Test drive - 911 and Taycan

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:16 pm
See PMG's comment on 22 July in this same thread topic....

https://www.businessgreen.com/news/4034 ... -ev-brands
Yeah I saw that. But I’m not sure how other EVs will actually communicate with Superchargers as they don’t have a payment interface. Maybe Tesla will modify all their charging stations or maybe they will add some extra new ones with card payment interfaces? Then there’s the charging interface itself. Many EVs will not even be able to physically plug into the short Tesla cables. It will take time either way.

I’m due to replace my Tesla next Feb and was considering a Polestar for a change, but only if I can charge it on the Tesla network. But I expect it will still be just talk at that point. I’ll watch how it goes in the US. I wouldn’t be surprised if Musk does a U-turn on this idea either. It’s not the first time he has floated the idea of opening up his charging network.
Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmg

Post by pmg »

Having spent about an hour watching him repeat a lot in his two most recent Taycan videos I still have not found the answer to the question he left in mid-air at the end of the first? Why did the Taycan fail to charge properly at the Ionity chargers in the first video?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
pmg

Post by pmg »

Peteski wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:13 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:16 pm
See PMG's comment on 22 July in this same thread topic....

https://www.businessgreen.com/news/4034 ... -ev-brands
Yeah I saw that. But I’m not sure how other EVs will actually communicate with Superchargers as they don’t have a payment interface. Maybe Tesla will modify all their charging stations or maybe they will add some extra new ones with card payment interfaces? It will take time either way.

I’m due to replace my Tesla next Feb and was considering a Polestar for a change, but only if I can charge it on the Tesla network. But I expect it will still be just talk at that point. I’ll watch how it goes in the US. I wouldn’t be surprised if Musk does a U-turn on this idea either. It’s not the first time he has floated the idea of opening up his charging network.
He has announced at least two U-turns on Bitcoin payments
Deleted User 1874

pmg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 pm Having spent about an hour watching him repeat a lot in his two most recent Taycan videos I still have not found the answer to the question he left in mid-air at the end of the first? Why did the Taycan fail to charge properly at the Ionity chargers in the first video?
I suspect he simply doesn’t know.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Peteski wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:34 pm
pmg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 pm Having spent about an hour watching him repeat a lot in his two most recent Taycan videos I still have not found the answer to the question he left in mid-air at the end of the first? Why did the Taycan fail to charge properly at the Ionity chargers in the first video?
I suspect HE is just simple!!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Deleted User 1874

When you roll up to an EV charger with 12% charge remaining then it absolutely has to work. Taking 3 attempts to even find a working charger and then having it charge at a snail’s pace and then cut out at 44% charge is not something I could live with. But that’s just me. It might be much better in a couple of years, but I thought that a couple of years ago too.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Although it would be interesting to know, I think its kind of irrelevant to the subject. With a petrol car you have a hole and a pipe, its a bit difficult for it to go wrong. This is just another EV issue that may or may not pop up to ruin your day.

I still think that Tesla is the only real player in the EV market at the moment. Others undoubtedly will catch up BUT the Tesla is only about £50 per month cheaper than the Macan S i have specced ( on PCP ), and build quality and drivability is no competition. So electric needs to get more reliable and cheaper and not just focus on insane speed.
Deleted User 1874

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:30 pm i have seen far more stories about how people have moved to electric and love it than i have those who have moved and hate it. For me though the time isn’t quite right, and I need a new car by the end of the year.
For sure. I think you have it pretty well weighed up here. Tesla is still the only EV option if you need fast, reliable charging outside of your garage. The public charging network is still a bad joke.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Tracky wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:49 pm
I suspect HE is just simple!!
Plus one, he says at the end of 1st he was going to take to a dealer. So to be open to his followers he should in 2nd state if done and anything learnt.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I think you can look at the charging network with a glass half full or empty view. I doubt whether I will need to charge away from home much, if at all. At least for the first few months of ownership. And I think things are only going to get better, hopefully quickly. I won’t be planning a long trip without a plan A, B and C for charging - ok, a bit of a pain with potential for disaster. But I am hopeful that it will work out ok. And the car is so good that I don’t mind a bit of research for a long trip. We will see. If it really doesn’t work for me I will end up selling it - perhaps I will end up with a 911 after all!