Looking to buy a 911

The place to discuss everything else..
Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

Semerka wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:39 pm Also if buying privately, the seller can transfer the remainder of the Porsche Approved warranty (and Porsche Assitance) to the buyer, it stays with the car (if there is a warranty in the first place of course).

Here is link to the Porsche Approved Warranty flyer: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/re ... 8032dd5fd6

And a link to the Porsche approved used microsite: https://www.porsche.com/uk/approvedused ... eapproved/
Thanks for the links 🙂👍
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather

Red5

Post by Red5 »

Those two cars both look really great!
More generally regarding the choices......

991.1 has the classic 911 sound, which is amazing!
The steering was widely criticised though, as Porsche’s 1st stab at an electric system.
That, combined with 4wd makes this possibly the least enjoyable 911 to pilot :!:

The 4 will understeer more after apex, which is annoying, as that’s where you want the performance on the road!
Once you can see the road is clear, you want to open the taps, as we tend to be ‘slow in, fast out’ on road.
That’s where I liked the 4 least.

991.2 has the turbos, so feels way faster and does still sound good. Better than 95% of other cars still.
The steering is much improved and the turbos shove you up the road really well.
The cars have electronically managed boost, so do not just dump torque at low revs. You still need to rev them to get the best results. No boost surges or any other common turbo maladies seem to manifest themselves.

Generally a 2 will be nicer than a 4 for enthusiastic driving. Traction is a 911 strong point too, so even with 3/4 worn Pirelli PZN0, full throttle is fine in low gears, even before fully straightened with warm tyres.

The 2 has nicer uncorrupted steering generally.
The car tend to naturally adopt a neutral attitude past the apex, just waiting for power, without the 4 understeer tendency.

With the 4, you need to neutralise the attitude yourself, pre apex, which is more commitment.
Usually on a road, you can’t see if it’s clear at this point. I’ve discussed all this at length with some Silverstone PEC drivers, who generally don’t like the 4.
On track you can bully it, but it forces a particular technique, which is less fun. So many more options for fun on road, or track in a 2 :)

I’d personally never buy a second hand car with ceramics. They are just too easy to damage.
You can’t ever risk driving onto a verge or area where there might be grit/gravel etc. Turning around and gravel car parks are hugely risky.

Especially so if you have warm tyres. When you apply lock and turn slowly, the fronts pick up gravel and throw / lob them backwards in an arc. They can land in the rear wheel area.
If you are unlucky, one spec of gravel can come to a rest on the rear callipers, which are like a catchers mitt.
If this happened, the disc will be scrap, within one wheel rotation.

We had this happen to us, but with steels. Turned in a junction and crossed a slightly less swept area of tarmac.
SKREEEEEECCHHHHHHHHEEEE Sound came from the rear. I knew what had happened, so reversed 6ft and all was well.
Had it been a ceramic disc, we’s have needed a trailer to the nearest OPC and a wallet-ectomy, to the tune of two new discs.

I know people that live in constant fear of this, who’s driving enjoyment is ruined.
Porsche take longer to check the ceramic brakes than they do the whole rest of the car, when they take a trade in.
Some will own there ceramic equipped cars and never have an issue, but it is a bit of a Russian Roulette.

Keep posting links as you find them. I guess you need to be ready to call and throw down a deposit!
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I made a mistake in my initial reply, it is the Sports Seats PLUS that have a wider shoulder area, not the standard Sports Seats. 😃
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Red5 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:49 pm Those two cars both look really great!

The steering was widely criticised though, as Porsche’s 1st stab at an electric system.
That, combined with 4wd makes this possibly the least enjoyable 911 to pilot :!:

The 4 will understeer more after apex, which is annoying, as that’s where you want the performance on the road!
Once you can see the road is clear, you want to open the taps, as we tend to be ‘slow in, fast out’ on road.

991.2 has the turbos, so feels way faster and does still sound good. Better than 95% of other cars still.
The cars have electronically managed boost, so do not just dump torque at low revs. You still need to rev them to get the best results. No boost surges or any other common turbo maladies seem to manifest themselves.

Generally a 2 will be nicer than a 4 for enthusiastic driving. Traction is a 911 strong point too, so even with 3/4 worn Pirelli PZN0, full throttle is fine in low gears, even before fully straightened with warm tyres.

The car tend to naturally adopt a neutral attitude past the apex, just waiting for power, without the 4 understeer tendency.

With the 4, you need to neutralise the attitude yourself, pre apex, which is more commitment.
Usually on a road, you can’t see if it’s clear at this point. I’ve discussed all this at length with some Silverstone PEC drivers, who generally don’t like the 4.
On track you can bully it, but it forces a particular technique, which is less fun. So many more options for fun on road, or track in a 2 :)

I’d personally never buy a second hand car with ceramics. They are just too easy to damage.
You can’t ever risk driving onto a verge or area where there might be grit/gravel etc. Turning around and gravel car parks are hugely risky.

Especially so if you have warm tyres. When you apply lock and turn slowly, the fronts pick up gravel and throw / lob them backwards in an arc. They can land in the rear wheel area.
If you are unlucky, one spec of gravel can come to a rest on the rear callipers, which are like a catchers mitt.

We had this happen to us, but with steels. Turned in a junction and crossed a slightly less swept area of tarmac.
SKREEEEEECCHHHHHHHHEEEE Sound came from the rear. I knew what had happened, so reversed 6ft and all was well.
Had it been a ceramic disc, we’s have needed a trailer to the nearest OPC and a wallet-ectomy, to the tune of two new discs.

I know people that live in constant fear of this, who’s driving enjoyment is ruined.
Porsche take longer to check the ceramic brakes than they do the whole rest of the car, when they take a trade in.
Some will own there ceramic equipped cars and never have an issue, but it is a bit of a Russian Roulette.

Keep posting links as you find them. I guess you need to be ready to call and throw down a deposit!
Great post Red5! I’ve also seen huge grooves worn around the inside of rims caused by stones getting caught between the calliper and the rim on ceramic equipped cars.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

+1. That’s the best post I’ve read in ages, Red5, both on here and on the Rennlist 991 forum. I’m a big Porsche fan, but your technical knowledge is impressive! :)

Agree with Nick on the badly damaged wheels on cars with PCCBs, especially since front discs are now 410mm!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

Thank you Red5 ... very informative 👍.

Will post links as I find them but I need to be quicker as the good low mileage examples are selling the same day!
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Great post Red5! I’ve also seen huge grooves worn around the inside of rims caused by stones getting caught between the calliper and the rim on ceramic equipped cars.
Thank you :D

I’ve heard of that calliper / gravel / wheel issue, but never sen it. It was a racing car problem, after a visit to the kitty litter!

I really don’t think an OEM brake / wheel option should be in danger of creating that issue! At least it’s not a wheel ending occurrence, as aluminium is far softer and more malleable.
What a horrific row that must make!

Still, I’d not want to be on an Autobahn, with a wheel that had suffered the issue.
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:49 am +1. That’s the best post I’ve read in ages, Red5, both on here and on the Rennlist 991 forum. I’m a big Porsche fan, but your technical knowledge is impressive! :)

Agree with Nick on the badly damaged wheels on cars with PCCBs, especially since front discs are now 410mm!
Cheers WingCo :D

I do like the idea of the PCCB for the public road handling advantages, but I really do think they are too risky for me.
The repeatable stopping from high speed on track is also impressive, but the steels are also amazing with some more suitable pads and fluid.
Some track enthusiasts actually remove the PCCB for track use, to avoid the likely MASSIVE bill, should they have an off, or just crack them.
I just don’t think that technology is fully evolved yet.
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Hitman999 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:11 am

Thank you Red5 ... very informative 👍.

Will post links as I find them but I need to be quicker as the good low mileage examples are selling the same day!

You’re welcome :D
Semerka also noted and told me, that cars with rear steering can’t accept 19” winter wheel sets.
She specifically wanted to run a slightly smaller wheel with a higher profile tyre in winter, so this would have been an issue.

I’m not actually 100% sure why. It might be an electronic calibration thing?

Possibly not a deal breaker on the right car, but one more thing to be aware of I guess.

More internet shopping today I bet :P
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

All my guys take the ceramics off their track cars !

Never experienced any issues on steels and cheaper to replace.

I just don’t get them to be honest.

Can’t see you’ll notice and real tangible benefit on the road
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S