Puncture - Col Lamb may be right

The place to discuss everything else..
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

Not a Macan, but my Cayman... got 200 metres from my house and TPM warned rear tyre was low on pressure, well no existent pressure. Stepped out of car to find chunk of metal (not the screwdriver in image) had cut a slice in side wall of the tyre, totally flat. I drove the car back on to my drive way and now I'm waiting for the AA to take it away. Caymans don't have spares, just a tub of gloop and a compressor!

Picking up my new Macan this Wednesday, luckily I ticked the collapsible spare wheel & tyre box. Not sure I'd want hassle of fitting a spare but at least I'd be mobile after the AA visit.

IMG_4713.jpeg

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I still like having a spare but lots of cars do not have them nowadays unfortunately.
2japs

Post by 2japs »

EngineerMK wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:06 pm Not a Macan, but my Cayman... got 200 metres from my house and TPM warned rear tyre was low on pressure, well no existent pressure. Stepped out of car to find chunk of metal (not the screwdriver in image) had cut a slice in side wall of the tyre, totally flat. I drove the car back on to my drive way and now I'm waiting for the AA to take it away. Caymans don't have spares, just a tub of gloop and a compressor!

Picking up my new Macan this Wednesday, luckily I ticked the collapsible spare wheel & tyre box. Not sure I'd want hassle of fitting a spare but at least I'd be mobile after the AA visit.

I had exactly the same a few years ago, pulled off the drive and literally 30 yards suffered a catastrophic puncture, I was on my way to the golf club, changed the wheel with the spare, and on I was on my way and tee’d off on time.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

EngineerMK wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:06 pm Not a Macan, but my Cayman... got 200 metres from my house and TPM warned rear tyre was low on pressure, well no existent pressure. Stepped out of car to find chunk of metal (not the screwdriver in image) had cut a slice in side wall of the tyre, totally flat. I drove the car back on to my drive way and now I'm waiting for the AA to take it away. Caymans don't have spares, just a tub of gloop and a compressor!

The AA carry their own spare wheels. So you don't need one in the boot. They remove your wheel assembly, fit theirs and then follow you to your chosen tyre depot.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

I once suffered a catastrophic puncture on the way to the airport with wife and daughter for our holiday. Hadn't changed a wheel for two decades, but got it done and us to LGW just in time to make the flight. Wife was positively purring with admiration. Think I enjoyed some of the best sex of my life that night, and I now always option the spare wheel if I ever can
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:34 pm I once suffered a catastrophic puncture on the way to the airport with wife and daughter for our holiday. Hadn't changed a wheel for two decades, but got it done and us to LGW just in time to make the flight. Wife was positively purring with admiration. Think I enjoyed some of the best sex of my life that night, and I now always option the spare wheel if I ever can
:lol: :lol: :lol: the best reason choose an option you hope to never use!
2japs

Post by 2japs »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:34 pm I once suffered a catastrophic puncture on the way to the airport with wife and daughter for our holiday. Hadn't changed a wheel for two decades, but got it done and us to LGW just in time to make the flight. Wife was positively purring with admiration. Think I enjoyed some of the best sex of my life that night, and I now always option the spare wheel if I ever can

😎😎👍
Certainly beats me having a half decent round of golf!
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Not many tyre centres able to supply required spec tyre off shelf for a Macan. So well worth specifying one, it’s a cheap insurance policy and could save a lot of stress.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

SAC1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:20 pm The AA carry their own spare wheels. So you don't need one in the boot. They remove your wheel assembly, fit theirs and then follow you to your chosen tyre depot.
Steve, just out of curiosity what's the "assembly"? Presumably something more than just the wheel...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:38 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:20 pm The AA carry their own spare wheels. So you don't need one in the boot. They remove your wheel assembly, fit theirs and then follow you to your chosen tyre depot.
Steve, just out of curiosity what's the "assembly"? Presumably something more than just the wheel...
i was thinking the same. It would be a an amazing feat of engineering if one wheel could fit all car with the various bolt patterns and wheel offsets etc.