BMW i3s

The place to discuss everything else..
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Connoisseur wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:30 pm We’ve had our 94ah i3s Rex for 2+ years now. For us a versatile, great handling EV which reeks of quality and has proved v. reliable. The CF composite structure is taut and safe; it has fun handling and a great presence. Software and systems firmware is well proven now which is a boon. It should be off lease in September, but I suspect it will not be going anywhere😅
How do you find the DAB radio reception in your I3? On my test drive I found it dropped out in places my other cars are totally fine. On a Google search it seems to be an issue with the I3 with the carbon fibre being blamed.

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

F1 Nut wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm I've been running an i3s on a lease since March 2018 alongside my 540i... and I love both cars for very different reasons.

I've used the i3s for both long and short journeys. In fact we've done 26,000 miles in it, mostly taking the kids to school and supermarket runs and for this purpose, it's absolutely brilliant. Pre-lockdown, 85% of my journeys were 5-20mile round trips.

I test drove the regular i3, but for me, it was too 'skitty'. The S version sits on a lower suspension setup and has wider tyres front and rear - and it transforms the ride for the better in my humble opinion. Don't get me wrong, it still doesn't corner well but it is damn good fun. We have the 94kwh version - typically BMW increased the battery to 120 a few weeks later, but even so, we get 110 mile range in the winter and 150 in the summer. It is plenty. It has air-con, heated seats, pre-warming - especially great to defrost the windows! We do have the ability to plug in overnight, so perhaps twice per week, it goes on charge. And it costs peanuts to run. Power delivery is smooth and immediate. One-pedal driving is so easy after a few hours of driving, you learn to judge resistance on lift-off, I hardly ever use the brake pedal.

When we first got the car, I took it on a round trip from home to Bristol, around 160 miles or so. It's okay at 70mph, but it does require your attention as it's quite susceptible to cross wind. And at that speed, the battery depletes with greater wind resistance. Back then, I had all sorts of issues with downloading apps, a charging station that didn't work or were blocked by a non-electric car in the electric bay. Instead, I got out of Bristol after my meeting, stopped at the services, grabbed a sandwich and by the time I had eaten, the car had another 70 miles or so of charge to get home. No problem whatsoever.

Unfortunately, mainly due to lockdown, we will not be renewing the i3s. My wife's X2 still has a couple of years on her contract. My 540 comes to the end of its agreement in April, when I will finally be able to get behind the Macan wheel. I love petrol cars too much to make the full switch and my mileage has reduced that 2 cars really isn't required. Technology is improving every month on EV's, it's not mature enough for me yet, we're very much in the electric infancy. As much as Tesla are leading the way, their lack of build-quality would drive me insane!

But for anyone considering an i3, get the s version, it'll put a smile on your face every time you drive it. Great fun and if circumstances were different, I'd have another in a heartbeat.
Great to hear a review from a real world driver. Also agree the S model is the one to go for and makes it look great.

You talk of school runs and supermarket trips. How do you find the practicality, the rear doors look like they could be a bit awkward and annoying. I have 2 teenage kids in the back so they can’t just easily jump out in their own with the suicide doors.
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

MCDK wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:09 am
Connoisseur wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:30 pm We’ve had our 94ah i3s Rex for 2+ years now. For us a versatile, great handling EV which reeks of quality and has proved v. reliable. The CF composite structure is taut and safe; it has fun handling and a great presence. Software and systems firmware is well proven now which is a boon. It should be off lease in September, but I suspect it will not be going anywhere😅
How do you find the DAB radio reception in your I3? On my test drive I found it dropped out in places my other cars are totally fine. On a Google search it seems to be an issue with the I3 with the carbon fibre being blamed.
tbh never had an issue with the DAB, and am not seeing how the CF would create a problem. Have had issues with DAB in a range of cars due to poor implementation in the UK. Overall the i3 sound system works well for us, with the wire free Apple Car Play a real boon.
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Is CarPlay wireless in the i3 ? Or is this via one of those adapters/dongles ?
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

Peteski wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:56 pm
F1 Nut wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm We have the 94kwh version
More like a 30 kWh battery. Think you meant 94 Ah, which makes it sound a lot bigger.
Yes, I couldn't recall the correct letters... :lol:
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

F1 Nut wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:51 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:56 pm
F1 Nut wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm We have the 94kwh version
More like a 30 kWh battery. Think you meant 94 Ah, which makes it sound a lot bigger.
Yes, I couldn't recall the correct letters... :lol:
I think BMW deliberately chose to quote battery capacity in Ah just to make it look better.
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

MCDK wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:14 am
Great to hear a review from a real world driver. Also agree the S model is the one to go for and makes it look great.

You talk of school runs and supermarket trips. How do you find the practicality, the rear doors look like they could be a bit awkward and annoying. I have 2 teenage kids in the back so they can’t just easily jump out in their own with the suicide doors.
My kids are not yet in their teens, but I could imagine it being a squeeze as they get older and taller. The doors can be a bit cumbersome if the car parked next to you is close. You do get used to them, but you're right, you can only open the rear door if the front door is open. The front seat belt system is housed in the rear door too. The boot is not massive, but large enough to get the weeks shopping in. I drop the seats for the golf clubs as there's no way they will fit!

Parking is a doddle though, especially with the neat size, and being rear-wheel drive, turns like a house-fly! Rear camera is very good too, though gets dirty quite easily and I often give it a quick 'rub of the thumb' as a pass by.

Something else I forgot to mention, it drives really well in the snow! BMW fitted a superb traction-control module to the i3 which cuts in so quick, slippage is very minimal. I guess it's easier and quicker to mute the electric power than rely on the brakes to do the work on a petrol/diesel vehicle. Other rear-wheel drive BMW's I've had have been absolutely useless in the snow.

Someone above mentioned the DAB radio - never had a issue with ours, has worked faultlessly. Never used Apple car play though, hardly had a journey long-enough to warrant using it :lol:
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Interesting they are good in the snow. I had assumed the opposite given how normal rear drive BMWs are.

Been getting some quotes today on brand new I3S, looks like a year or two old would be the way to go as discounts on new are not great. There are loads of low mileage 2019 and 2020 cars available but generally would involve buying at a distance which is a bit of a worry in case there are any marks as I’m a bit anal about car condition.

Conversely if going ID.3 a brand new one seems the best value.
pmg

Post by pmg »

MCDK wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:45 pm Interesting they are good in the snow. I had assumed the opposite given how normal rear drive BMWs are.

Very narrow tyres just like late 60's rallying SAAB 96's
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
pmg

Post by pmg »

pmg wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:22 pm
MCDK wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:45 pm Interesting they are good in the snow. I had assumed the opposite given how normal rear drive BMWs are.

Very narrow tyres just like late 60's rallying SAAB 96's

For the same reason, 18 and 19 's make better winter sets for a Macan than 20 and 21's
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8