992 Turbo

The place to discuss everything else..
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

MacanArif wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:55 pm Thanks everyone - I was thinking about what to do with the front plate - don't think I want the plinth but the turbo unlike the GT3 doesn't have a large enough flat surface to get a legal number plate on it - hence having to have it curved. Could go smaller but then run into potentially having no compliant plate.
That plate as it is, is not compliant anyway.... no stick on reg number is for a modern car.

MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

GeeRam wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:22 pm
MacanArif wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:55 pm Thanks everyone - I was thinking about what to do with the front plate - don't think I want the plinth but the turbo unlike the GT3 doesn't have a large enough flat surface to get a legal number plate on it - hence having to have it curved. Could go smaller but then run into potentially having no compliant plate.
That plate as it is, is not compliant anyway.... no stick on reg number is for a modern car.
That's not correct - here are the official rules:

Rules for number plates

The number plates on your vehicle must:

be made from a reflective material
display black characters on a white background (front plate)
display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
not have a background pattern
be marked to show who supplied the number plate
be marked with a British Standard number - this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021

No where does it say it has to be on a plinth, my number plate meets the above requirement and the dealership were happy with putting it on for me. If you google the issue, it's been debated extensively.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

MacanArif wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:37 pm
GeeRam wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:22 pm
That's not correct - here are the official rules:

Rules for number plates

The number plates on your vehicle must:

be made from a reflective material
display black characters on a white background (front plate)
display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
not have a background pattern
be marked to show who supplied the number plate
be marked with a British Standard number - this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021

No where does it say it has to be on a plinth, my number plate meets the above requirement and the dealership were happy with putting it on for me. If you google the issue, it's been debated extensively.
Mounting it on the curve will mean it won't accurately reflect correctly for some speed cameras, and may not read correctly by ANPR because of the reflection/refraction caused by the curve......which is the argument you may end up having.
Plenty of people do it of course, but you did say about not wanting to have a non-compliant plate... ;)
Only way to be certain of that is to have the plinth.
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I get that the curvature maybe an issue but having a stick on plate per se is not illegal as long is complies with the above requirements.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

MacanArif wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:02 pm I get that the curvature maybe an issue but having a stick on plate per se is not illegal as long is complies with the above requirements.
Except with regard to compliance with BS AU 145........

As one of the 9 tests on a number plate to gain BS AU 145 compliance is the “Resistance to bending”. Basically, the test involves hanging a 3kg weight on the reg plate 125mm from the clamp point and the plate must not bend more than 25mm.
As an Engineer, I can't see how a stick on plate complies with that test, and thus a stick on plate should not have a BS AU 134 marking. But, people are interpreting thinks differently.

All depends on how compliant you want to be?
If you want to be squeaky clean 100%, then fit a proper plate on a plinth.
Otherwise, anything goes, at your own risk.
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

GeeRam wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:14 pm
MacanArif wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:02 pm I get that the curvature maybe an issue but having a stick on plate per se is not illegal as long is complies with the above requirements.
Except with regard to compliance with BS AU 145........

As one of the 9 tests on a number plate to gain BS AU 145 compliance is the “Resistance to bending”. Basically, the test involves hanging a 3kg weight on the reg plate 125mm from the clamp point and the plate must not bend more than 25mm.
As an Engineer, I can't see how a stick on plate complies with that test, and thus a stick on plate should not have a BS AU 134 marking. But, people are interpreting thinks differently.

All depends on how compliant you want to be?
If you want to be squeaky clean 100%, then fit a proper plate on a plinth.
Otherwise, anything goes, at your own risk.
Without wanting to extend the debate - I can't seem to find the resistance to bending test? Can you point me to the 9 tests?
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
Suzuki Swift Sport

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I would say the plate that is on it is legal enough and would never cause any Police issues. But it looks bad and spoils the car so would definitely look at a swap. I considered a stick on for my Taycan but again it’s curved and even going for a smaller plate doesn’t look right. Just kept with the plinth and standard plate stuck to it.