How much will Greta cost us?

The place to discuss everything else..
RAA

Post by RAA »

Dark Energy from space, that's accelerating whole galaxies away from one another: once we discover exactly what it is, perhaps we can somehow harness it (?)

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

RAA wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:31 pm Dark Energy from space, that's accelerating whole galaxies away from one another: once we discover exactly what it is, perhaps we can somehow harness it (?)
Porsche would charge a fortune for that option!
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Apparently, transport accounts for 24.1% of all CO2 emissions worldwide. Of that passenger cars,buses ,taxis produce 45%. In 2018, Transport accounted for 15% of total UK emissions. Industry and generating power account for the most. The point of my post is that, whilst I agree the climate is in trouble, the Government will take action against the much maligned motorist because we are an easy target. China will continue building coal powered generating plants and the USA similar. Anyone. like myself, who has a 'Green ' electricity supplier is deluding themselves as all power comes via the national grid which takes energy from all sources. As mentioned elsewhere, the wind turbines stuck out at sea have a big carbon footprint before they produce a kilowatt of juice and will be obsolete in a decade or so. There is no easy answer, but stick a tax on ICE vehicles will not bring down CO2 levels but make life hard for the average guy or gall. Most people buy their cars secondhand and they are usually 5 years old plus. I can't see anyone buying a 5 years old EV with the prospect of battery imminent battery failure on the horizon. What would sort it out is a plaque that kills a third of the worlds population but that won't happen will it?
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

A plaque. Jeez glad I brush my teeth a lot then!!!
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:26 pm Most people buy their cars secondhand and they are usually 5 years old plus. I can't see anyone buying a 5 years old EV with the prospect of battery imminent battery failure on the horizon.
EV batteries don’t fail after 5 yrs, or 6 or 7 or 8 for that matter. EV batteries have proven that degradation is not an issue either. There are Tesla and BMW EV models >7 yrs plus with no battery issues. Newest technology is making new EV batteries with greater range and reliability. The UK s/h market for EV cars is booming. They are also a hoot to drive👍
Deleted User 4436

Connoisseur wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:49 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:26 pm Most people buy their cars secondhand and they are usually 5 years old plus. I can't see anyone buying a 5 years old EV with the prospect of battery imminent battery failure on the horizon.
EV batteries don’t fail after 5 yrs, or 6 or 7 or 8 for that matter. EV batteries have proven that degradation is not an issue either. There are Tesla and BMW EV models >7 yrs plus with no battery issues. Newest technology is making new EV batteries with greater range and reliability. The UK s/h market for EV cars is booming. They are also a hoot to drive👍
they are a hoot to drive, less of a hoot to live with. But more to the point they are insanely bad for the environment, which people conveniently ignore. The gubbins for the batteries comes out of big holes dug in the ground and are incredibly toxic and difficult to dispose of, they also need charing via a plug hole and the stuff that comes out of there comes from power stations. The more electric cars the more power will be needed and we wont be able to meet demand from wind, solar or waves. I’m not defending ICE, despite having just ordered a Macan I think ICE using fossil fuels is definitely on its way out but battery powered cars are really not the right alternative if you think you are saving the planet ( not you personally).
GWL

Post by GWL »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:09 pm
they are a hoot to drive, less of a hoot to live with. But more to the point they are insanely bad for the environment, which people conveniently ignore. The gubbins for the batteries comes out of big holes dug in the ground and are incredibly toxic and difficult to dispose of, they also need charing via a plug hole and the stuff that comes out of there comes from power stations. The more electric cars the more power will be needed and we wont be able to meet demand from wind, solar or waves. I’m not defending ICE, despite having just ordered a Macan I think ICE using fossil fuels is definitely on its way out but battery powered cars are really not the right alternative if you think you are saving the planet ( not you personally).
The main threat to our planet and the future of humanity at the moment is global warming which is being caused by the amount of CO2 and Methane we (humankind) produce. You can ultimately take steps to reduce the environmental impact of EVs. The electricity used for charging could, in theory, be completely produced by sources that do no produce CO2. The batteries can be properly recycled. Maybe advances in battery technology will provide cleaner batteries, etc. So it all comes down to a fundamental point : ICE vehicles produce CO2. EVs do not.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Deleted User 4436

GWL wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:20 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:09 pm

The main threat to our planet and the future of humanity at the moment is global warming which is being caused by the amount of CO2 and Methane we (humankind) produce. You can ultimately take steps to reduce the environmental impact of EVs. The electricity used for charging could, in theory, be completely produced by sources that do no produce CO2. The batteries can be properly recycled. Maybe advances in battery technology will provide cleaner batteries, etc. So it all comes down to a fundamental point : ICE vehicles produce CO2. EVs do not.

Lots of “could in theory” and “maybe’s” in there.

You say the greatest threat is global warming and that is caused by CO2 and that cars produce that. The ultimate problem isn’t the car it is the number of people using them, and all the other things that produce greenhouse gasses. What happens in 100 years time when the Earth’s population is 20 billion, and then 60 billion a century after that? Where does all the energy, food etc come from then? There wont be enough lithium for batteries, or wind or waves or anything else. Maybe a whole bunch on nuclear reactors ( with their different set of problems) but it wont matter because at that point the main cause of carbon is likely to be the 60 billion pink squishy things ( other colours are available) farting and talking and trying to breath. How do we resolve that issue?

Personally I am in favour of breathing fresh air, irrespective of whatever people believe causes global warming / climate change ( whatever we are calling it this week ) so I don’t have any particular issue with reducing carbon emissions, but focusing on private cars is an easy shot without looking at the wider problem.

And one last thing on the whole electric car debate, we’re all on a Porsche website so I think it fair to say we’re probably all doing relatively ok financially. On the whole Electric cars are ridiculously expensive ( even a “cheap” car like the Corsa E is the best part of £30k ) and if you live in a flat where will you plug it in?

We need to be focusing on the bigger picture, of which cars are a small part that are easy to pick on.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

After years of being anti i'm beginning to think the only way we can generate enough cleanish energy is nuclear power. I'd push as much investment as possible into creating a series of generation four SMRs.

This would solve most of the spent fuel storage problems and release far more energy from the nuclear fuels enabling us to establish even more sustainable renewable capacity.

I'm a bit dubious about fusion power but we could configure some reactors to produce Hydrogen for use as a direct fuel or to be cracked up to a petrol.

Cheap electricity is essential for take up of electric cars and heat pumps but at the moment it's crazy to use electric heat pumps running on power created very inefficiently from gas which could have been used to heat houses directly.

We are currently in a windy, sunny day producing a good third of our electricity from gas, equivalent to about 22 of the current Rolls-Royce SMRs.

I've seen the mess a Uranium mine creates and spoken to workers; ten year limit on the job due to exposure limits. That doesn't make nuclear power a free lunch!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
pmg

Post by pmg »

Tim92gts wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:47 am After years of being anti i'm beginning to think the only way we can generate enough cleanish energy is nuclear power. I'd push as much investment as possible into creating a series of generation four SMRs.

This would solve most of the spent fuel storage problems and release far more energy from the nuclear fuels enabling us to establish even more sustainable renewable capacity.

I'm a bit dubious about fusion power but we could configure some reactors to produce Hydrogen for use as a direct fuel or to be cracked up to a petrol.

Cheap electricity is essential for take up of electric cars and heat pumps but at the moment it's crazy to use electric heat pumps running on power created very inefficiently from gas which could have been used to heat houses directly.

We are currently in a windy, sunny day producing a good third of our electricity from gas, equivalent to about 22 of the current Rolls-Royce SMRs.

I've seen the mess a Uranium mine creates and spoken to workers; ten year limit on the job due to exposure limits. That doesn't make nuclear power a free lunch!
I think Nuclear will just cause future climate issues for the reason I set out earlier in the thread, i.e releasing the energy contained within atoms out into the atmosphere
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8