718 Cayman S

The place to discuss everything else..
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I am considering getting a new 718 Cayman S, spec: PNRE8R12
I like the ride and drive, mid-engine configuration and the performance. Any views on the options?

My original plan was to get 911, but following the demo rides I realised that the stream I have to cross to get to my house might damage the car and Cayman clears it more gracefully. I intend to use it on daily basis, so Cayman is more usable throughout the year.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Hard to argue with a sensible base spec like that - it is far too easy to go nuts on options.....................

I assume you have seen Agate leather interior? It is more brown than grey ! We had it with Pebble Grey centres on Mrs' 981S

The only other real thing I would question would be PASM for a little more compliancy/sport set up but again you have stayed with 19s so maybe less of an issue.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

STREAM 😳 How deep ⁉️ 😂😂 PASM would lower the car by 10mm, so guess it’s not so beneficial.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Hi

We have a 718 Cayman base and its an awesome car, we we also use as a daily, we have had ours since March 2019, new. As a daily you may want to consider the auto climate (I resisted paying the cost of this, but gave in) and auto wipers & maybe heated seats, we tried a demo car in the summer without auto climate and it was a pain trying to maintain temperatures.

GT wheel is nice addition. We don't have PASM and have 20" sport classics, the ride is firm but compliant. LED lights are excellent, we also added them.

The S looks like the engine to have, but unless you track you are unlikely to see the power difference, which appears at the top end of the rev range; the base its too fast for public roads and it is very fast. If you have not compared it would be worth trying to see if you notice the extra power. The Cayman T would then be an option, which was not available when we were buying .

Bose - not sure if you compared to the base system, but both are not the best and with the engine behind you and tyre roar (intrusive) you cant tell the difference on the move, we went base system - its fine.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Just a bit of tech’ friendly advice.
Went to help a friend over the last few days with a Cayman. Absolute dead battery, not been driven for over 12 months. Bonnet opens electrically, which had a problem anyway. Emergency entry by removing n/s wheel and front inner wing lining, to gain access to remote bonnet pull cable. Only trouble is wheel locking key was under bonnet.
So ended up defeating the locking wheel nuts, to remove the wheel.
I suggested that the key for the locking wheel nuts should be left in the cockpit area somewhere.
There is another method of opening the bonnet, but ours had a problem.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

TheTraveller wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:09 pm Just a bit of tech’ friendly advice.
Went to help a friend over the last few days with a Cayman. Absolute dead battery, not been driven for over 12 months. Bonnet opens electrically, which had a problem anyway. Emergency entry by removing n/s wheel and front inner wing lining, to gain access to remote bonnet pull cable. Only trouble is wheel locking key was under bonnet.
I suggested that the key for the locking wheel nuts should be left in the cockpit area somewhere.
That’s a faff! What was stopping you from connecting power through the service link in the footwell fuse box and then just operate the bonnet switch? Same system as a 911.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

MikeM wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:48 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:09 pm Just a bit of tech’ friendly advice.
That’s a faff! What was stopping you from connecting power through the service link in the footwell fuse box and then just operate the bonnet switch? Same system as a 911.
As I said in my post, it had a problem and that we tried, and would not work.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks all for the feedback. I am getting a baseline 2.0L demo loaded with options to test overnight and 2.5L S for a quick ride. I used to drive a 435i with a glorious 3.0L I-6 motor, I hope a718 S is a better driver’s car.

Good point about auto-temp control, PASM, etc.
I must double-check the ground clearance of various options and decide.

The stream runs across our road… the submerged part is paved with cobblestones and has a depth gauge on the side to measure the current level, so it’s fairly safe, unless I return home at night after the rain, so have to be careful.
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Pivot, I have a 2017 Cayman S with 19 alloys and PASM. It has about £20k worth of options on it so happy to answer any questions you may have.

Highlights are : very quick car, PASM and 19 alloys give a lovely sporting but compliant ride, LED lights are a must and a massive improvement over the xenons in our Macan, economy on a long motorway cruise easily over 40 mpg, pre GPF car and sounds great on startup, full leather interior with 18 way adaptive seats in sportex makes the interior a special place but would not pay the premium if paying myself,

Lows : the engine does sound like it is chugging in normal mode but sounds angry and purposeful in sports mode, BOSE is a waste of money as the road noise is very intrusive and spoils the acoustics, economy is poor on short journeys but you would expect that, unless you are really exploring the higher rev range it is not much quicker than the base car which I have well and truly tested out with some other Cayman owners

Overall, it is an amazing car which I would find difficult to part with

Feel free to ask any questions or PM me. I am a member of a very active 718 owners group so we have a fair bit of knowledge and experience
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Hey @GTIPirelli,
My test drive got cancelled, stock sold, so few questions:

1. I read that 2.0L (base) and 2.5L (S) performance differs mostly at +5000 RPM. Is that true? I like to ride 2000-4000 RPM and this is why I selected S with larger engine.
2. I read that 2.5 S is more drivable than GTS 4.0. Have you driven all three to compare?
I like the idea of 4.0 GTS but the extra power is once again at high RPM, and it comes with lower ground clearance again
3. What is your view on the centre console, is it as bad as journo say? Or did you get used to it?