Taycan

The place to discuss everything else..
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Depends where you are going down south. Download Zapmap and research the nearby charging stations on there. The Taycan forum is useful for information - it is as knowledgeable as this forum although a bit too much US input. Very useful though. 200 miles each way might be OK with a Taycan, but is probably at the limit of what you would want to be doing on a regular basis. Worth a bit more research on charge points etc

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:20 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:41 pm We saw four at Cullompton on the M5 as these would most likely be the ones we would use but they were all occupied by non Porsche cars so paying about 67p, hugely expensive, when not far away in a different car park were ‘standard’ chargers at much lower rates and which had empty bays. Crazy.
Not crazy if the fast chargers were getting the vehicles up to say 80% charge in a reasonable break time whereas the standard would take far longer than was happy to spend at a service station. ;) ;)
The cars using them were not capable of taking ultra fast charging. The users may well not have been aware of what they were paying.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

Gridserve are upgrading all motorway chargers and have installed a bank of 12 high speed chargers at Rugby Services. They also have their service station in Essex and have planned for many more of these plus continuing upgrades
Ionity are teamed up with Porsche and other major manufacturers

Even my favourite haunt of Dulverton on Exmoor has a couple of high speed chargers - Instavolt

Porsche has their destination charger network plus high speed chargers at all their dealers

If you order a Taycan, you'll have to wait a year anyway, by which time it will all be sorted :-)
The Taycan forum is at www.taycanforum.com and has an international user base. US charging infastructure seems poor, but those undertaking European road trips have mostly praise for the ease of charging en-route
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I believe that charging points are not the end of the story, I have several friends at or coming to the end of careers in the electricity supply industry one of whom related that MANWEB, back in the day, had installed cabling between generators and consumers about double the capacity of most suppliers which would see the Northwest OK for a while but mostly the supply infrastructure just wont cope with the demands coming its way. Maybe smart solutions will help but potentially we could see a lot of roads being dug up! ££££££££££!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:07 am I believe that charging points are not the end of the story, I have several friends at or coming to the end of careers in the electricity supply industry one of whom related that MANWEB, back in the day, had installed cabling between generators and consumers about double the capacity of most suppliers which would see the Northwest OK for a while but mostly the supply infrastructure just wont cope with the demands coming its way. Maybe smart solutions will help but potentially we could see a lot of roads being dug up! ££££££££££!
Yes - my tariff is a smart tariff -
charge my car between 12:30am and 04:30 at 5p per unit, Octopus Energy - about 2.5ppm

Having said that, we've had super fast broadband suppliers digging all our roads and pavements over the last few weeks...
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

We just need to invent an adapter that we can plug into the router that will deliver electricity! It works the other way around so why not? 🤣
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

11 months lead time on delivery for a Taycan and unknown years for a Macan EV; the workers at Porsche must be either working 24/7 to meet demand from the rest of the world or sat there doing little to nothing waiting for semi-conductors
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

neilj007 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:59 am Gridserve are upgrading all motorway chargers and have installed a bank of 12 high speed chargers at Rugby Services. They also have their service station in Essex and have planned for many more of these plus continuing upgrades
Ionity are teamed up with Porsche and other major manufacturers

Even my favourite haunt of Dulverton on Exmoor has a couple of high speed chargers - Instavolt

Porsche has their destination charger network plus high speed chargers at all their dealers

If you order a Taycan, you'll have to wait a year anyway, by which time it will all be sorted :-)
The Taycan forum is at www.taycanforum.com and has an international user base. US charging infastructure seems poor, but those undertaking European road trips have mostly praise for the ease of charging en-route
Rather optimistic view I fear. And not all OPCs have fast chargers at the moment although that may be an aspiration.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

Operator guidelines state that all Porsche dealers have to have the rapid chargers. Swindon's are been switched on today.
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

neilj007 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:46 am Operator guidelines state that all Porsche dealers have to have the rapid chargers. Swindon's are been switched on today.
Mid Sussex have a couple, but they are a bit tucked out of the way.