So what next...... ??

The place to discuss everything else..
TD444

Post by TD444 »

So with my Macan Diesel S now gone to its new owner its time to think.... What next....?

We are after another family SUV so it is likely the usual suspects as they say - X5, Q7 / Q8 (doubtful) / GLS / Tourag (they don't do much for me) / Discovery / Defender / Cayenne (?) / Panamera (?).........

Anything else I have missed or should consider?

Preferably a Diesel which would rule out the Cayenne and possibly even a 7 seater which would also rule out more and leave me with limited options...
With aging parents on both sides we want to be able to bring them with us on any journeys hence the 7 seats....I have 2 young kids also...

Have not test driven anything as yet so will be planning all soon - appointments for everything these days - not worried also about lead times - it is what it is, bought a cheap replacement to keep us going for now... :)

Answers on a postcard as they say.... :?

T
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHN2UAS9
Order Date 16 Nov - Expected delivery ~April / May 2016
Collected Tue 3rd May

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Your requirement albeit occasional for 7 seats does limit options a lot. And a lot of 7 seater SUVs are pretty small in the rear most seats which could be an issue as the kids grow. Then you have the issue of tiny load space if using all the seats.

I would stick to a 5 seater and work something else out for the grandparents if that is only very occasional usage.
Caster

Post by Caster »

Volvo XC90, Skoda Kodiaq, Kia Sorento, Peugeot 5008 or a Merc GLB - think you can get them all in a diesel option, but not sure?

Good luck with the choice 👍
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

7 seat Diesel SUV, not too much scope. As OP XC90, also Q7, MB GLS. Could go Minivan 😳
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
TD444

Post by TD444 »

Thanks all for the replies...
We are aware of the limited boot space when 7 seats are up - not really an issue, we also would use the extra boot space when they are not..... as my wife is a good few hours away from her home so we do make long journeys...
On the parents side, while one side dont drive as much these days, the other side dont drive at all, so options dont really exist that way if we were to make any plans for a day...

Kids are also growing up so we are trapsing the country as it is with one now, the other will follow with dirty boots / clothes etc...so something that is easily maintained inside too...

Forgot about the Volvo, my sister as an XC60 - not sure on its styling though and would stay premium so no Kia, Peugeot etc... and defo no minivan - wife would bar that immediately anyway...

I also like that something is relatively new out and or not near the end of its build cycle with a model refresh coming...

So far - we are leaning towards a Defender - may not be to everyone's taste or choice but we both like the styling inside & out, its more catered to take a bash & wallop inside with tougher materials, has the 7 seat option and a big V6 diesel....
Need a drive in a few to make the mind up as they say... :)
Collected Tue 3rd May
pmg

Post by pmg »

I do not know what the maximin budget is but I suspect the best drivers seven seat SUV is a BMW X7.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

If your looking at big and rugged such as Defender? Personally think LR have lost their way when it comes to product quality, especially around DPF and electronic system reliability and we have run LR products for twenty years, still have a now 8 year old one. Probably not modern enough for some but would definitely take a Toyota Land Cruiser Invincible over one any time. Absolutely bomb proof quality throughout, asthey do say “ If you want to drive into the jungle you will at least need a Land Rover, however if you want to get back out choose a Land Cruiser” This may not help but it’s sure is true 🙄👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The Urban Automotive upgrades make the new Defender look pretty good. There is a local dealer for the Urban kit in Ballymoney and some of the stuff he is putting out looks good.

Or go all environmentally friendly and go electric like I have done. Not many 7 seater options though except perhaps Tesla Model X
TD444

Post by TD444 »

pmg wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:39 pm I do not know what the maximin budget is but I suspect the best drivers seven seat SUV is a BMW X7.
X7 might be out of the budget range but have you seen one in the flesh - it is not a looker as they say.... :shock:
Collected Tue 3rd May
TD444

Post by TD444 »

MikeM wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:59 pm If your looking at big and rugged such as Defender? Personally think LR have lost their way when it comes to product quality, especially around DPF and electronic system reliability and we have run LR products for twenty years, still have a now 8 year old one. Probably not modern enough for some but would definitely take a Toyota Land Cruiser Invincible over one any time. Absolutely bomb proof quality throughout, asthey do say “ If you want to drive into the jungle you will at least need a Land Rover, however if you want to get back out choose a Land Cruiser” This may not help but it’s sure is true 🙄👍
I am aware of the quality concern but also take some of that with a pinch of salt, with any brand there will be quality issues, maybe LR have a few more but not every car will be bad - I had a few faults with my Macan - they all got fixed under WNTY... that's what it is for...
While I would agree the Toyota is likely bomb proof - it also is not a looker as they say... its more of a building contractor / farmer vehicle.... ;)
Collected Tue 3rd May