2021 Audi SQ5

The place to discuss everything else..
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

What's everyone's thoughts on the new SQ5, which presumably competes with the Macan?

Even given Audi's recent track record on this, I'm slightly surprised by the amount of fakery on it. A large grill on a car is supposed to imply performance; on the Audi most of it is blanked off. Air intakes in the front corners are usually required for intercoolers or the brakes; on the Audi they're blanked off again.

However the most disgusting thing about the car are the four fake quad pipes stuck onto the back bumper. The previous car was bad enough with the four squarish things that were quite obviously fake. However the new one has four full proper looking pipes that are designed to look real. What's the point? With the previous car it felt like Audi was too embarrassed to put full fake tips on, so went with the semi-fake ones. On the new car, it looks like it got over that embarrassment and just went for it. If you're not going to poke the exhausts through, why not just design something else into the bumper as per the e-Tron cars? Why pretend the car has four exhaust outlets when it hasn't?
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I’ve recently sold my 2018 Q5, and I thought the fake exhaust trim was just about acceptable, however, I agree that the fake grills on the front and rear of the new facelift models is way over the top, plus I really don’t like the ‘Chrome’ trim running at the bottom of the doors 👎.

Unfortunately, when you look at a lot of the other manufacturers new models, this seems to be the ‘in trend’ design at the moment, together with some horrendous front grills, especially on BMWs and some MBs!

Let’s just hope Porsche don’t follow this trend, as I just love the four exhaust pipes on my Macan S!! 👍👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon