Electric car (choice of)

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Macananon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:46 pm I regularly travel 220 miles to Devon. Recharge network en route is woeful, and I can't see it changing anytime soon. So no current Ev is still of any interest to me.
Fast chargers on M5 at Exeter and also Ionity superfast ones close by. So you might well be OK - but having said that, if I regularly did that journey I would not be planning to do it in a Taycan. EVs certainly will not work for everyone at the moment. No question about it. I think it can work for me - I hope I am correct.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Ian.g wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:23 pm Interesting thread... I have a Taycan on order and spent a lot of time thinking about whether or not it was the right thing to do. I accept it is a bit of a gamble, but when I look at my driving, it will be an unusual event to need to charge anywhere other than home. There is 13A charging at work (slow but might be worth looking at as electricity prices rocket). For the longer journeys I think there will be adequate charging for the places that I visit. And we can always take my wife's Land Rover. So I think it will work for me - and by the way, the Taycan is amazing to drive!
I do about 95% of my charging at home. But when you are out on one of those rare longer journeys requiring a charge, then for me the key is reliability of the charger. The idea of turning up to a charging station with less than 10% battery and finding out that it doesn't work would be a nightmare. I have full confidence in Tesla chargers because they always work with zero hassle, which is not the case with most of the others from what I've seen. I don't want to be messing around with Apps, payment cards and having to call for assistance when there are issues. It has to be plug and play and only Tesla appear to have achieved that so far. Having said that my neighbour has just bought an iPace and took it on a long trip up North and had a good experience charging en-route. I can't remember which chargers he used, but he said they all worked fine.
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Similar thought process, ended up with an electric Mini, nominally my wife’s car and a new GTS for me. We both use the Mini for local journeys and for longer journeys we tend to go together and I drive in the GTS. Same comments about chargers though, most seem to be the 7kw version and a significant number are out of action. We have solar panels on the house and found that we could charge during the day for almost nothing during the summer using the slow charger in a 13 A plug. I monitor our electric usage and noticed minimal increase in usage off the grid then. Now with the shorter days we charge overnight on economy 7.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

bigbaldybloke wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:53 am Similar thought process, ended up with an electric Mini, nominally my wife’s car and a new GTS for me. We both use the Mini for local journeys and for longer journeys we tend to go together and I drive in the GTS. Same comments about chargers though, most seem to be the 7kw version and a significant number are out of action. We have solar panels on the house and found that we could charge during the day for almost nothing during the summer using the slow charger in a 13 A plug. I monitor our electric usage and noticed minimal increase in usage off the grid then. Now with the shorter days we charge overnight on economy 7.
We also run an E-Mini which we love, but it takes around 5 hours to charge on our 7kw charger and never shows a range of more than around 95 miles, which even though we only use it to potter around locally still requires more recharging than i anticipated. We also run an E-2008 which gives us 175 miles and takes no longer to charge (which i really don't understand). Superb for the early morning school run where you can have instant heat and sit idling without feeling like you're killing anyone. However, whilst using it as a motorway car whilst awaiting my GTS it was noticeable that as soon as the temperature plummets then the 175 expected range plummets and I'm using up 2 miles of range per mile which means that i have to find somewhere to charge it at my regular destination which is anything but easy.

And if you drive north of 65 mph the range plummets even quicker hence why is presumably why most E-cars sit at around 65 mph in the middle lanes of motorways. Unless you have significant range then E-cars can be a problem to live with if you're doing reasonable motorway distances on a regular basis unless you have a dedicated charger waiting for you and /or the lots of traffic jams causing you to do lots of braking and therefore helping regenerate and gain some extra range. Hence I am now fortunate to run the wonderful petrol GTS which will keep me anxiety-free for now.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Just not getting it. Whilst I accept that EV’s are really best suited if long range travel is not a requirement, why would one choose to pay out significantly more to use just as a runaround. For example a base EV Mini is over 40% more than it’s ICE equivalent? Unless it’s a tax break benefit just doesn't make economic sense. Although 🤔 neither does buying a Porsche 😖🤐
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

It looks as if private users are not the only ones trying electric cars.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/ ... eview.html
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Electric cars came up at our away day partners meeting a couple of weeks back

From an image/responsibility point of view we are considering that all 8 full equity partners get a Taycan through one of our businesses.

That’s fine but I’m not giving up what I already have !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

MikeM wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:43 am Just not getting it. Whilst I accept that EV’s are really best suited if long range travel is not a requirement, why would one choose to pay out significantly more to use just as a runaround. For example a base EV Mini is over 40% more than it’s ICE equivalent? Unless it’s a tax break benefit just doesn't make economic sense. Although 🤔 neither does buying a Porsche 😖🤐
You are correct in that I would not have a runaround Mini if it wasn't for the tax breaks. But there is also the cost of running a big heavy Porsche around the local streets of London. It's stop/start driving, narrow roads, potholes, difficulty finding parking that not only gives mpg in the low teens, but also has a massively detrimental impact on the tyres, brakes and general wear and tear. The Mini is indeed a luxury, but in our current circumstances works brilliantly and allows me to enjoy the Porsche on the open road and the Mini when i need to go somewhere local. The petrol version gave me 25mpg so wasn't cheap to run either.

In terms of cost, the difference between the 2 year contract hire cost of our petrol mini versus our new E-mini is £100, so whilst the listing price might be higher that does not always translate to a higher lifetime contract hire cost.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I had a popup add on Facebook for BMW electric vehicles.

Glup, they cannot be serious.

Looked at the i4 then at the iX SUV.

Build Your Own price for the iX ended up at £120,390

I’ll pass
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags