£4.5k and 4 points on license.

The place to discuss everything else..
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

andreas wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:57 pm Why would any cyclist fit a rear-facing GoPro camera unless it was for the express intention of getting evidence to complain about a driver? These people are just eager to cause as much difficulty as possible for drivers, yet these cyclists rarely obey traffic rules.

The driver in this case was probably about 4ft away from the bike. Despite what the new Highway Code says, I reckon that's fairly safe. If the cyclist were in a town, it's unlikely that buses would give a 5ft clearance when overtaking.
Err, probably in the case of as colloision. The same reason drivers install Dash Cams in thier vehicles, to prove the evidence of events, in case of the faulty offender, being economical with the truth.

wilko

Post by wilko »

andreas wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:57 pm Why would any cyclist fit a rear-facing GoPro camera unless it was for the express intention of getting evidence to complain about a driver? These people are just eager to cause as much difficulty as possible for drivers, yet these cyclists rarely obey traffic rules.

The driver in this case was probably about 4ft away from the bike. Despite what the new Highway Code says, I reckon that's fairly safe. If the cyclist were in a town, it's unlikely that buses would give a 5ft clearance when overtaking.
Sorry but that roadway is around 5m wide. So if the cyclist is 500mm from the kerb, and 750mm wide, that puts his outside at 875 from the kerb.
If you add 4 feet, that’s another 1.2 m, so the q 7 is 2 m wide would have his near side wheels just to the bike side of the white line to give 4 feet. It’s nowhere near.
With the road position, he was about 1 foot from the cyclist. 2.5 m to the white line, cyclist 875mm to their outside, leaves 1.5m to the centre line. Q7 is 2 m wide. Watch it again and even if the roads 5.5m wide, the q7 needs not just a ticket but a hefty slap. He has every opportunity to use the full road width, and if he did would only just leave the advised 1.5m gap.

How about I swing a sledge hammer within 1 foot of your head without warning, thirty times next week, and see how long it is until you fit a camera to try and catch me in the act and report me.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Why is it that many drivers passing cyclists expect oncoming traffic to give way to allow them to make the pass?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:17 pm Why is it that many drivers passing cyclists expect oncoming traffic to give way to allow them to make the pass?
Because the idiot cyclists are taking the rules by the books as opposed to applying common sense
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:17 pm Why is it that many drivers passing cyclists expect oncoming traffic to give way to allow them to make the pass?
Moot point.

Because many of the young are inconsiderate dicks who were taught to pass tests, not how to drive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nig0151

Post by Nig0151 »

Tracky wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:32 pm
Because the idiot cyclists are taking the rules by the books as opposed to applying common sense
A single cyclist caused absolute mayhem on my way to work the other day. On a stretch of road approx a mile all the cars would carefully navigate pass him and when we were all stationary at the traffic lights he would undertake us all, a whisker of hitting our side mirrors(where's the safe distance there). This scenario was repeated at all the traffic lights in this stretch of road to the absolute frustration and delay of the motorist. Where's the common sense? . This was a selfish cyclist not considering other road users who pay for the privilege of being on the roads.
wilko

Post by wilko »

Nig0151 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:10 am
Tracky wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:32 pm
A single cyclist caused absolute mayhem on my way to work the other day. On a stretch of road approx a mile all the cars would carefully navigate pass him and when we were all stationary at the traffic lights he would undertake us all, a whisker of hitting our side mirrors(where's the safe distance there). This scenario was repeated at all the traffic lights in this stretch of road to the absolute frustration and delay of the motorist. Where's the common sense? . This was a selfish cyclist not considering other road users who pay for the privilege of being on the roads.
Just to give the cyclists perspective on this.
I was cycling to work the other day and you wouldn’t believe the number of cars who insisted on overtaking me between consecutive sets of traffic lights when our time between each set of light was identical. If they just hung back they’d be behind the exact same car at the next set of traffic lights, and I’d still be ahead of them. If they’d just wait until they could make an overtake stick instead of holding me up at every set of lights, they’d be a lot les frustrated.

For reference my long term average (over 24kmiles) in my cayenne is 13mph. This is 60% urban 40% a roads and motorways. My average over the last 12k miles on my bike is a little over 17mph.
If I take my car to work, the commute takes 25 to 40 mins depending on traffic. Exact same route on the bike, 20mins dead every time.
As for paying for the roads, we all do through general taxation. Your vehicle excise duty is for the privilege of owning a high polluting vehicle.

Also I’d be happy to pay a road tax for my bike based on damage done to the roads. It’s weight to the power of 4, so a 1500kg car does 51000 times the damage of a 100kg bike per mile, so I’ll pay £1 road tax if you pay £51,000 for an average car or £160,000 for your macan.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

You have averaged 13mph over 24k miles!!
I don’t believe that, sorry. No mph average is calculated when stopped so you would have to have done something like 20,000 miles at walking pace to average 13 if you also have 4K miles on motorway! 😳
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

At least you don’t end up smelling of
Sweat if you take the car though
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

How did he cause "absolute mayhem" :lol:

It sounds like on average he was cycling the same distance in the same time as you in the car. If he was catching you up at every light you were in a 30mph limit, and with that much traffic and lights no doubt on average travelling slower.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94