Elon Musk in hot water again.

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I wonder what the "financial" types here thought of the Tesla Q3 earnings report?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/24/tesla-e ... -2018.html

It was undeniably positive and the shorters must have been in tears. There is no doubt in my mind that the Model 3 is going to be a massive global seller for Tesla and they are being produced in quantities that ICE manufacturers are simply not going to compete with over the next few years, despite all the EV BS they are currently putting out in the press. I think the Model 3 really is the turning point that Tesla always intended as it finally brings a desirable and practical EV into the mid-upper end of the mainstream market. The ultra-minimalist design is very bold and divisive, but it is currently appealing to young and old alike over the pond. Having driven a new BMW 3-series fairly recently I have to say it was very dreary, cramped and dated. It was actually not that far removed from the interior of my last 3-series from 2001, which even back then was pretty conservative!

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Looking forward to finally getting the Model 3. Although no specific delivery date available yet :cry: The Macan GTS wait list was long as well !

Hopefully, the all-wheel drive version will be available from the off :D

May put a deposit down on the Model Y when that opens (who knows when that will be ;) )
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Deleted User 1874

Tall Phil wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:46 pm Looking forward to finally getting the Model 3. Although no specific delivery date available yet :cry: The Macan GTS wait list was long as well !

Hopefully, the all-wheel drive version will be available from the off :D

May put a deposit down on the Model Y when that opens (who knows when that will be ;) )
I think it's a safe bet that the AWD version will be available from the start. I'm thinking all versions will be available by the time they get to producing RHD. I've got a reservation too and will probably get the Performance version just for fun. But I'm not really expecting delivery until 2020, earlier will be a bonus.
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Peteski wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 pm
I think it's a safe bet that the AWD version will be available from the start. I'm thinking all versions will be available by the time they get to producing RHD. I've got a reservation too and will probably get the Performance version just for fun. But I'm not really expecting delivery until 2020, earlier will be a bonus.
I think 2020 delivery is probably correct; although, that is just a gut feeling. The Tesla website is saying Early 2019, just doesn't seem likely.

No mention of a heated steering wheel. That would be very sad, the Macan heated steering wheel was awesome!
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Tall Phil wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:09 pm
I think 2020 delivery is probably correct; although, that is just a gut feeling. The Tesla website is saying Early 2019, just doesn't seem likely.

No mention of a heated steering wheel. That would be very sad, the Macan heated steering wheel was awesome!
And will it still have the chemical warfare protection AC - or whatever it’s called? 😳
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Yeah, the heated wheel is nice in the Model X too. Are you sure it's not part of the premium upgrade package like it was with the S and X? I'll have a look tomorrow. At least you can remotely heat or cool EVs and the Tesla system is super quick. No more cold starts or sun baked interior!
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:25 pm

And will it still have the chemical warfare protection AC - or whatever it’s called? 😳
Good question. I'll look into that too. The cabin filtering in my Model X is fantastic and makes you wonder why other manufacturers often skimp on it. We get a lot of pungent farming smells where we live and none of them get inside the Tesla. The HEPA filter is enormous and there are 2 carbon filters behind that. The system is also capable of pressurising the whole cabin for good measure.

On the US Tesla forum there are reports of how effective it was when escaping the California fires with cars stuck on the freeway in dense smoke. Scary stuff!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

One thing that would concern me if ordering right now is that the standard spec seems to be changing almost weekly with things being stripped out as EM constantly tries to streamline production. As does the price which is going up a bit and down a bit.

I’m pretty sure they’ll survive but whether it’s in its current form remains to be seen. However he tinkers it seems that one overarching fact is a constant that threaten the margin; that the worker to car ratio is way, way over that of the heritage manufacturers. And this when EVs are regarded as easier to build, and Tesla in particular have rationalised the design way beyond the conventional.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Dandock wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm One thing that would concern me if ordering right now is that the standard spec seems to be changing almost weekly with things being stripped out as EM constantly tries to streamline production. As does the price which is going up a bit and down a bit.

I’m pretty sure they’ll survive but whether it’s in its current form remains to be seen. However he tinkers it seems that one overarching fact is a constant that threaten the margin; that the worker to car ratio is way, way over that of the heritage manufacturers. And this when EVs are regarded as easier to build, and Tesla in particular have rationalised the design way beyond the conventional.
He has obviously been using Porsche as an example. Strip out loads, add a little bit and sell it for a shedload more.!
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm One thing that would concern me if ordering right now is that the standard spec seems to be changing almost weekly with things being stripped out as EM constantly tries to streamline production. As does the price which is going up a bit and down a bit.

IF you followed Tesla specs you would see that there is a long history of continuous spec changes and they do not follow the conventional model year designations. Right now they are reducing the interior trim choices on the S and X ahead of a major interior refresh due next year. They also made some of the previous upgrade options standard and made corresponding price adjustments (slightly lower overall if you had specced those previous options).

As for margins, I think you'll find Tesla has class leading margins on all its cars. Like in the order of 20%-30% which is pretty much unheard of in conventional cars, never mind EVs! It's one thing they've always really focused on and is now finally starting to show overall profits.