Its hell out there

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

120 miles from home to the NEC in Birmingham, M6 > M6 Toll > M42.

We get 10 miles from home and start a crawl for the next six miles because some brain dead plonker has been driving like a dhead and had an accident, we sit there for 1/2 an hour as they shovel what remains of their grey matter off the road.

We get going again and the other plonkers decide they have to make up the lost time by undercutting and zigging and zagging around the other drivers.

Slowish over the Thelwall due to volume of traffic then its the 50 mph zone with average speed cameras where they are upgrading the Motorway to one of the so called Smart Motorways (which is another way of saying we are putting variable speed limits in place with average speed cameras so that we can generate income when we want as we will put in a 50mph limit even though there is no need for one and you idiots will not slow down).

This damn 50mph zone goes on forever, then its over and barely do we get into the 70mph zone that the sign says 3 miles to roardworks and yet another 50mph zone with you guessed it, average speed cameras. Again it goes on forever and ever almost to the M6 Toll.

What is it with the term Average Speed Cameras that Joe Public finds so hard to comprehend, they travel well in excess of 50mph then when they see a camera they slow down to 50mph only to speed up again shortly thereafter. The only thing is they do so at the average speed cameras that have the Camera Not In Use sign attached to it and they ignore the temporary average speed cameras that are working but these are the ones that are only there for the duration of the roadworks.

We go onto the Toll, bliss, nobody is on it, all to soon even at a steady 70mph set on the ACC we get to the Toll Booth ..... £6.40 ...... I mean six sodding pounds forty pence, do these plonkers think I am made of money, six soddin pounds forty we will not be going back home on the damn Toll.

A very pleasant day at the Art and Antiques show at the NEC was had by my Mrs and I and we sneak out of the facility by the northern exit to nearly get totally by some bitch in her Merc who zoomed straight across the roundabout in front of us doing about sixty, it did not bode well for the journey home.

We get onto the M6 Northbound at Junction 4 and almost immediately we are at 50mph limit but doing 20mph and this continues all the way North. During our drive North idiots abound and one dick even went from the almost stationary outside lane to the nearside lane to try to gain a few car lengths advantage but what he did not initially see was the 47 tonne artic joining on the slip road and he must of thought that he had right of way, I still do not know how he avoided not being totalled, not as though it did him much good as 1/2 mile up the road he was stuck still in the nearside lane as we went past him. :o So as it wad we stop started and traveled slow from Junction 5 on the M6 all the way North to Junction 26 at Wigan, the MFD is showing 90 miles at an average of 43mph and 33.5mpg as the Motorway is now clearish we get the Turbo up to speed for the final dash home.

Not enjoyable journeys either way and my heart goes out to you folks who have to suffer such driving issues daily on your commutes and business travel.

So glad that it is a rare occurance for us to have to travel below Cheshire and as for the M6 Toll then next time we will take the scenic routes and avoid the Motorway all together.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Yep totally agree, DHs everywhere on our roads and the M6 Toll is very expensive, but at least it's empty! Before they built the M6 Toll I was regularly driving from Oxfordshire to Manchester and the M6 around B'ham was a total nightmare and could often cost more than an hour in journey time. Now it's there I rarely make that journey, but would happily pay £6.40 to avoid the previous nightmare.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Roads are just a nightmare ..............

Not sure I could do a long commute any more. Current commute is about 15 minutes and I still struggle :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

When I was working I had to use the M6 from Birmingham to Manchester about once a month. I had to allow an extra hour for the journey to make sure I arrived in time for meetings. Those trips made me realise that there are numerous collisions on the M6 every day.

When I worked in the US for a time it didn’t matter how far you were driving but you could time your arrival at the destination precisely just by using 50 mph as the average. Worked every time!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

I think we , who are old enough, have all been scarred by the Birmingham M6 prior to the Toll :lol:
GTS \o/ - sold :(
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ahhhh. The joys of a sparsely populated area...!
Macan S D
718 S
Spud

Post by Spud »

Roads do get worse but I,ve had two good trips this week, Sunday from Cornwall to Nottingham (4 hours) then yesterday to Blackburn (M1, M62), the one thing on the way back speed limit signs at 60mph due to air quality, not seen that before
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
wizzzard

Post by wizzzard »

The M6 around Brum might fare better if the roadworks ever stopped. If it's not a bridge around Spaghetti Junction, it's the road surface. If it's not the road surface, it's the M5 interchange. If it's not the M5, there's a sale on at Ikea (queues are horrendous) and if there's no sale at Ikea, there are roadworks and lane closures and if those are complete, it's time to start on Spaghetti Junction again.

Vicious circle.
Jet Black GTS | 21" Sport Classics Gloss Black | PanRoof | Air Suspension + PASM | Pebble Grey Interior | Sport Design Mirrors | PDLS+ | Light Comfort | Bose | PS+
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

It doesn't matter if the motorist, who pays a fortune in taxes, is inconvenienced.

Roadworks, temporary traffic lights, more traffic lights, road closures........... :evil: :evil: :evil:
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

£6 is cheap for a toll. Try driving across Sydney a couple of times a day! :lol: