancient technology. If we bought another ICE sportscar it would have to at least sound good. She was seriously considering a Cayman, but not anymore!
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Just a thought....

image.jpg

Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊