BMW i3s

The place to discuss everything else..
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Scaramanga wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 am Thanks (in part) to this thread, I’ve just bought an i3s impulsively.

My first EV, will report back after I’ve had a chance to live with it.
Did you buy new or used? What colour and spec?

I enjoyed my test drive before Christmas and hopefully can try One again after lockdown

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Peteski wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:00 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 am ...or £45,000...?!? 🤔

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/mod ... -sale-date
I think this is about where UK variants will start. But Tesla have just announced a lower cost “budget” version, so hard to predict.

Current Model 3 starts at around £40k in the UK, but there are cheaper base specs available in some regions. Model Y will be a little more expensive.
Not on your own there it seems, read somewhere that a lot of S drivers trade down to model 3 and like you a lot of X drivers will trade down to a model Y Not a great business model for Tesla as much lower profit margins on the lower range cars.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

MCDK wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:25 pm Did you buy new or used? What colour and spec?

I enjoyed my test drive before Christmas and hopefully can try One again after lockdown
Bought used, spec is below (i3S):
  • Fluid black / highlight blue
    Leather vernascca
    20” double spoke wheels
    Privacy glass
    Floor mats
    Fine wood trim oak
    PDC front and rear
    HK
    CarPlay
    Online enternative
    Interior world suite
    I3S Plus package
Used with 17k miles. Arriving with me Friday!

Never driven one. Let’s hope I like it!
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Rab J wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:34 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 am ...or £45,000...?!? 🤔

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/mod ... -sale-date
I think this is about where UK variants will start. But Tesla have just announced a lower cost “budget” version, so hard to predict.

Current Model 3 starts at around £40k in the UK, but there are cheaper base specs available in some regions. Model Y will be a little more expensive.
Not on your own there it seems, read somewhere that a lot of S drivers trade down to model 3 and like you a lot of X drivers will trade down to a model Y Not a great business model for Tesla as much lower profit margins on the lower range cars.
I think Tesla are planning to sell a LOT more cars in the lower price bracket. Model S/X are due a major refresh next year, so that will boost their sales. I may well be tempted by a new X, but the Y is probably big enough for our needs. In the US market people actually consider the X to be quite small and the Y certainly compact. I think their business model is working pretty well given current stock value!
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Scaramanga wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:39 pm
MCDK wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:25 pm Did you buy new or used? What colour and spec?

Bought used, spec is below (i3S):
  • Fluid black / highlight blue
    Leather vernascca
    20” double spoke wheels
    Privacy glass
    Floor mats
    Fine wood trim oak
    PDC front and rear
    HK
    CarPlay
    Online enternative
    Interior world suite
    I3S Plus package
Used with 17k miles. Arriving with me Friday!

Never driven one. Let’s hope I like it!
A test drive first might have been a good plan to be sure you like it! They are very rapid around town and handle nicely. You really don’t need to use the brake pedal at all if you can anticipate things ok. The ride is pretty harsh and plenty of road noise with the big wheels would be maybe a negative from me but again also depends a lot on what type of roads you are on and speed. I did really enjoy the drive but for me it’s about deciding between I3S and ID3 if I go all environmentally friendly.
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Yup. All sounds consistent with what I’ve read and heard from others. Pretty much everyone I know (who has one) says they are super. The one pedal driving intrigues me, can’t wait to try it out!!
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The one pedal driving is very easy. It really does start slowing quite rapidly as soon as you lift off the throttle so in traffic or road ends so long as you back off the throttle early enough you just coast to a stop. And it does put the brake lights on when doing this as I checked that to be sure.

They are a superb car. My only concerns were the ride quality and road noise as mentioned above. Also a bit unsure about the practicality with the rear doors and small boot if it’s to be used with passengers in the rear regularly which is where my ID3 thoughts come in as it’s extremely roomy and much bigger inside even than a similarly sized Golf.

Range on the I3 isn’t great at about 130 real world driving but given my trips aren’t long that maybe isn’t a huge problem but just means more frequent charging is needed.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Peteski wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:43 pm
Rab J wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:34 pm

I think Tesla are planning to sell a LOT more cars in the lower price bracket. Model S/X are due a major refresh next year, so that will boost their sales. I may well be tempted by a new X, but the Y is probably big enough for our needs. In the US market people actually consider the X to be quite small and the Y certainly compact. I think their business model is working pretty well given current stock value!
Tesla do make decent cars but their share price smacks of .com
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:03 am The one pedal driving is very easy. It really does start slowing quite rapidly as soon as you lift off the throttle so in traffic or road ends so long as you back off the throttle early enough you just coast to a stop. And it does put the brake lights on when doing this as I checked that to be sure.

They are a superb car. My only concerns were the ride quality and road noise as mentioned above. Also a bit unsure about the practicality with the rear doors and small boot if it’s to be used with passengers in the rear regularly which is where my ID3 thoughts come in as it’s extremely roomy and much bigger inside even than a similarly sized Golf.

Range on the I3 isn’t great at about 130 real world driving but given my trips aren’t long that maybe isn’t a huge problem but just means more frequent charging is needed.
Thanks! Very good feedback. The id3 range looks much better on paper, for sure.

Just think it looks a bit functional whereas the i3 seems to have more street cred (for what it matters!).
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Rab J wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:27 am Tesla do make decent cars but their share price smacks of .com
So I was told by the forum financial gurus about 3 years ago, lol. But maybe the price today is a bit hyped!

What I do still see from the mainstream auto industry is a massive conflict of interests in going down the EV path. BMW themselves seem to have stalled, with no obvious future plan for their i series.