Volkswagen ID.4

The place to discuss everything else..
pmg

Post by pmg »

My main question is how the ID4 steer and ride compare to your Macan?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

Excuse me for being thick, but at 80 I think I have shredded a few brain cells, but your not telling me that you can get one of these EV's for 7 pounds a month? What is the full cost you are paying for leasing this car per month?
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The company pays the lease, Maintenance, insurance etc. As an employee I just need to pay the benefit in kind tax which for electric vehicles is mega low. Last year the BIK was zero so it would have cost an employee nothing. Free charging at work or at public stations also means no electric costs to incur.
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

Thank you.I get it now.
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

MCDK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:52 pm The company pays the lease, Maintenance, insurance etc. As an employee I just need to pay the benefit in kind tax which for electric vehicles is mega low. Last year the BIK was zero so it would have cost an employee nothing. Free charging at work or at public stations also means no electric costs to incur.
Unfortunately, as an OAP, I don’t have the luxury of a Company paying all the costs for a brand new car haha!!!
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Just been on the VW configurator. Over £50k for the top spec (£51,760 to be exact).

Looks good on family practicality and pretty underwhelming in every other respect. AutoExpress "However, despite a relatively strong power output and an even healthier 310Nm of torque, the ID.4 never quite feels as quick as its claimed 8.5-second 0-62mph time. We’ve become used to the almost instant hit of torque in an EV, but it feels like VW has specifically calibrated the motor’s force to come in smoothly. It makes for refined progress, but acceleration that’s maybe not quite as strong as you would expect." So basically it's been tuned to feel like any other mundane Tdi. I wonder why VW would do that with an EV?

I certainly wouldn't choose this over a Polestar 2, which comes in at exactly the same price with top spec dual motor.
There isn't actually much other competition in this space until the Tesla Model Y becomes available next year, which again I would choose over this VW.
Also the Kia EV6 looks much more interesting. At least it has proper EV performance!
I nearly forgot the Ford Mustang Mach-E, but it doesn't do anything for me in terms of styling. I would prefer the VW, but can't get over how dire the performance is compared to any of these other EV options.
Deleted User 1874

MCDK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:44 am Not sure I would put a Model 3 before it even if the price was the same
They are completely different vehicles. Only thing they have in common is 4 wheels and electric power. Nobody is going to cross-shop these unless they don't have a clue whether or not they want a high performance saloon car or family cross-over SUV. No doubt the VW is more practical as a family car (if you really need a hatch), but is not remotely in the same performance class.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Took a while for the Tesla fan boy to turn up lol.

And yet again aim at the top end of the range. The First Edition is more than adequately equipped, list price £40800 and available with more than £2k off that. Nowhere near Polestar money either.

And still all we hear in praise of Tesla is how fast they are! Where is that broken record emoji.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Capture.PNG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 1874

MCDK wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:15 pm Took a while for the Tesla fan boy to turn up lol.

And yet again aim at the top end of the range. The First Edition is more than adequately equipped, list price £40800 and available with more than £2k off that. Nowhere near Polestar money either.

And still all we hear in praise of Tesla is how fast they are! Where is that broken record emoji.
Tesla fan boy? Yep, guilty I guess. But you have to remember I've also owned maybe a dozen Porsches too and still own a 911 today. So that makes me a Porsche fanboy too right?

So about pricing then. So you are okay with a base ID.4 (Is it really more than adequately equipped? It looks pretty basic from a quick glance) but whenever you mention Tesla pricing you always quote top model pricing. Model 3's also start at £40k, as do Polestars, and they are well specced too. Yet somehow, according to you, they are £10k more than an ID.4? I'm not seeing that.

Performance is something I would expect Porsche "fanboys" to care about, but obviously not in this case. The way I see it with EVs is that high performance (with absolutely no downside) is an inherent feature of an electric drivetrain at this price and dumbing it down like VW have most obviously done here is a red card for me. It's frankly a joke compared to every other £40k EV on the market, not just Tesla. 8.5 seconds 0-62 mph, seriously? I know it's not meant to be a sports car, but would you really find that adequate when all the alternatives for the same money are in a totally different league?

Just for the record, I'm not actually a fanboy of any make of car - Tesla or Porsche. I just buy what I think is the best for me at the time. Just happens to be Tesla at the moment. Certainly isn't VW.