BMW i3s

The place to discuss everything else..
Obebiker

Post by Obebiker »

My Dad has an i3, it’s getting on a bit, think it’s a 2014, he really likes it but can only really get about 70 miles when it’s cold.

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The I3S I had was giving 135 miles on a full charge against 175 official. The ID3 was 260 official and 185 actual. The BMW seemed a lot more realistic as the mileage seemed pretty accurate whereas the VW could drop 20 miles range after only a 10 mile trip. Both were in cold conditions with me using heater and heated seats. Proper driving as well rather than trying to preserve range as I was keen to see what they are like in real life use.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

MCDK wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 pm The I3S I had was giving 135 miles on a full charge against 175 official. The ID3 was 260 official and 185 actual. The BMW seemed a lot more realistic as the mileage seemed pretty accurate whereas the VW could drop 20 miles range after only a 10 mile trip. Both were in cold conditions with me using heater and heated seats. Proper driving as well rather than trying to preserve range as I was keen to see what they are like in real life use.
I could probably live the ID.3 as my main car if the battery doesn't degrade too much over a few years, but not the i3. If I was in the market for an ID.3 I would get the largest battery for sure.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Only issue is the larger battery in the ID3 is slower and takes longer to charge. If needing the 300 miles range then yes it’s the one but if someone can live the smaller range the 260 that is likely at least 200 in warmer conditions should be fine. Also the bigger battery car costs a lot more and is a 4 seater rather than 5 in the mid range car. There is a lower range car in the plan to bring it an even cheaper option which I guess for a lot of low mileage drivers will be fine.

The range on the BMW is a bit on the low side for sure but older models have been getting a much lower range and they have been useful cars for many people.
Deleted User 1874

The ID.3 is very disappointing in its rather pedestrian performance. It’s almost as if they’ve crippled it to protect their ICE sales. Tesla manage to combine a 360 mile range with supercar performance, while the ID.3 only has mediocre warm hatch performance and less range. A non-starter for me.

The BMW is at least interesting as a fun, quirky little city car. But it’s not the sort of car I would take seriously as an all-round family car.

If these were the only EVs on the market I’m not sure I’d bother with electric cars at all. At least not as my main car. They both have too many compromises for my liking. If I was forced to pick one it would be the ID.3 with the 77 kWh battery. It may be slower than the mid range version, but neither are going to set the world alight!
Deleted User 1874

MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:57 am Only issue is the larger battery in the ID3 is slower and takes longer to charge.
You will find in practice that the bigger battery actually charges faster (in terms of miles per hour) on a rapid charger. Once you get over 80% charge the charge rate throttles back and above 90% it is very slow. Therefore a bigger battery allows a faster charge rate for longer. When charging at home at 7 kWh they will both charge at exactly the same rate. Obviously the bigger battery will take longer to get to 100%.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

You aren’t being fair in your comparisons here either. How much is a Model 3 with Supercar performance and 360 miles? It sure is a lot more than the £30k needed for an Id.3 and I have seen pre reg I3S from £28k upwards. The Tesla’s aren’t anywhere near that level.
Deleted User 1874

MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:40 pm You aren’t being fair in your comparisons here either. How much is a Model 3 with Supercar performance and 360 miles? It sure is a lot more than the £30k needed for an Id.3 and I have seen pre reg I3S from £28k upwards. The Tesla’s aren’t anywhere near that level.
£48k for a 360 mile range and dual motors.

Base Tesla in the UK is £40k, I think just £1k more than the i3S. Yet it easily outperforms the BMW and still has 100 miles more range. There is a £30k lower spec Model 3, they just don’t sell it in the UK.

I’m not surprised you can get big discounts on the BMW. They put it more in line with what it’s actually worth. I certainly wouldn’t pay anywhere near list.

As for the ID.3 I was particularly disappointed with the £40k version. Like you said yourself, it’s even slower than the cheaper versions. The £30k version actually sounds like much better value. But I haven’t seen inside one.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

And as I said I earlier an I3S with delivery mileage is £27 to £28k nothing like list and a load cheaper than even the base Model 3 in the UK. The fit and finish of the BMW are excellent which is a strong plus point for me especially at the relatively low cost price.
Deleted User 1874

MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:12 pm And as I said I earlier an I3S with delivery mileage is £27 to £28k nothing like list and a load cheaper than even the base Model 3 in the UK. The fit and finish of the BMW are excellent which is a strong plus point for me especially at the relatively low cost price.
I'm just saying BMW list price is over-inflated for what it is. 30% off list price? That's more like buying a DFS sofa! Tesla don't do discounting, which is why residuals remain so strong. Not unlike Porsche in that respect. I looked at used Model 3s and the saving over new was so small it wasn't even worth considering. Bodes well later down the line when selling on.

The i3s at £27k seems like reasonable value to me. It's about where it should be really. Fit and finish are good, but my mate who has one and a Tesla tells me it feels like the stone age inside compared to his Tesla. But that doesn't really surprise me. He still likes driving the i3 though, so must be fun. I had a very close look at an i8 a couple of years ago when prices tanked and the interior on that car was truly awful. Not what I expected at all and quite cheap looking.

Having now had a Model 3 for a few weeks, I'm not finding much to complain about on fit and finish, especially the interior, which is stunning. Exterior fit is not so good, but not by any means horrific and easily fixable. The UI is unbeatable IMHO. My slight reservations about losing even more buttons are already long gone. For the money it is a very hard package to beat and definitely worth every penny of the list price.