Indeterminable order delays

The place to discuss everything else..
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Hi all.
Not sure if there is already a thread, so apologies for any duplication. I put a deposit down on a Cayenne GTS early Jan (Porsche Reading), and have been told that they can give no date for build. Now I know it's quite common to wait a few months, but they are suggesting that Q4 is a possibility but they have absolutely no idea. Having only had 1 previous Porsche which was delivered quickly, is this normal because I have a few baseless theories.

1. The shortage in microchips is having a massive impact
2. Impact of Brexit with all the extra paperwork now required hence a focus on other markets around the world
3. Desire to focus on Taycans to make a big impact in the electric market and boast about how Porsche are producing more low emissions cars

Thing is, they have a £3k deposit and I'm currently driving around a crappy electric Peugeot (which was meant to be our 3rd car) and have no idea whether to shop elsewhere or wait. For all I know it could be 2022 and the car could be out of date by the time it arrives.

Any thoughts from the more seasoned Porsche people on here? All I want from them is an honest assessment so that I can plan accordingly. It's not like I'm ordering a rare limited edition special or something.

Thanks,
Paul
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Don’t think your chosen OPC is misleading you, clearly when you placed your order they did not have an open build slot to give you and they (like all other OPC’s) actually do not know their allocation until it is provided by Porsche GB. Confusing that they are also “Reading” but entirely two separate businesses. In addition you may well be in a queue? The only way around this is to call other OPC’s to see if a slot is available. Some here have been known to place more than one deposit then cancelled the latter. The fact that you got your previous Macan quickly is either that they had an open slot when you ordered or someone ahead of you pulled out. Actually GTS versions of any Porsche are in lower numbers and have a strong demand.

my first Macan took 18 months to arrive, my second was initially looking at 6/7 months but someone ahead of me dropped out and I got it in 3. Hasn’t solved your dilemma here but hope this helps 👍
Last edited by MikeM on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Supporting what Mike has said, not all OPCs receive the same allocation. It's certainly worth ringing around and seeing if someone else has a build slot available.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

On-Track wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:54 pm Supporting what Mike has said, not all OPCs receive the same allocation. It's certainly worth ringing around and seeing if someone else has a build slot available.
I agree worth ringing round as the order situation for 718 GTS's could substantially differ between OPC's and some of the comments I have seen elsewhere suggest shorter times were available.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Conwy GTS

Post by Conwy GTS »

When looking to order my GTS in Feb this year, I was informed by my two local OPC’s (Chester and Wilmslow) that I would be lucky to get my hands on it before the end of the year.
I started shopping around and found a slot at Perth for delivery mid May. A long way to travel from North Wales and no discount on offer, but I get my hands on the car I want an awful lot earlier than originally envisaged.
Current :
2021 Porsche Macan GTS

Previously :
2014 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Jaguar F Type 3.0S
2016 VW Golf R
2017 Audi S4 Avant
2016 Audi S3 Sportback
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I had an order in for a Cayenne coupe GTS with Belfast. I eventually decided against it but had a firm order for a June build if not sooner. Not sure if someone else has taken the order on yet but worth a call.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Didn’t realise you had cancelled Rab. So what’s on the cards now?
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

MCDK wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:13 pm Didn’t realise you had cancelled Rab. So what’s on the cards now?
Dont laugh, but I have had an inclination for a Defender for a while now. Had initially planned to buy the GTS Cayenne, run it for a year and think again. In the end, a life's to short moment had me thinking, just do it. I test drove one last week and even though its no Porsche, but it is a very special thing, both to look at and drive. Sit up high missing nothing, goes well enough in a proper 4x4 sort of way, so I ordered a 300D X dynamic 110 in Carpathian grey. Should be here for the summer. Am I mad? possibly, but an itch I wanted to scratch. Tell the truth, much as there was nothing wrong with the Cayenne, selling the 911 was a mistake, one hell of a car.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Always good Rab to scratch the itches so well done on the order. Once you get it send it down to Richard at Hawkeye in Ballymoney, he does some great things to the new Defender.

And then maybe a nice sports cars in the garage for the sunny days!!
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

MCDK wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:52 am Always good Rab to scratch the itches so well done on the order. Once you get it send it down to Richard at Hawkeye in Ballymoney, he does some great things to the new Defender.

And then maybe a nice sports cars in the garage for the sunny days!!
Hadnt heard of Hawkeye but will look him up. What sort of things does he do? I do have thoughts of a 997.1 turbo, last of the Mezger engines