718 Cayman S

The place to discuss everything else..
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

A lot of people moan that it is too high geared so I think I would be heading for PDK sadly
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I went PDK on mine purely because its easier to drive and of course faster. I did a 200 mile cross country round trip to Birmingham yesterday and using the paddles was brilliant for overtaking slower traffic (lots of horse boxes out and about) especially as I'm short shifting at the moment to break it in properly.

My advice, buy it for you and get what you want.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

So here is the semi-final spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNYCGW95

Looking forward to your constructive criticism 🤦‍♂️
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

I would add the rear wiper. It's an option for a reason. That flat rear window will be a rain and dirt magnet. Also LCA. The rear quarters are quite thick and the life saver glance may not be enough. But I have never sat in one so it is an opinion rather than from experience. Good luck with your final spec.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Pivot wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:24 pm So here is the semi-final spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNYCGW95

Looking forward to your constructive criticism 🤦‍♂️
I think you pretty much nailed it but there are couple of things from me to consider. With the full leather package you lose the GTS moniker on the Headrests so I'd at the Porsche crests and I found the standard stereo on my base 718 to be pretty crap so added Bose to my B25. It's not the best but system but is vastly better than the standard system.

Oh, and have a look at the wheels in Silver, I think it lifts the body colour but of course that opinion is purely subjective.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:16 pm I would add the rear wiper. It's an option for a reason. That flat rear window will be a rain and dirt magnet. Also LCA. The rear quarters are quite thick and the life saver glance may not be enough. But I have never sat in one so it is an opinion rather than from experience. Good luck with your final spec.
My wife wanted a wiper on her Cayman for the same reason but it actually doesn't collect that much dirt at all. I suspect the aerodynamics help a lot with that.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Miopyk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:15 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:16 pm I would add the rear wiper. It's an option for a reason. That flat rear window will be a rain and dirt magnet. Also LCA. The rear quarters are quite thick and the life saver glance may not be enough. But I have never sat in one so it is an opinion rather than from experience. Good luck with your final spec.
My wife wanted a wiper on her Cayman for the same reason but it actually doesn't collect that much dirt at all. I suspect the aerodynamics help a lot with that.
Correct. The rear wiper is an eyesore on these cars and is unnecessary. Once you get moving the water droplets are swept away.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

We are a camp MANUAL here. 😁

Manual or PDK is of course a very personal choice and depends on what you like when driving cars.
I became too lazy when we had the PDK'd Ruby and wanted a manual again. I never used the PDK to it's full potential and drove Ruby like a point & shoot weapon.
I would only use the steering wheel pedals to change down slowing into the bends, but that selection only lasts a certain amount of seconds and then it reverts back to auto.
So coming out of some of the bends you would have to change down again to maintain the revs on the exit. The other thing I did not like about the PDK was when driving in Sport or Sport Plus, it held on to the high revs for too long and I had no control over it, unless I switched to full manual.

With regards to the reported long gearing of the manual in the GTS 4.0. We don't think it's a problem, only if you like revving your cars to the limiter each time you change gear, then you would not be able to do that using all gears.
On the other hand the engine pulls in any revs really and so you (or your good lady) could get away not changing gears as much. Also driving in Sport Plus mode will auto-blip when changing down and the throttle is actually less aggressive and more natural than in just the Sport mode. Both Rob and myself drive the car in Sport Plus most of the time.

However if your good lady is sure she prefers PDK for whatever reason, then I'd go for a PDK because you want her to enjoy driving the car too. 😃

On your spec, I would perhaps add cruise control, I do not think that is a standard feature.

Rear wiper is a marmite choice. Some love it's practicality, but it does spoil the rear end looks. On these wintry mornings, I just use a squidgy that I keep in the door pocket to clear half of the window of any rain / mist.
And the aero and heated glass will do the rest not long after you set off. The rear glass does not really get dirty as the car's bum collects it all.

That's my two (or more) pence here. 😇
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks guys for well considered feedback, this design by a committee is actually working for me 🤓

Out of interest, my wife renamed the new GTS to Caveman 👀

Initially I thought it was rude, but then we laughed and agreed that with its savage tendencies it is rather fitting, so we will call it Caveman GTS 4.0
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
hood69

Post by hood69 »

I always liked a rear wiper on a 911 or Cayman
Lovely car/spec