Wheels & Tyres

The place to discuss everything else..
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Would be really surprised to find a Porsche main dealer selling a car with the wrong wheel/tyres. However regarding firm ride, the lower the profile the firmer it is, but depends what your comparing too and what the suspension config is e.g. steel spring, PASM or Air. Lots here suggest even base with largest wheels is far superior compared to such as a BMW?
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

pmg

Post by pmg »

Yamavira wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:22 am Hi Guys
Much appreciate the replies. This is (perhaps was) to be my first Porsche. I feel you have confirmed my concerns regarding the ride. I do not want a hard ride daily driver.
In addition if the wheel/tyre setup is not to OME spec then it should be declared when seeking insurance cover. Increased premium.
Surprised that setup is not one listed for the Macan as the car is on sale at a main Porsche dealership.
Cheers
Yamavira
If the wheel tyre set is not OME and/ or the tyres have not got Porche type N approval, there would be issues with the Porsche Approved warranty and I would be very surprised if a main dealer trying to sell such a car.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

Yamavira wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:49 am Hi Again
Will have to check with the dealership as they have not yet replied to my request for the details of the tyres fitted on th car.
If the wheel / tyre combo fitted is to OME spec what mileage can I expect from the Front / Rear tyres. No crazy driving of course.
Cheers
yamavira.
I put a set of 20” Audi SQ5 on my macan, informed insurance company as was told it would make no difference to my premium.
Yamavira

Post by Yamavira »

Hi Guys
Have been informed by dealership that the tyre profiles on the 20 inch wheels are 45 & 40 which is correct, looking at any earlier reply to my query. I assume that will give an acceptably comfortable daily ride.
Not having owned a Porsche I was unaware of the 5year VED premium of £325 to be paid from 2nd taxation of the car. Actual cost of buying this car is rising.
Surprised that the cost of insurance is okay.
Yamavira
pmg

Post by pmg »

Yamavira wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:13 am Hi Guys
Have been informed by dealership that the tyre profiles on the 20 inch wheels are 45 & 40 which is correct, looking at any earlier reply to my query. I assume that will give an acceptably comfortable daily ride.
Not having owned a Porsche I was unaware of the 5year VED premium of £325 to be paid from 2nd taxation of the car. Actual cost of buying this car is rising.
Surprised that the cost of insurance is okay.
Yamavira
I came to a Macan from a BMW on run-flats , have 20 inch wheels on my Macan and Air suspension and find ride great. Ride is always a personal judgement but I suspect if car has at least PASM you will not have an issue.

Macan drivers are such sensible sane individuals and their behavior helps keep the insurance costs down !!! :D :D :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Yamavira, once you drive the car you'll realise it's worth every penny!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

pmg wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:32 pm There is something wrong here as the standard profile for Macan 20 inch wheels are 45 front and 40 rear. Those standard ones ride fine and but obviously not as soft as a car on 18 or 19's . Even the 21's should be on 40 front 35 rear profiles so 35 and 30 seems extreme and will be putting gearing and speeds to etc
I'd agree, going to the correct tyres on the existing rims should be fine; i'm on 20" rims and even in sport it's not too harsh a ride.

As always keep an eye out for potholes though. A 10 change in profile on a wide tyre makes a big difference.

Getting close to illegal at 15k miles so you've done well, you might be able to get a slower wearing tyre if road holding isn't crucial.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab