Creative on-street charging solution

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I’ve just been told by a resident of Bath that in this part of the town there exist ancient coalshutes. Although they are now some distance from their respective houses there are underground tunnels via which the residents - or should we say ‘their staff’ - would access the coal delivery. These tunnels, or maybe some of them, are still accessible.

Therefore the presumption is that owner has run a cable from a pukka box through the tunnel to the coalshute cover.

All that remains therefore is the status of the cable and cable cover that whilst not illegal presents possible issues.

Which council is going to be the first to jump?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

GTB

Post by GTB »

Dandock wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:38 pm I’ve just been told by a resident of Bath that in this part of the town there exist ancient coalshutes. Although they are now some distance from their respective houses there are underground tunnels via which the residents - or should we say ‘their staff’ - would access the coal delivery. These tunnels, or maybe some of them, are still accessible.

Therefore the presumption is that owner has run a cable from a pukka box through the tunnel to the coalshute cover.

All that remains therefore is the status of the cable and cable cover that whilst not illegal presents possible issues.

Dandock,
Are you the one thats "Presuming"?

As an professional and registered UK Electrical Engineer, I can assure you that is far from being legal and compliant.

Before you think of a reply back, My name is actually credited as one of only nineteen technical contributor's to the Code of Practice for EVSE Installations on filling stations which of course runs alongside the main COP for EVSE Installations in the UK.

As I said, if this is a genuine picture and there is an electrical connection below that cable protector its far from being legal.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

I am sure we will get more of these stories as we get closer to 2030.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Hi Mike

Yes all is well despite my Macan being laid up again following my recent cataract op.

We have discussed this before and in particular on street charging at your home.

I do not see that there is any real cost effective solution to on street charging.

Nor do I see a need for a charging point outside each home that does not have off street parking.

The solution to me an Engineer is pretty simple, electric cars irrespective of make should have standard removable battery packs. When necessary you drive to an exchange station where the discharged battery pack is removed automatically and a charged battery pack fitted.

Remember Tesla demonstrated at an auto battery replacement event that their battery pack could be exchanged in 3 minutes so arguably even quicker than filling up a Macan with 70 litres of fuel,

My crystal ball tells me that when vehicles become autonomous those without on street parking send their EV off to a charging park and recall it as and when necessary.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

GTB wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:51 pm
Dandock wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:38 pm I’ve just been told by a resident of Bath that in this part of the town there exist ancient coalshutes. Although they are now some distance from their respective houses there are underground tunnels via which the residents - or should we say ‘their staff’ - would access the coal delivery. These tunnels, or maybe some of them, are still accessible.

Dandock,
Are you the one thats "Presuming"?

As an professional and registered UK Electrical Engineer, I can assure you that is far from being legal and compliant.

Before you think of a reply back, My name is actually credited as one of only nineteen technical contributor's to the Code of Practice for EVSE Installations on filling stations which of course runs alongside the main COP for EVSE Installations in the UK.

As I said, if this is a genuine picture and there is an electrical connection below that cable protector its far from being legal.

GTB
GTB. My presumption is simply that a cable has been run from beneath the cover back to the property. That presumption is based on information provided by a local resident - and I can only accept his local knowledge - that there exist a Georgian tunnels in this locality. I have never suggested that anything to do with the connecting being legal, except for if it were via, say, current infrastructure access point. What is unseen can only be imagined. My one comment was that it was ‘interesting’.

As for the validity of the photograph I can, as a retired designer and art director with over 50 years experience, totally guarantee it’s honesty. Albeit I might ask you what you are suggesting.

Just floating boats… but should there be a fully approved underground structure from house to kerb, and capping the exit a cover (ownership unknown), and should there have been fitted somewhere within the house or tunnel a fully compliant connection facility, what would the status be?
Last edited by Dandock on Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:45 pm Hi Mike

Yes all is well despite my Macan being laid up again following my recent cataract op.

We have discussed this before and in particular on street charging at your home.

I do not see that there is any real cost effective solution to on street charging.

Nor do I see a need for a charging point outside each home that does not have off street parking.

The solution to me an Engineer is pretty simple, electric cars irrespective of make should have standard removable battery packs. When necessary you drive to an exchange station where the discharged battery pack is removed automatically and a charged battery pack fitted.

Remember Tesla demonstrated at an auto battery replacement event that their battery pack could be exchanged in 3 minutes so arguably even quicker than filling up a Macan with 70 litres of fuel,

My crystal ball tells me that when vehicles become autonomous those without on street parking send their EV off to a charging park and recall it as and when necessary.
I doubt I’ll be around if that ever comes to pass.
GTB

Post by GTB »

Dandock,

You indicated "Just floating boats… but should there be a fully approved underground structure from house to kerb, and capping the exit a cover (ownership unknown), and should there have been fitted somewhere within the house or tunnel a fully compliant connection facility, what would the status be?"

So again a lot of presumptions and should there be's, the simple and plain to see situation is there are so many issues to overcome with regards permissions and approvals, that the chance of the detail in your picture actually being fully legal is Nil.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

GTB wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:02 pm Dandock,

You indicated "Just floating boats… but should there be a fully approved underground structure from house to kerb, and capping the exit a cover (ownership unknown), and should there have been fitted somewhere within the house or tunnel a fully compliant connection facility, what would the status be?"

So again a lot of presumptions and should there be's, the simple and plain to see situation is there are so many issues to overcome with regards permissions and approvals, that the chance of the detail in your picture actually being fully legal is Nil.

GTB
I’d always assumed that it wasn’t pukka. Simply intrigued. And a subject for conversation. Which has proved to be the case.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I suspect this is utilising an existing duct of some sort to route the cable to a pukka EV charger. Not certain on this but I don’t think the car would accept any other random connection to a power source. As has been said the car port is locked once charging starts and probably the other end isn’t accessible to vandals etc. Enough has been said about legality or otherwise of the pavement connection so I won’t attempt to add anything else!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Dandock wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:04 am 345DA176-5F61-41EE-8AF6-A2E96DB04699.jpeg

Saw this in Bath yesterday. Owner clearly has worked some sort of fudge via a standard infrastructure cover. Have they employed a redundant portal? And ignoring the status of cable cover how exactly is this possible, practical and legal.

And if legal, what a great solution!
I have often seen this rubber cover on the pavement in Great Pultney St. Bath, but with no Taycan attached to it! Mystery solved!!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver