718 Cayman S

The place to discuss everything else..
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

@Simon, I agree, the dying breed of 4.0 NA motor with a MT is part of the attraction.

@PMG, my last MT car was also 325i, followed by 435i A/T, now I reverted to Boxster with MT and I like it, but my wife doesn’t. However, she made peace with my caveman 4.0, so it will be decided at Silverstone, if I get to it before locking specs.

@Bluesnose1812 , I see your point, but no, I think rear wiper breaks the profile. Also my Boxster is fine without it so my Caveman 4.0 should be fine.

@Miopyk, I like your observations… the headrest crest is nice, but I am undecided, I have it in my Boxster and I hardly ever notice it, typically I would notice with the roof down. However, the wheels is an excellent point, I will have it painted Satin platinum.
Also, I have been agonizing about the Stereo, Bose or not to Bose. My current Boxster has a standard Radio, which is sub-optimal, but sufficient for LBC talk or Chris Evans, and others posted that with all the engine and road noise Bose is as good as ashtray on a motorcycle, so I left it out, but I am leaning towards it again 🤪 doesn’t the engine noise drone-out the Stereo?

@Semerka, thanks for the lady perspective. My better half decided that on my Caveman 4.0, I can have Manual transmission. Hopefully I can book Silverstone experience before I have to lock-down the spec.
I agree with you entirely on the PDK characteristics; when I had Macan S, it was rather annoying, unless I switched to manual shift mode.
Good to hear about the MT gear ratios. No, I do not drive on rpm limiter, unless I am on a track, probably once a year. With PDK I land in 2000-3000 rpm range, with MT I tend to use 2000-4000 range.

Thanks all, any additional insights would be appreciated.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Can’t really add much to this debate re the Porsche elements of MT vs PDK as I have never owned one until my Macan arrives. However I can say that my wife is a keen driver (to put it politely) and she specified a MT in her M240i cab for that reason and this car may be the only manual cab in the country.
I can confirm that when I drive it I find it hugely satisfying and lots of fun. It takes me to the “proper driving” mind frame I used to enjoy years ago when I had BMW Alpina’s - remember when we chose the gear and revs at any given moment?
Not sure the 718 is the kind of car you will be doing much queuing in?
I think it’s a brilliant car and maybe even better experienced as a manual??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Glad to hear you’re going manual. :)

I agree on not needing the rear wiper.

I too would add cruise control - if nothing else, useful in average speed monitored sections of motorway.

I think silver wheels, on the green body colour, would look better than black. Or maybe even the gold wheels...? :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:38 am Glad to hear you’re going manual. :)

I agree on not needing the rear wiper.

I too would add cruise control - if nothing else, useful in average speed monitored sections of motorway.

I think silver wheels, on the green body colour, would look better than black. Or maybe even the gold wheels...? :)
There is a 992 around here in the green with gold and it looks good but agree, not black, although it isn’t my car !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Regarding the cabin noise, you do hear quite a lot of induction noise (which is nice) and tyre noise, but you know this from the Boxster. Perhaps I would tick BOSE since it's more powerful and on long journeys you might wish to broaden your entertainment options pass the induction noise. :lol:

I am not sure if the confusing 475 suspension option was discussed on this thread before: Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) with ride height lowered by 10 mm

In reality it means raising the ride height by 10 mm from the standard PASM Sport GTS 4.0 set-up to make it more comfy, so they say:

"For slightly added driving comfort and ground clearance, the standard “PASM sports suspension (20 mm lowered”) is replaced with “Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) incl. ride height lowered by 10 mm” for no extra charge. With this option the ride height of the GTS 4.0 models rises compared to the standard set-up"

The standard ride height for GTS 4.0 is 20 mm lower than a standard Cayman. With the 475 option ticked the car will be 10 mm lower than a standard Cayman.

So, if you want your car lower, then delete the option 475. But if you want a more comfy suspension leave the 475 there.

Neither Rob or myself drove a GTS 4.0 with the standard minus 20 mm PASM Sport suspension. Our car has the comfy option 475 as it was a stock car specced by the OPC we bought it from and we understood the spec sheet wrong. We like it, but cannot comment on the direct differences. The only experience we have is with the minus 20 mm PASM Sport suspension on the previous Cayman GTS model 2.5 turbo, where the firm setting was indeed firm and not really useable on the road. The car was always only driven in the standard PASM setting. Though at speeds on the German autobahns it did stick to the road like a glue in the firmer, Sport setting.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

@Semerka, thanks for the intel… I selected 10mm PASM as I need additional ground clearance in the countryside. I have to cross a little stream to get to my house 😬

@Simon, I see the value of cruise control, but I will give it a miss as I hardly ever used it on any car that had it as standard.

I am changing wheel colour to Satin Platinum, which I like the most. I do admire the Aurum wheels on Semerka’s black Cayman GTS - a blast from JPS F1 past — but I don’t want a black car, as it is hard to keep clean where I live.

Now I need to get to Silverstone, to compare MT vs PDK. So far MT is my preference.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Pivot wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:58 pm
doesn’t the engine noise drone-out the Stereo?
Overall I've found Bose to be clearer and more adjustable than the standard system. I tend to listen to my own playlists via CarPlay so that might make a difference but overall I'm pleased I've got it. If you can, try it and compare to your current car before making a decision but make sure you turn off the virtual surround system as that sounds awful.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Red5

Post by Red5 »

This is all going rather well :)
Congrats on your order!

Semerka’s JP enjoyed a speedy jaunt to Southern Bohemia in October. Rev limiter in sixth was briefly hit on the Autobahn.

We popped out to this lovely local road between the lakes after dinner one evening to take a quick video.
While you’re waiting for your car, you can imagine how good this felt blasting through the gears :)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nice video, and number plate! :D
Simon

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Just had a Cayenne loaner for the day from Tewkesbury OPC.

Obviously, it had PDK (8 speed). My first three Porsches were PDK too.

But it was with joy that I climbed back into my 911, with its glorious manual transmission. Man & machine in perfect harmony. :P Well, maybe not, but I certainly feel much more involved in the driving experience and at one with the car, swapping the cogs manually. And the auto-blip function is wonderful! :)

You won’t regret it. ;)
Simon