£4.5k and 4 points on license.

The place to discuss everything else..
pmg

Post by pmg »

Plyphon wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:08 pm
A single cyclist caused absolute mayhem on my way to work the other day. On a stretch of road approx a mile all the cars would carefully navigate pass him and when we were all stationary at the traffic lights he would undertake us all, a whisker of hitting our side mirrors(where's the safe distance there). This scenario was repeated at all the traffic lights in this stretch of road to the absolute frustration and delay of the motorist. Where's the common sense? . This was a selfish cyclist not considering other road users who pay for the privilege of being on the roads.

How did he cause "absolute mayhem" :lol:

It sounds like on average he was cycling the same distance in the same time as you in the car. If he was catching you up at every light you were in a 30mph limit, and with that much traffic and lights no doubt on average travelling slower.
I read it that without the cyclist jumping to the front of the queue at each set lights subsequently slowing the cars as they wait to overtake him again, the car traffic would have been far quicker along the journey
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

pmg wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:36 pm
Plyphon wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:08 pm
A single cyclist caused absolute mayhem on my way to work the other day. On a stretch of road approx a mile all the cars would carefully navigate pass him and when we were all stationary at the traffic lights he would undertake us all, a whisker of hitting our side mirrors(where's the safe distance there). This scenario was repeated at all the traffic lights in this stretch of road to the absolute frustration and delay of the motorist. Where's the common sense? . This was a selfish cyclist not considering other road users who pay for the privilege of being on the roads.

How did he cause "absolute mayhem" :lol:

It sounds like on average he was cycling the same distance in the same time as you in the car. If he was catching you up at every light you were in a 30mph limit, and with that much traffic and lights no doubt on average travelling slower.
I read it that without the cyclist jumping to the front of the queue at each set lights subsequently slowing the cars as they wait to overtake him again, the car traffic would have been far quicker along the journey
And if that car driver was alone on the road, I’m sure he would get to where he needs to be, much quicker, if it wasn’t for every other car driver, just being present on the road at the same time. How inconsiderate those other drivers can be, tut, tut, tut.
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

And if that car driver was alone on the road, I’m sure he would get to where he needs to be, much quicker, if it wasn’t for every other car driver, just being present on the road at the same time. How inconsiderate those other drivers can be, tut, tut, tut.

Exactly. It's maddening how some can't see the wood for the trees when it comes to cycling. The difference in your journey time with and without that cyclist will be seconds to single digit minutes at best, especially if there are that many red lights that a cyclist can catch you up.

The fact of the matter is, the sheer number of cars on the road is what slows down you as a car driver.

Cycling benefits automobile enthusiasts in almost every conceivable way:
- Less local traffic
- Lower insurance premiums as there are less cars on the road
- The collective health benefits to society means less of your income tax is used to prop up the unhealthy
- Properly designed infrastructure which means those pesky cyclists are out of your way.

Don't believe me? Watch these:

Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Yep, it's all gone right down the pan since lockdown! We need another, NOW!

Essential journeys were much more fun in the old days.......
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
GDMac

Post by GDMac »

Consideration for cyclists is one thing, but the condition and width of the roads in some counties seldom gets brought into consideration. Nearly clobbered a cyclist the other day - I was probably just over 2 metres clear of him when he suddenly swerved to miss a pothole. Result was a gap down to a couple of feet and I had nowhere to go due to road width, still OK but also illegal. Never went any further but could have been expensive and inconvenient. Cyclists have a duty of care too but seem to be leaning on the law at present with their new-found rights.
Consideration for all please.
pmg

Post by pmg »

When I took my cycling proficiency test about 55 years ago, I think there something about checking over the shoulder before changing direction and also signaling. I rarely see a cyclist do either these days

Grumpy old man
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I totally understand and agree with the new rules on who gives way to who but…
Can anyone tell me where the car driver stands in terms of giving way to an illegal electric scooter??
Obviously don’t want to collide so give enough space is sensible but I wonder what the legal take on that is? 🤔
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Jon A wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:55 pm I totally understand and agree with the new rules on who gives way to who but…
Can anyone tell me where the car driver stands in terms of giving way to an illegal electric scooter??
Obviously don’t want to collide so give enough space is sensible but I wonder what the legal take on that is? 🤔
Whether the rider of the scooter is legal or not, will have little bearing on the case. You can’t Willy nilly wipe them off the road. The cops and courts now will look at the poor soul, with all the pity possible. Against a driver, who should be more responsible and intelligent. Who will get a hammering in court, should it get there. And then the Civil action, especially against a Porsche driver, OMG.
happy days

Post by happy days »

I was a racing cyclist for about 20 years, so was often out on the roads training. At one stage, I was doing around 350 miles a week. My observation from around that time was that some drivers are real dicks, passing deliberately close by, or passing then turning left causing me to brake sharply, etc etc. Only knocked off twice, though. And I really believe that I was pretty lucky in that regard. Mind you, this was before the new rules and cameras, etc.

However, since I stopped racing, I moved house. We now live on the coast between two small towns which are about 3 miles apart. The local scenery is really nice, and as a result is a magnet for both groups of cyclists and motorists out for their weekend drive. It's a normal B-road with a few straights, but can be very busy.

The thing is, that each group of cyclists think that they are the only ones using the road, but there are dozens of groups, actually. They travel anywhere between 15-22 mph normally, depending on the wind, but my biggest gripe is the shy motorist who simly will not even attempt to pass, and sits there behind them with a large tail back of traffic building up. Even when the road ahead is clear, they will not even attempt to pass. And as a result, none of the following traffic does either.

I was out on the bike once, three of us in a single file and could see the above situation developing. I had to drop back, come out behind and alongside the driver (using appropriate signals to the following traffic), and had to call in through the driver's window for them to pass. Eventually, she got the message and overtook with no issues and the rest of the traffic soon passed by.

Now the above situation is probably not that common, as (1) groups of bikers don't normally ride in single file; (2) groups are pretty much oblivious to the following traffic; (3) not every cyclist is determined (as I am) not to hold up following traffic; and (4) not every group of bikes is followed by a shy driver.

I have a pal (now deceased) who absolutely hated to see bikes on the road and got extremely frustrated and as a result, became a dangerous driver, when a situation like the above developed. But, the funny thing is, I can also see his side of the argument.
Macan S D
718 S
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I am a commuter cyclist and i see both sides of the story here. There are some cyclists, certainly in London, who are just out looking for trouble, I see it everyday where they shout and scream at people and then jump the red lights (cyclists do not have to stop at the red lights, right?)!
On the other hand, a 5ft gap seems too much at lower speeds, say 20mph. Over 30mph then maybe a 5ft gap is appropriate, but I rarely see drivers leaving this much space.

In this case the speed looks low and the risk also low. But the driver certainly did not help himself.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.