Base Taycan for £70k.

The place to discuss everything else..
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Just yesterday I read that a Company called StoreDot, has developed a system that can fully charge an electric car battery in 5 minutes. And some have been mass produced to show that it's not a one off manufacture. Now that must be a real game changer for prospective buyers of new cars.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

TheTraveller wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:17 pm Just yesterday I read that a Company called StoreDot, has developed a system that can fully charge an electric car battery in 5 minutes. And some have been mass produced to show that it's not a one off manufacture. Now that must be a real game changer for prospective buyers of new cars.
Have you bought shares in it yet? Could make you millions overnight if true. Initial questions I would have:-

1. What capacity of battery are we talking about?
2. How many times can you charge it that fast before it dies?
3. Where are you going to find a charger with the kind of power required to charge up that fast?
pmg

Post by pmg »

Peteski wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:28 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:17 pm Just yesterday I read that a Company called StoreDot, has developed a system that can fully charge an electric car battery in 5 minutes. And some have been mass produced to show that it's not a one off manufacture. Now that must be a real game changer for prospective buyers of new cars.
Have you bought shares in it yet? Could make you millions overnight if true. Initial questions I would have:-

3. Where are you going to find a charger with the kind of power required to charge up that fast?
This the Guardian report from yesterday

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ging-times
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Peteski wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:13 pm
MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 pm Not sure you can compare a Model 3 with a Taycan, even a base Taycan. Very different cars!
That’s right. Which one is supposed to be the sports car again? How disappointed would you be if you climbed into your prestige £70k (more like £80k+ with basic options) sports car and found that it was much slower than your daily runabout? Not acceptable I’m afraid.
You must have a lot of points on your licence as we all we hear about is the speed of the Tesla’s. That is very one dimensional for me. The quality and driving experience never mind the perception of brand of the Taycan far exceeds a Model 3.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

And at 0-60 in just over 5 seconds it more than adequate for most. My Macan Gts was at that level and I certainly never thought it pedestrian and a whole lot faster than most daily runarounds on the road.
Deleted User 1874

MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:08 pm And at 0-60 in just over 5 seconds it more than adequate for most. My Macan Gts was at that level and I certainly never thought it pedestrian and a whole lot faster than most daily runarounds on the road.
Poor excuse for mediocre EV performance in what is supposedly a cutting edge sports car.
Deleted User 1874

MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:06 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:13 pm
MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 pm Not sure you can compare a Model 3 with a Taycan, even a base Taycan. Very different cars!
That’s right. Which one is supposed to be the sports car again? How disappointed would you be if you climbed into your prestige £70k (more like £80k+ with basic options) sports car and found that it was much slower than your daily runabout? Not acceptable I’m afraid.
You must have a lot of points on your licence as we all we hear about is the speed of the Tesla’s. That is very one dimensional for me. The quality and driving experience never mind the perception of brand of the Taycan far exceeds a Model 3.
But it's still too slow. Even my base Model X 7-seater family hauler is considerably faster.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Peteski wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:28 pm

It's an Israeli company, but the manufacturing process is in China. I would expect that the Chinese Government may have a big involvement in the company. Can I assume that you've had a look at the report in the media, for more info?
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Speed is't the only factor for buying a car. I've not driven a Tesla yet but the one I looked at in detail in their LA showroom a couple of years ago wasn't the quality item I was hoping for and that seems to have been confirmed by the numerous reports of body parts randomly falling off while on the move. Perhaps the reason they're fast is due to their ability to shed weight at speed ;)
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25