Test drive - 911 and Taycan

The place to discuss everything else..
happy days

Post by happy days »

Interesting to watch Harry Metcalf talking to Lord Bamford about hydrogen power for longer-shift machinery. Personally, I think EVs are a flash in the pan and when hydrogen gets its act together, EV will be long dead. Who would buy a second-hand EV? Don't forget, it's not that long ago that the government were trying to get everyone into diesels.
Macan S D
718 S

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Interesting article in the Telegraph today about how the Govt. are likely to ask electrIc car owners to only charge “off peak” because they are now concerned the UK power grid isn’t designed for so many electric cars to be charging during the peak usage times. So it may be a new thing to consider, although there’s clearly no way it could be mandated. Of course, it could also just be a journo with a bit of time on his hands..
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^^^ Smart chargers, and I think you can only install smart chargers now, can be controlled remotely by the electricity supplier.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4436

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:49 pm ^^^^^ Smart chargers, and I think you can only install smart chargers now, can be controlled remotely by the electricity supplier.
So does that mean they can switch to lower power, so when you get in the car in the morning it’ll turn out its only got a fraction of the charge you expected it to have? Sounds fun.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:55 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:49 pm ^^^^^ Smart chargers, and I think you can only install smart chargers now, can be controlled remotely by the electricity supplier.
So does that mean they can switch to lower power, so when you get in the car in the morning it’ll turn out its only got a fraction of the charge you expected it to have? Sounds fun.
Correct, but I expect they will argue that they will share the power reductions around so that each consumer will not be affected for a long period. Of course most home chargers will be in use overnight so load sharing will be quite easy in the early days but when many more EVs are around and demanding juice potentially during peak periods it could get very interesting!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ian.g wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 pm I think you can look at the charging network with a glass half full or empty view. I doubt whether I will need to charge away from home much, if at all. At least for the first few months of ownership. And I think things are only going to get better, hopefully quickly. I won’t be planning a long trip without a plan A, B and C for charging - ok, a bit of a pain with potential for disaster. But I am hopeful that it will work out ok. And the car is so good that I don’t mind a bit of research for a long trip. We will see. If it really doesn’t work for me I will end up selling it - perhaps I will end up with a 911 after all!

All roads lead to a 911... ;) :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

happy days wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:47 pm Interesting to watch Harry Metcalf talking to Lord Bamford about hydrogen power for longer-shift machinery. Personally, I think EVs are a flash in the pan and when hydrogen gets its act together, EV will be long dead. Who would buy a second-hand EV? Don't forget, it's not that long ago that the government were trying to get everyone into diesels.
Hydrogen has a big future in commercial freight, but probably not in personal transport i.e. cars. As for EV's being a flash in the pan, I doubt many people in the industry would agree with you there. Even Toyota have changed their mind on that one. Worrying about second hand EV values on the speculation that hydrogen cars are going to make them obsolete overnight is pretty ridiculous.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Ian.g wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 pm I think you can look at the charging network with a glass half full or empty view. I doubt whether I will need to charge away from home much, if at all. At least for the first few months of ownership. And I think things are only going to get better, hopefully quickly. I won’t be planning a long trip without a plan A, B and C for charging - ok, a bit of a pain with potential for disaster. But I am hopeful that it will work out ok. And the car is so good that I don’t mind a bit of research for a long trip. We will see. If it really doesn’t work for me I will end up selling it - perhaps I will end up with a 911 after all!
I would still go ahead too. Even with the erratic public charging network I would still prefer an EV on the whole. I’ve just been spoilt with the Tesla charging network. I don’t use it on a daily basis, but on those longer trips I really appreciate being able to charge easily without planning or worry. I don’t understand why the public network is so far behind in its operation. Maybe lack of standards in vehicle/charger communication.
Deleted User 4436

Peteski wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:02 pm
I would still go ahead too. Even with the erratic public charging network I would still prefer an EV on the whole. I’ve just been spoilt with the Tesla charging network. I don’t use it on a daily basis, but on those longer trips I really appreciate being able to charge easily without planning or worry. I don’t understand why the public network is so far behind in its operation. Maybe lack of standards in vehicle/charger communication.
i had 100% decided to go electric when I started test drives earlier this year, but there are just too many complexities at the moment. in 3 years time I think the landscape will be very different and as my car is on PCP i can just hand it back and get an electric. The issue I had with the Tesla is that a half way decent spec one is no cheaper than the Macan S, which is a much better car overall and doesn’t give me motion sickness like the Tesla did ( completely personal issue, I know ). The Q4 Etron I drove felt really cheap and nasty, unlike any other Audi I’ve ever driven or owned, and was also close to Porsche Macan money. I’m definitely not anti EV, I’m pretty sure we’ll all be there relatively soon, but I am against paying over the odds for cheap build quality and massively overcomplicating my life. if I had a garage, worked close to where I live and didn’t occasionally have to drive hundreds of miles in a day for work I’d probably be there now, even if the cars aren’t.

I bet you the electric Macan will be £10-15k more expensive than the equivalent current model, and that will make it just too expensive. it will probably slot into the Macan Turbo space, i.e. you can buy the Macan, The S, The GTS or the electric. I suspect that may be why they dropped the Turbo, so the electric can be the new line-up topper.

this is all very interesting stuff. I seriously don’t want to put anyone off buying a Taycan, its an amazing Car, it just wouldn’t fit my lifestyle ( or budget if I’m honest ). For others it would probably work quite well.