Electric car (choice of)

The place to discuss everything else..
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

None - Never will I buy electric until the infrastructure is ready. Friend has a 100K Tesla & plans his routes. He had to call RAC to take him to another filling station so he could charge his car & continue with his journey. No thanks
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Will the infrastructure ever be ready?

If I want to go on a 200 mile journey, can I (1) now (2) will I be able to in five years time.

(1) enroute charging now will be an issue unless in a Tesla. Will there be enough charging points to top up in a reasonable period of time, I know there are Apps available to show charging point locations but will there be any unoccupied? How long will charging take and how many times will I have to charge?

(2) five years hence will the infrastructure have expanded enough to cater for the much larger numbers of EV’s on the road? Even driving a Tesla may result in having to queue at a service station for a charger to become free. Will the Service Stations on the Motorways be able to cope with the vast number of vehicles that will be there for an extended stay, they struggle at present during the summer holiday period? Will the battery technology have advanced enough? Not hopeful imo, given that the Tesla S has been on the market for 9 years.

When the iPace came out I sent a message to The NEC enquiring about charging points, they said that they were looking at installing some but as yet they did not have an answer to churn and charging points once the connected vehicle had been charged. This I think is where the major problem will be and the Charge Point Rage will become a quite serious issue in the future.

To many unknowns at present for us to commit to EV especially as we are a one car household and my Mrs does not drive.

One thing is certain a range of 100-150 miles is probably useless for single car families.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
andreas

Post by andreas »

I'd love an electric car. Generally, I don't do more than 250-300 miles in a day. I have 3-phase power at home, so I could fit a meaty charger. But, if I wanted to venture further afield, would the infrastructure live up to my expectations? Right now, I have no confidence that there'll ever be enough public chargers, plus no confidence that we'll ever have enough electricity in the national grid. So, for now, I'm sitting on the fence and enjoying our ICE cars.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

MCDK wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:53 pm I’m 3000 miles into EV ownership and so far it has cost be a fiver with one home charge required.
Can you expand on your statement please - what BEV do you have? is that 300 or 3000 miles?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

My Wife has a new EQA.The range is averaging270 to 300 depending on regeneration etc.She mainly charges at home on a Garo charger but when she needs to charge en route she uses Instavolt or Osprey where she can.Never had a problem with broken chargers or having to wait for a charger to be free.The time it takes to go from 10 to 80 % is about 35 minutes.Just time for a coffee and comfort break.It is costing very little to run.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:20 pm
MCDK wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:53 pm I’m 3000 miles into EV ownership and so far it has cost be a fiver with one home charge required.
Can you expand on your statement please - what BEV do you have? is that 300 or 3000 miles?
It’s 3000 miles since June and I have a VW ID.3 Pro Performance Max to give it the full title 😆
I have a charger at work hence why I never need to charge at home except one weekend where I needed a half “tank” top up hence the fiver cost. Even if I didn’t have work charging but used public chargers it would still be free as public chargers here in Northern Ireland are free to use.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:09 am Funny, I get this. Still no resemblance? Think you may have your google searches set to the wrong century.

1E043435-A014-4AEB-BCBE-B75F0785709D.jpeg
754DF812-F65E-44A1-9368-14103D00B09D.jpeg
Okay, but I wouldn't call that a negative point.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:15 pm Will the infrastructure ever be ready?

If I want to go on a 200 mile journey, can I (1) now (2) will I be able to in five years time.

(1) enroute charging now will be an issue unless in a Tesla. Will there be enough charging points to top up in a reasonable period of time, I know there are Apps available to show charging point locations but will there be any unoccupied? How long will charging take and how many times will I have to charge?

(2) five years hence will the infrastructure have expanded enough to cater for the much larger numbers of EV’s on the road? Even driving a Tesla may result in having to queue at a service station for a charger to become free. Will the Service Stations on the Motorways be able to cope with the vast number of vehicles that will be there for an extended stay, they struggle at present during the summer holiday period? Will the battery technology have advanced enough? Not hopeful imo, given that the Tesla S has been on the market for 9 years.

When the iPace came out I sent a message to The NEC enquiring about charging points, they said that they were looking at installing some but as yet they did not have an answer to churn and charging points once the connected vehicle had been charged. This I think is where the major problem will be and the Charge Point Rage will become a quite serious issue in the future.

To many unknowns at present for us to commit to EV especially as we are a one car household and my Mrs does not drive.

One thing is certain a range of 100-150 miles is probably useless for single car families.
From what I've seen of the public charging infrastructure while using Tesla chargers (as they are often located alongside) it doesn't inspire much confidence. The Tesla app shows live availability of all their chargers, so you know how many are free before you arrive. Never had to queue ever, but they are getting more busy.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Interesting thread... I have a Taycan on order and spent a lot of time thinking about whether or not it was the right thing to do. I accept it is a bit of a gamble, but when I look at my driving, it will be an unusual event to need to charge anywhere other than home. There is 13A charging at work (slow but might be worth looking at as electricity prices rocket). For the longer journeys I think there will be adequate charging for the places that I visit. And we can always take my wife's Land Rover. So I think it will work for me - and by the way, the Taycan is amazing to drive!
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I regularly travel 220 miles to Devon. Recharge network en route is woeful, and I can't see it changing anytime soon. So no current Ev is still of any interest to me.