2022 E-Macan?

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Guy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:08 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:46 pm Audi and Jaguar seem to have simply ignored that and just fitted a front grille anyway.
The iPace actually has half a grill - it's quite deceptive. The top section is open and the air flows through and out of the middle of the bonnet. I an not sure if they use this airflow for anything productive (aerodynamic or cooling), but it appears to be quite a clever compromise.
There is a documentary on the Jag and in it they did state that the grills were an aerodynamic aide to improve downforce on the front wheels.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Beetle and first porsches didn’t have grill either... looked good to me. Better than those awefull audi whale grills nowadays imo.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Orangebulldog wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:22 pm Beetle and first porsches didn’t have grill either... looked good to me. Better than those awefull audi whale grills nowadays imo.
+1
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 pm
Guy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:08 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:46 pm Audi and Jaguar seem to have simply ignored that and just fitted a front grille anyway.
The iPace actually has half a grill - it's quite deceptive. The top section is open and the air flows through and out of the middle of the bonnet. I an not sure if they use this airflow for anything productive (aerodynamic or cooling), but it appears to be quite a clever compromise.
There is a documentary on the Jag and in it they did state that the grills were an aerodynamic aide to improve downforce on the front wheels.
That could well be true, but it may have come at a price that the average owner is far more likely to notice in real world driving:-

https://insideevs.com/efficiency-jaguar-i-pace-falters/
johnd

Post by johnd »

Early indications are that Audi e-tron may not be that dissimilar in efficiency to the I-Pace - maybe the lower efficiency is a feature of larger, heavier, non-Tesla EVs though too little data really to be sure at this stage. Maybe Tesla's 7 years extra real-world production experience does make a difference?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Saw an I Pace today charging at a supermarket. The owner had let the overly long charging cable stray into the space next to it and someone in a ICE BMW had parked on top of it - I guess this is a new kind of ICEing!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

goron59 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:01 am Saw an I Pace today charging at a supermarket. The owner had let the overly long charging cable stray into the space next to it and someone in a ICE BMW had parked on top of it - I guess this is a new kind of ICEing!
:lol:

Groan
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I like the photo of the potential Macan EV...

As for the front grill I don’t mind either way.

The iPace front grill has a purpose. It is designed for airflow to cool the batteries. There is also a second reason but can’t remember off the top,of my head.
The Tesla’s cool the batteries from underneath the car I believe.

On the Audi there are actually only 4 slats open but it’s unclear what if anything they will be used for. Again maybe cooling batteries.

I think manufacturers are also trying to keep joe blogs happy and not changing designs etc too much.
GTS 😀
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:44 am Early indications are that Audi e-tron may not be that dissimilar in efficiency to the I-Pace - maybe the lower efficiency is a feature of larger, heavier, non-Tesla EVs though too little data really to be sure at this stage. Maybe Tesla's 7 years extra real-world production experience does make a difference?
Yes, I saw this article yesterday comparing real world efficiency of iPace, e-tron and Model X

https://electrek.co/2019/02/21/tesla-ef ... ar-i-pace/
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

With the EV's mentioned, drag coefficient doesn't really matter in real world terms. You are still going to have to stop on a long trip to recharge. Just a little earlier in the lower coefficient cars but 1 stop should suit them all on most long trips