Big Brother is coming.

The place to discuss everything else..
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

It looks like from next year, it will be mandatory for all new vehicles from manufacture, will have to be fitted with, what is in essence a governor, to automatically reduce the speed to match the limit of the road it is on. Seems to me the only way possible, without vast amounts on money spent on infastructure, is via GPS.
What the report stated, was that after a time of excess speed, it will drop to the limit.
There may be a new type of electronic businesses starting up, to implement ways of defeating the system.

paulmac

Post by paulmac »

Has a new report been produced recently? Last time I read about ISA it will need to be turned on by default but could be switched off. Another setting to change along side stop/start.

As shared in the press ... ISA technology is a vehicle safety speed-limiting feature. It uses GPS information, video and a digital map to detect what the speed limit is. It alerts drivers to the speed limit and can intervene if motorists fail to slow down. If drivers do not apply the brakes after a series of alerts, the vehicle reduces power to the engine and the car will naturally slow down to the new speed limit. It is possible to override the system in certain circumstances - e.g. when overtaking a lorry on a motorway and entering a lower speed limit area - by pushing down hard on the accelerator. But if you remain above the speed limit then the system will sound a warning and display a visual alert, which will remain in place until the driver is within the speed limit. The system will be switched on by default, but it will be possible to turn it off.

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981
pmg

Post by pmg »

Unfortunately, there has to be a video /camera element because of changeable speed limits., eg on smart motorways and roadworks etc

On the two cars I have had with speed limit reporting, both on and off have been fooled by sign positioning. A classic example is when travelling west on the A27 Brighton Bypass past the Amex stadium, the A27 is duel carriageway with a 70 limit but the two lanes exiting to go into central Brighton just after exit have a 40 limit which the cameras pick up and show when staying on the main road
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I agree with PMG they seem to flawed to me

Overall the system on my previous AMG e class was pretty good but I could be sat in roadworks with the adaptive cruise on due to the speed cameras and then every so often the cars camera would pick up the districted speed sign on a slip road and start speeding me up to 70mph despite still being in the roadworks 😳
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Looking at the press reports, it's what we're left with from the EU. It says that the ETSC, The European Transport Safety Council, has approved the proposal, which would make the fitting of such devices to all vehicles sold in Europe.
It goes on to say that at first there would be an on off switch, but that would be linked to the gas pedal, as said to be used in an emergency.
What's more scary, a data log would be fitted also. I'm sure that at sometime in the future the insurers would want access to that data.
On a more positive note, Grant Shapps has got approval from the remaining 27 EU countries, that no extra driving licence/permits are needed to drive in thier countries. But as before green cards must be carried.
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^👍
(Provided you have a photo-card licence and not the “old” paper version.)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

TheTraveller wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 pm Looking at the press reports, it's what we're left with from the EU. It says that the ETSC, The European Transport Safety Council, has approved the proposal, which would make the fitting of such devices to all vehicles sold in Europe.
It goes on to say that at first there would be an on off switch, but that would be linked to the gas pedal, as said to be used in an emergency.
What's more scary, a data log would be fitted also. I'm sure that at sometime in the future the insurers would want access to that data.
On a more positive note, Grant Shapps has got approval from the remaining 27 EU countries, that no extra driving licence/permits are needed to drive in thier countries. But as before green cards must be carried.
As I understand it they can no longer chase you for any driving offences when you get back home either (not that I'm condoning such activity of course).
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Miopyk wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:26 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 pm Looking at the press reports, it's what we're left with from the EU. It says that the ETSC, The European Transport Safety Council, has approved the proposal, which would make the fitting of such devices to all vehicles sold in Europe.
As I understand it they can no longer chase you for any driving offences when you get back home either (not that I'm condoning such activity of course).
Indeed.
Game on
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

On the wife's Volvo XC40 the system has been known to read the speed signs on the back of lorries especially those from the EU plus signs on slip roads. Driving though road works on the M1 at 50 when the car read the 60 on the back of s lorry and sped up. Too clever so switched that off permanently.