Electric car (choice of)

The place to discuss everything else..
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

The structure is just not in place yet for EV’s. Another 5 years and I’ll take another look.
Not enough charging stations and many of them are broken. As stated above, unless you are charging at home then popping to the shops etc then electric just isn’t a realistic option at the moment.
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Sweetmeister wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:18 am The structure is just not in place yet for EV’s. Another 5 years and I’ll take another look.
Not enough charging stations and many of them are broken. As stated above, unless you are charging at home then popping to the shops etc then electric just isn’t a realistic option at the moment.
Being ‘realistic’ is very subjective and depends on your circumstances. Personally I’d only have an electric vehicle if I installed charging at home. I rarely drive more than 45miles in any given direction so max 100mile round trip so the range on almost any EV should be fine. Being realistic the Macan S I’m awaiting is only going to do 300-400 miles on a tank so EV isn’t that far away.

As for lots of charging stations being broken, I’ve no idea if this is true or what % it is etc but I know this is thrown out a lot and I can always imagine this coming from the likes of Jeremy Clarkson who hates change. Would be great if anyone has any links to stats about it as I always see loads of EV charging stations at the likes of fleet services but no idea if they are all working?
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

Show me an EV that can do 400 miles,real world! The Tesla did less than 300 on the carwow test!
As I said unless you are charging at home and popping to the shops then EV is not a realistic option,for you it is.
Regarding the broken charge points,have you read all this thread?
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

BanZ wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:30 am
Sweetmeister wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:18 am The structure is just not in place yet for EV’s. Another 5 years and I’ll take another look.
Being ‘realistic’ is very subjective and depends on your circumstances. Personally I’d only have an electric vehicle if I installed charging at home. I rarely drive more than 45miles in any given direction so max 100mile round trip so the range on almost any EV should be fine. Being realistic the Macan S I’m awaiting is only going to do 300-400 miles on a tank so EV isn’t that far away.

As for lots of charging stations being broken, I’ve no idea if this is true or what % it is etc but I know this is thrown out a lot and I can always imagine this coming from the likes of Jeremy Clarkson who hates change. Would be great if anyone has any links to stats about it as I always see loads of EV charging stations at the likes of fleet services but no idea if they are all working?
With regard to broken chargers check out youtube for people that already own electric cars bemoaning the state of the charging network. A recent one I posted showed Smee’s Tycan woes. Can’t stand the bloke but the review was quite insightful. Also Guy Martin did a recent TV show where he tried to build the worlds fastest EV ( and failed ). He drove Lands End to John O’Grotes and also commented on how many chargers were broken. Its all anecdotal, sure, but there is a lot of it.

I’m quite pro electric cars but you need a pretty narrow use case for them to work. If its not your only car, you have a home charger and never drive more than 100 mile round trip then it’s absolutely fine ( apart from the high buy price ), but for me the infrastructure isn’t there yet and the cars don’t have the range I need. I very much expect my next car after the Macan will be electric though.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Just get a Model 3 LR. Range is more than enough for most people and the super-charging network is very fast and hassle free. Coming up to 4 years now with our Model X and nearly a year with our Model 3 LR. Despite all the scare-mongering both have been very reliable. Maybe I'm just lucky? Build quality is not that bad either. Nothing special, but no worse than many other cars I've owned. Probably the worst thing is the very average panel fits from the factory, but if you are fussy the service centres will correct panel gaps for you. I had them adjust the boot shut lines and front passenger door on our Model 3. Not really a big deal, just slightly irritating that they don't sort this stuff out on PDI. Actually that seems to be the issue, there isn't really a PDI. But that aside, the car itself is phenomenal. Makes my 911 look sluggish and I love the scandi interior with its proper modern UI. The screen on the Model 3 is a big step improvement on the Model X too. I can't stand driving conventional cars anymore. It's like going back from an iPhone to a 1990s Nokia. EVs in general are just more convenient too in many ways. Like home charging instead of having to rely 100% on fuel stations and the ability to pre-heat/cool the cabin from your phone. But if home charging is not possible then you do have to think twice.

We're planning to replace our Model X with a Model Y next year. Got to say I'm disappointed with the lack of serious EV competition and public chargers still look like a bad joke. Having owned 2 Teslas now I honestly wouldn't mind a change just for the sake of it, but I know I would sorely miss the Tesla charging. I was at the Hopwood Park services last weekend and some poor sod in an ID4 was circling round looking for somewhere to charge while there were about 12 free Tesla 150kW chargers he couldn't use. I don't want to be that guy next year! Neither do I want to give up Tesla performance or their intuitive UI. So I guess it's looking like a hat-trick of Teslas for us. Not something I expected when we first dipped the toe in the water 4 years ago.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:26 pm I tested a few. In my opinion Teslsa are the only real player in this market. Better range, better performance and better charging network than anyone else. Cons are; if you stick with a 3 then the California Hippy Community interior and build quality issues. If you go with any Tesla you have major nannying issues.

Must say though, I found the customer service to be better than my experience with Porsche so far.

Btw, Audi Q4 etron felt cheap and nasty and was very slow
California Hippy Community interior? WTF?
So I Googled it and it came up with this:-

which looks nothing like this:-

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Funny, I get this. Still no resemblance? Think you may have your google searches set to the wrong century.

1E043435-A014-4AEB-BCBE-B75F0785709D.jpeg

754DF812-F65E-44A1-9368-14103D00B09D.jpeg

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I ran two Nissan Leafs consecutively for the dog

Ideal for that purpose and running to the station and leaving it there because I didn’t care about it !

Never used a public charging point because if I was going far I would take a gas guzzler

I don’t normally do finance but the chance to try a £30k top of the range model for £500 down and £150/mth was a no brainier because I easily saved that in fuel alone over a month plus it kept the mileage down in the main cars and therefore their value up!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
New User

Post by New User »

Tracky wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:55 amI don’t normally do finance but the chance to try a £30k top of the range model for £500 down and £150/mth was a no brainier because I easily saved that in fuel alone over a month plus it kept the mileage down in the main cars and therefore their value up!
^^^^^Perfect answer
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I’m 3000 miles into EV ownership and so far it has cost be a fiver with one home charge required.