718 Cayman S

The place to discuss everything else..
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

They are amazing little cars. I don't think the PDK would spoil the joy you experienced.
Although the manual is such a pleasure to use, so precise. It does have an auto rev-match function in Sport and Sport Plus.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Conwy GTS

Post by Conwy GTS »

Semerka wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:57 am They are amazing little cars. I don't think the PDK would spoil the joy you experienced.
Although the manual is such a pleasure to use, so precise. It does have an auto rev-match function in Sport and Sport Plus.
I agree. I had the PDK box in my 3.4 Boxster S and it was phenomenal in sport and sport plus, as it just seemed to know what gear you needed in any given situation. Best auto box I’ve used bar none.
Current :
2021 Porsche Macan GTS

Previously :
2014 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Jaguar F Type 3.0S
2016 VW Golf R
2017 Audi S4 Avant
2016 Audi S3 Sportback
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Another PDK vote here. My last manual sports car was a 987 Boxster which I loved and kept for 8 years, almost 4 times longer than any car I'd previously owned. Then we got a 981 Cayman with a PDK box in 2015, a year later the Boxster was gone and all the Porsches we've bought since have had a PDK box including the new 718 Boxster we're hoping will arrive in a couple of months.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

The dealer did manage to find a Cayman S with PDK for me to drive.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, it certainly has enough power and torque for me. The PDK box was very well matched and the paddle-shift is excellent.

The only problem is the somewhat ‘agricultural’ soundtrack. If I didn’t drive the GTS 4.0 before, I would just accept it as ‘this is 718’ not 911, but having driven the GTS 4.0 in manual, I neeeed to experience the GTS 4.0 with PDK.

@Semerka, I agree with you that the close-ratio manual box is so precise and fantastic to drive, but in my mind it would be an excellent third car, not a daily commuter to the office and back home. For that PDK should be better suited.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Pivot wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:49 pm The dealer did manage to find a Cayman S with PDK for me to drive.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, it certainly has enough power and torque for me. The PDK box was very well matched and the paddle-shift is excellent.

The only problem is the somewhat ‘agricultural’ soundtrack. If I didn’t drive the GTS 4.0 before, I would just accept it as ‘this is 718’ not 911, but having driven the GTS 4.0 in manual, I neeeed to experience the GTS 4.0 with PDK.

@Semerka, I agree with you that the close-ratio manual box is so precise and fantastic to drive, but in my mind it would be an excellent third car, not a daily commuter to the office and back home. For that PDK should be better suited.
We do drive our manual Cayman GTS 4.0 every day, but not in a city. Also not in traffic jams, that would probably got a bit tiresome. It depends on the nature of the commute.
We also enjoyed owning and driving the 718 GTS (the agricultural one) for three years. You do get used to the sound, it still handles and drives brilliantly.

Decisions, decisions! ;)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Miopyk wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:42 pm Another PDK vote here. My last manual sports car was a 987 Boxster which I loved and kept for 8 years, almost 4 times longer than any car I'd previously owned. Then we got a 981 Cayman with a PDK box in 2015, a year later the Boxster was gone and all the Porsches we've bought since have had a PDK box including the new 718 Boxster we're hoping will arrive in a couple of months.
Hey @Miopyk
Who did you sleep with to secure the Boxster 25 edition? That will be a keeper, or flipper?
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Pivot wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:53 pm
Miopyk wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:42 pm Another PDK vote here. My last manual sports car was a 987 Boxster which I loved and kept for 8 years, almost 4 times longer than any car I'd previously owned. Then we got a 981 Cayman with a PDK box in 2015, a year later the Boxster was gone and all the Porsches we've bought since have had a PDK box including the new 718 Boxster we're hoping will arrive in a couple of months.
Hey @Miopyk
Who did you sleep with to secure the Boxster 25 edition? That will be a keeper, or flipper?
Haha, no favours were offered or requested, just dealt with the same people for a number of years. It'll be a keeper along with the Cayman and the current Macan which we might consider swapping for the Macan EV in a few years if its any good.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Miopyk wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:11 pm
Hey @Miopyk
Haha, no favours were offered or requested, just dealt with the same people for a number of years. It'll be a keeper along with the Cayman and the current Macan which we might consider swapping for the Macan EV in a few years if its any good.
That is awesome fleet @Miopyk

I requested to buy GT4 but without secret handshake my name is pencilled-in. Looks like your name is written in permanent marker.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Pivot wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:03 am
Miopyk wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:11 pm
Hey @Miopyk
That is awesome fleet @Miopyk

I requested to buy GT4 but without secret handshake my name is pencilled-in. Looks like your name is written in permanent marker.
Well I hope you get one.

I've never wanted a GT car as I know it would be wasted on me but I was finalising a 718 GTS spec early this year when the 25 was announced and was able to swap my order for that. I only got a build confirmation last month and its not due to be delivered until September which is about 6 months later than the original estimate no doubt due to all the issues with Covid and Chips but I'm happy to wait. Fingers crossed for your GT4 :)
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

So while I am waiting for the 718 Cayman GTS, I got myself a 718 Boxster in manual shift. I am very pleased with my interim measure, as I don't know how long will it take to get the GTS.
I took it for a ride with my wife, and I was very impressed with the car and with my good lady. She said, it sounds just like my dad’s VW Beetle ~50 years ago… well, flat-4-boxer motor, with the same firing sequence, somewhat diff exhaust system will sound familiar. It’s amazing what memories get triggered by an engine sound.