Macan alternatives

The place to discuss everything else..
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

I’m considering changing my Macan for a plug-hybrid. I think The Macan is great, but have had them for nearly 6 years and feel like a change. And it seems like a good time to sell, with used prices on the Macan being so high.

I’m not yet comfortable to move to full electric (I’ll look at the Macan EV in a few years). I’m thinking a plug-in hybrid would be a good stepping stone into the world of electric, especially with many of my journeys being under 20 miles return.

I like the Cayenne hybrid, but it’s just too big for me.

Do members have any other suggestions as to suitable plug-in hybrid alternatives to the Macan?

One contender is the BMW X3 30e.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Obvious ones for me are the Disco Sport hybrid and the Volvo. Volvo will probably be a better option. The issue I found with PHEV’s is that they are typically £10-15k more expensive than their pure petrol counterparts.
Deleted User 4439

Post by Deleted User 4439 »

Makanik wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:00 pm I’m considering changing my Macan for a plug-hybrid. I think The Macan is great, but have had them for nearly 6 years and feel like a change. And it seems like a good time to sell, with used prices on the Macan being so high.

I’m not yet comfortable to move to full electric (I’ll look at the Macan EV in a few years). I’m thinking a plug-in hybrid would be a good stepping stone into the world of electric, especially with many of my journeys being under 20 miles return.

Do members have any other suggestions as to suitable plug-in hybrid alternatives to the Macan?

I wouldn’t bother. The additional cost vs the potential fuel savings isn’t worth it! Also in the real world you won’t even get 20 miles out of the battery (especially in cold weather). I’ve got a Honda E as a shopping car and it’s great for that purpose but the range reduces by about a 1/3 when the weather gets cold.

I’d go the whole hog and go full EV or just get a MHEV/normal ICE car.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

mistercesq wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:50 pm
Makanik wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:00 pm I’m considering changing my Macan for a plug-hybrid. I think The Macan is great, but have had them for nearly 6 years and feel like a change. And it seems like a good time to sell, with used prices on the Macan being so high.

I wouldn’t bother. The additional cost vs the potential fuel savings isn’t worth it! Also in the real world you won’t even get 20 miles out of the battery (especially in cold weather). I’ve got a Honda E as a shopping car and it’s great for that purpose but the range reduces by about a 1/3 when the weather gets cold.

I’d go the whole hog and go full EV or just get a MHEV/normal ICE car.
I’d agree with that. If they were no more expensive than a regular ICE car they’d be worth considering but you’ll never make your money back because of the extra cost over an ICE equivalent to buy, and they don’t do a whole heap for the environment. I think its ICE or EV and there’s loads written on why the UK isn’t really ready for EV’s yet ( although the cars are a lot closer now ) unless its a second car.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Have you had a look at Lexus ??

I have never looked at them myself but they appear to be well finished with good warranty etc..

(might be rubbish to drive :? )
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Lexus vehicles have that horrible CVT gearbox unless they have changed recently. BMW's look comical these days. I hear good reports about the Skoda range of SUV's if you can put up with the badge. JLR products are a pain to own. Can't recommend anything other than a Porsche.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

My brother has a Lexus, the gearbox wasn't very irritating but the cabin just isn't as nice a place to be as my Macan, which beyond the 14 way seats, is pretty basic. The Lexus does have a HUD though. Nothing will be better than the Macan IMHO.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
MH82

Post by MH82 »

Maserati Grecale
2022 GTS order cancelled
2023 718 Spyder order cancelled
Gone rogue and bought an Aston Martin V12 Vantage S :shock: