Base Taycan for £70k.

The place to discuss everything else..
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

How does your big lumpy Model X handle compared to a Taycan? It’s one dimensional if all it does is accelerate fast and that really isn’t a huge appeal to that many owners. The Taycan is a much more complete and desirable package.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:00 pm How does your big lumpy Model X handle compared to a Taycan? It’s one dimensional if all it does is accelerate fast and that really isn’t a huge appeal to that many owners. The Taycan is a much more complete and desirable package.
The Model X actually handles surprisingly well for a large 7 seat SUV. But you should be asking me how it handles compared to a Cayenne or Range Rover. I bought it to carry large amounts of stuff around, which it can do really well. For sure better than a Taycan as a big family hauler. The fact that it can also accelerate faster than this Taycan (by a fair margin too) would lead me to believe that the base Taycan drivetrain would be somewhat underwhelming. The £100k+ versions are more like what I would have expected, but too expensive to consider.

It always makes me laugh when critics say that Teslas are one-dimensional. It couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve never owned a more versatile car than the Model X. The Model 3 is also a very practical all-round package.
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

Have you seen the lovely charging point they make for the Taycan? Costs about 1000k.I hope they offer this for the electric Macan.
Deleted User 1874

Rhys2004 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:36 pm Have you seen the lovely charging point they make for the Taycan? Costs about 1000k.I hope they offer this for the electric Macan.
Now that is expensive!
If it has a plug on the end then it will work on the EV Macan too.

Or are you talking about that wireless charger built into your driveway/garage?
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

MCDK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:00 pm How does your big lumpy Model X handle compared to a Taycan? It’s one dimensional if all it does is accelerate fast and that really isn’t a huge appeal to that many owners. The Taycan is a much more complete and desirable package.
On one childish drive home one night I was driving enthusiastically behind a 3 Performance around some twisty roads and it looked an absolutely mess on the corners.

He couldn’t pull away on the straights either - yes I was in the 992

The following week a realised it was somebody I had just played badminton with that night. I know he is an ok driver so would have been trying. As far not getting away on the straights at all he said the car doesn’t give full Performance if it is low on charge. Sounded like an excuse for me

So no Tesla will be a drivers car but I suspect the Taycan is awesome, I’ve just not got to drive one yet unfortunately
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Don’t you know Teslas are the fastest thing on the road lol. I think we have been told that a few times so clearly the guy you were up against was not trying.

Or it’s just fast in a straight line and can’t corner. Or he had to be careful in case some body panels fell off if he cornered too fast!
Deleted User 1874

Tracky wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:17 pm
On one childish drive home one night I was driving enthusiastically behind a 3 Performance around some twisty roads and it looked an absolutely mess on the corners.

He couldn’t pull away on the straights either - yes I was in the 992

The following week a realised it was somebody I had just played badminton with that night. I know he is an ok driver so would have been trying. As far not getting away on the straights at all he said the car doesn’t give full Performance if it is low on charge. Sounded like an excuse for me

So no Tesla will be a drivers car but I suspect the Taycan is awesome, I’ve just not got to drive one yet unfortunately
Hard to argue with anecdotes like that!

But anyway here’s a bog standard Model 3P at the ring. Standard brake pads faded, but otherwise kept a GT3 RS honest.

From my own perspective having owned many 911s, I can say that the Model 3 handles pretty impressively on our back roads around Silverstone. Mine is on standard suspension with 18” wheels, which I suspect is the better choice over the lowered suspension and 20” wheels on the P. Now I’m sure you could keep up in your 992 because neither car would be anywhere near it’s limit on a public road. You would have to go to the track to see which was quickest overall and there’s already plenty of objective data out there showing the Model 3 is indeed competitive.

I’m sure the Taycan is awesome too, but it’s a very heavy car. Makes the Model 3 and your 992 look like lightweights. So not sure it would be at it’s best hooning down tight twisty roads with oncoming traffic. Seems more of a GT car like the Panamera to me.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:15 pm
But anyway here’s a bog standard Model 3P at the ring. Standard brake pads faded, but otherwise kept a GT3 RS honest.

I was bored so I've just watched that video

I'm not sure that the 3P is keeping the RS "honest" - clearly the Tesla driver knows the track and the RS guy doesn't - you can hear from the sound (of the Porker!!) that he is not trying anywhere near hard enough and applying the power much later than he could

I think this is confirmed by the fact that the 3P is more likely to be keeping the mini "honest" which of course is a different animal to a Beetle RS!

I'm off to order my chinese now !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Deleted User 1874

Tracky wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:22 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:15 pm

I was bored so I've just watched that video

I'm not sure that the 3P is keeping the RS "honest" - clearly the Tesla driver knows the track and the RS guy doesn't - you can hear from the sound (of the Porker!!) that he is not trying anywhere near hard enough and applying the power much later than he could

I think this is confirmed by the fact that the 3P is more likely to be keeping the mini "honest" which of course is a different animal to a Beetle RS!

I'm off to order my chinese now !
Hard to tell if the RS driver was trying or not, I'll take your word for it he wasn't. I don't think the Tesla driver was trying all that hard either to be honest, but yes he does know the track very well. I do see that the lap record for a GT3 RS is 6:56 vs 7:44 for a Model 3. I'd say that's pretty quick for a family saloon and not very far at all off a Taycan Turbo S, which is only about 30 secs faster. For sure the base Taycan would be slower by a fair margin.

Back on real roads it's definitely not a "mess" going round corners. I have nearly 30 years of experience as a race engineer so have a pretty reasonable idea what is and is not decent handling. If you don't believe me you should have a go in one, you might be surprised.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

The Model 3, or any current ev, doesn't look like a car you would make any excuse to drive. What the do they no doubt do with great effeciency, but I'm guessing without any emotion.