Base Taycan for £70k.

The place to discuss everything else..
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

No doubt EVs are the thing of the future but they have all the excitement of white goods to me. Teslas are ok cars, I have had a hard look around them at Goodwood but see them as more of a Ford or Seat competitor IMHO.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Rab J wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:14 pm No doubt EVs are the thing of the future but they have all the excitement of white goods to me. Teslas are ok cars, I have had a hard look around them at Goodwood but see them as more of a Ford or Seat competitor IMHO.
They just provide a different sort of excitement with their instant response and massive torque. Something that your average TDi never managed at all. Even modern turbo petrol engines are a bit soulless and now seem crude in comparison to electric. I would imagine the Taycan is more fun to drive than a Panamera. Although this base model looks crippled.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

It’s still all about “fast” lol. I like a car with a bit of character, something you can feel powering through the gears whether manual or auto, getting the gears right for corners etc. Something that you push a button and press a throttle and go is all a bit bland.

White goods as Rab says.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 pm It’s still all about “fast” lol. I like a car with a bit of character, something you can feel powering through the gears whether manual or auto, getting the gears right for corners etc. Something that you push a button and press a throttle and go is all a bit bland.

White goods as Rab says.
I agree completely - there are series of roads that lead to the South Downs from my house where I often take the dog, like I did this morning

I can confidently say that I get the most pleasure doing those roads in the Seat than either the Lotus or 911. You are driving it near its limits as you flow along the country lanes with great visibility

Point and squirt is indeed boring as is carrying unnecessary weight
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Totally agree. Some of the most fun is in getting the best from an under dog. My runaround cars are often the best to throw around as it’s all about keeping momentum and knowing how to work the engine and gears to best benefit. My old dog carrier was a 60 bhp Polo but I really was sad to sell it, replaced by a Mini Countryman SD which I also love for all the same reasons. Whilst I have been investigating EVs to replace my Mini I’m kinda coming to the thought that an EV would be fine for a company car bought with someone else’s money where the aim was to keep benefit in kind tax down but if it’s my own money I think it may have an engine, gearbox and need to stop at a filling station now and again.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:17 pm Totally agree. Some of the most fun is in getting the best from an under dog. My runaround cars are often the best to throw around as it’s all about keeping momentum and knowing how to work the engine and gears to best benefit. My old dog carrier was a 60 bhp Polo but I really was sad to sell it, replaced by a Mini Countryman SD which I also love for all the same reasons. Whilst I have been investigating EVs to replace my Mini I’m kinda coming to the thought that an EV would be fine for a company car bought with someone else’s money where the aim was to keep benefit in kind tax down but if it’s my own money I think it may have an engine, gearbox and need to stop at a filling station now and again.
I don't regret going back to Petrol after 5 years of Leafs. I liked them but you can get 50+ mpg out of the Seat relatively easily so fuel isn't massive issue and you can have the heater on all the time, go further than you might be able to in an electric , chuck it around more (less weight) etc etc
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Deleted User 1874

Tracky wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 pm
MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 pm It’s still all about “fast” lol. I like a car with a bit of character, something you can feel powering through the gears whether manual or auto, getting the gears right for corners etc. Something that you push a button and press a throttle and go is all a bit bland.

White goods as Rab says.
I agree completely - there are series of roads that lead to the South Downs from my house where I often take the dog, like I did this morning

I can confidently say that I get the most pleasure doing those roads in the Seat than either the Lotus or 911. You are driving it near its limits as you flow along the country lanes with great visibility

Point and squirt is indeed boring as is carrying unnecessary weight
That’s why I still have a classic 911. It’s genuinely tactile, light and feels connected to the road. The last modern 911 I owned that still had any real character was a 996 C2 with a few Manthey tweaks. I had a 997 C4S PDK after that, which was faster, but actually pretty dull to drive. It was pretty to look at, but didn’t sound anything special or offer all that much driving engagement. I borrowed a 991 for a weekend with a view to upgrading, but didn’t bother. It sounded slightly better with fake intake noise, but otherwise not a lot different. Dare I say the Model 3 is more fun and certainly more practical.
Deleted User 1874

MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:17 pm Totally agree. Some of the most fun is in getting the best from an under dog. My runaround cars are often the best to throw around as it’s all about keeping momentum and knowing how to work the engine and gears to best benefit. My old dog carrier was a 60 bhp Polo but I really was sad to sell it, replaced by a Mini Countryman SD which I also love for all the same reasons. Whilst I have been investigating EVs to replace my Mini I’m kinda coming to the thought that an EV would be fine for a company car bought with someone else’s money where the aim was to keep benefit in kind tax down but if it’s my own money I think it may have an engine, gearbox and need to stop at a filling station now and again.
Gone off the idea of an i3s or ID.3 then? Although I can’t get excited about the latter, I’d still take it over a Golf TDi or even a GTi. There are not many modern ICE drivetrains that I would consider acceptable now I’ve been spoilt.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Peteski wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:21 pm
That’s why I still have a classic 911. It’s genuinely tactile, light and feels connected to the road. The last modern 911 I owned that still had any real character was a 996 C2 with a few Manthey tweaks. I had a 997 C4S PDK after that, which was faster, but actually pretty dull to drive. It was pretty to look at, but didn’t sound anything special or offer all that much driving engagement. I borrowed a 991 for a weekend with a view to upgrading, but didn’t bother. It sounded slightly better with fake intake noise, but otherwise not a lot different. Dare I say the Model 3 is more fun and certainly more practical.
Shame the 996 was so ugly but I suspect yours was a great car if Manthey breathed on it

I suspect the earlier models are more fun to drive on the public roads but sadly as I'm young I've missed those opportunities, the oldest I've driven are a number of 997RSs.

As for a Model 3 being more fun to drive than a 997, I'll have to leave that there!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Deleted User 1874

Tracky wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:10 pm
Peteski wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:21 pm
Shame the 996 was so ugly but I suspect yours was a great car if Manthey breathed on it

I suspect the earlier models are more fun to drive on the public roads but sadly as I'm young I've missed those opportunities, the oldest I've driven are a number of 997RSs.

As for a Model 3 being more fun to drive than a 997, I'll have to leave that there!
A few of my other previous 911 highlights include:-

1977 Carrera 3.0. Very nice road car. Plenty of character and fun to blat around country lanes.

1993 964 RS. A lot of fun, but factory damper settings were crazy stiff, especially fronts. A real bone shaker and way too harsh for many uk roads.

1973 2.4S which was absolutely stunning on our local backroads. Properly scary handling at speed, amazing sound, shit gearbox. Wish I'd never sold it, but couldn't resist cashing in after prices went ballistic.

1982 3.0 SC Sport. Still own this car. It's probably the best compromise of the classic 911s. Very similar to the earlier Carrera 3.0 but slightly more refined. Quite good for touring.

The Manthey tuned 996 I had was pretty nice too. It was a facelift 2004, so not quite so ugly as the fried egg cars. Actually looked pretty good.

My 997.2 was just another car really. Had nothing like the character of any of the above. It was fast and easy to drive, but a bit overrated if you ask me. I was bored of it after a year, sold it after 2 and never given it a second thought since. The Model 3 is obviously a completely different animal, but I just find it more interesting to drive. You'd be surprised how many Porsche fans have found similar results. I'll leave these here for you to examine when you get bored!