Tesla Model 3

The place to discuss everything else..
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Today I went (Manchester) for a test drive in a Tesla Model 3 (available for delivery as soon as November (Model S not delivered for a year until next November)).

It looks OK, very ordinary. It’s big enough, able to take golf bag and trolley in the boot. I (personally) don’t like the huge screen in my face and I don’t like to wood trim and I don’t like that I must have a smart phone to use the car. The drive was ‘different’ but I liked it, the performance was very impressive

The salesman said that the E-Macan will have a huge (in your face) screen and also require a smartphone to operate it?

bompey

Post by bompey »

Wouldn’t believe a word of it. No one knows what the new eMacan will do.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Fairynuff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm Today I went (Manchester) for a test drive in a Tesla Model 3 (available for delivery as soon as November (Model S not delivered for a year until next November)).

It looks OK, very ordinary. It’s big enough, able to take golf bag and trolley in the boot. I (personally) don’t like the huge screen in my face and I don’t like to wood trim and I don’t like that I must have a smart phone to use the car. The drive was ‘different’ but I liked it, the performance was very impressive

The salesman said that the E-Macan will have a huge (in your face) screen and also require a smartphone to operate it?
How would a tesla salesman know about the upcoming e-macan?
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

BanZ wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:52 pm
Fairynuff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm Today I went (Manchester) for a test drive in a Tesla Model 3 (available for delivery as soon as November (Model S not delivered for a year until next November)).

How would a tesla salesman know about the upcoming e-macan?
Probably because that’s what most electric cars look like ( Tesla, Mustang, polestar etc). Audi have been wise to avoid that “i left my ipad in the car” look. We can only hope Porsche will not do it either.

BTW, anyone that hasn’t driven a model 3 performance should really give it a go to see what fast really feels like. Its insane and instant
MattS

Post by MattS »

I test drove one a couple months ago- agreed on the big screen, I was not a fan of not having a dash in front of me but instead having an enormous touch screen alongside. Might get used to having to look across for everything but it felt very odd.

The performance was absolutely mental, as you say, but I think it would get old very quickly. To me at least, it didn't seem particularly engaging in any way apart from the fact that it was so quick to accelerate. I didn't really get to hoon it much though as the traffic wasn't great!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I tried one. Like driving a heavy fridge fired from a catapult. Not impressed with the fit, finish, aesthetics or monster screen for virtually everything. :roll:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:03 pm I tried one. Like driving a heavy fridge fired from a catapult. Not impressed with the fit, finish, aesthetics or monster screen for virtually everything. :roll:
Crawled all over several in the States and I have to say the build quality was appalling. Like sitting o a badly built Airfix kit.

Most american cars tend to be badly built from my experience, even German American cars such as the Z4 and big Mercs but the Teslas took the biscuit.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Ms mate left her Model S on the drive once and some of the shut lines were like something akin to a 1970's Longbridge product.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Winryn

Post by Winryn »

I love the performance and the technology of the Tesla. But I cannot see past the awful looks, terrible interior and woeful build quality. I’m not sure I understand the electric car market. For me, give me the Tesla tech and wrap it in an appealing package. Nice looks, interior, badge etc and I’m sold. But every option is a weird quirky take on a car

Taycan is great actually but expensive. All the Audis look frumpy, bmw don’t get me started. That new ix3 is outrageous. Polestar nice interior but again exterior doesn’t appeal. Vw id3/4 are not as nice as the equivalent golf and Tiguan. The normal looking offerings from Peugeot, mini have limited range. The Skoda suv is probably the nicest option out there for me.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Winryn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:46 pm I love the performance and the technology of the Tesla. But I cannot see past the awful looks, terrible interior and woeful build quality. I’m not sure I understand the electric car market. For me, give me the Tesla tech and wrap it in an appealing package. Nice looks, interior, badge etc and I’m sold. But every option is a weird quirky take on a car

Taycan is great actually but expensive. All the Audis look frumpy, bmw don’t get me started. That new ix3 is outrageous. Polestar nice interior but again exterior doesn’t appeal. Vw id3/4 are not as nice as the equivalent golf and Tiguan. The normal looking offerings from Peugeot, mini have limited range. The Skoda suv is probably the nicest option out there for me.
Couldn't agree more.

I tried the iPace 3 years ago and that was pretty good. But that niggling JLR reliability and build quality reputation put me off. Also the away from home recharging nightmares. This is the one thing that Tesla have got really right compared to all the others. :idea:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver