Carrera C2

The place to discuss everything else..
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Skyway wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:58 am Hate to think what the insurance would jump to with such mods. Aren’t these just conversation pieces in a pub? When would it ever get used?
We are talking about a guy with a new GT3 here, when would that get really used?
I think the Macan would be a fabulous car at around 500bhp, not necessary but fabulous. I also think some of these specials can be made to look way cooler (at a price) so in the end it comes down to a nice little vanity project where money isn’t the big issue but absolute individualism and owning something totally unique is the payoff, not unlike Simon’s yellow T 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Very true.
Macan S MY 2023
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Skyway wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:58 am Hate to think what the insurance would jump to with such mods. Aren’t these just conversation pieces in a pub? When would it ever get used?
Doesn’t always make that much difference

Both of my old twin turbo diesel BMWs I had years ago were done
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:02 pm
Jon A wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:53 pm
FirstSeaLord wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Interesting. Have just been offered £67k for my Jan 22 GTS with 6k miles as PX for another Macan. Feel there's a little more headroom then...
I think they are being a bit cheeky with that one. I would guess £73k (ish) as am quite sure that would be up at £80kplus at OPC?
Why another Macan when you have such a low mileage GTS??
Quite. Was thinking £75k and I'd make the change with the new one arriving around Jan, so in two years time.

No hurry to change. I'd just had a deposit down for months in readiness for the EV one which I could switch to when it's launched but have decided (as I think we discussed f2f) that not much good will come from going EV, so I then thought maybe get one of the last ICE versions given that the current models are holding their value pretty well. Well, until I heard the offer!

Haven't really engaged with the OPC since they gave me the number as it's not critical by all means, but might see if they're prepared to move upwards in a few days when am back home (currently in Scotland)
Not sure PX figure will be any different against a new GTS as OPC doesn't need to offer more as you've already ordered a new one. Are you thinking of changing now or 2 years down the road?
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Further tech question.
My car has a SIM card slot. What advantage would putting a prepaid SIM in the car have over just using my phone via CarPlay etc.
presumably a separate SIM is still going to be dependent on 4G access to work??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

A data SIM just gives more online service usage consumption, whatever that will be.

If I have it right there is an embedded SIM which will only allow so much data use, using an add in data SIM overrides the embedded SIM.

I am unsure how a mobile phone interacts with the car but in my logic it would need to be wired to the car to enable the mobile antennae inbuilt in the car to max out the signal strength and hence data flow.

If you stream audio via the mobile then getting a SIM probably would not be worthwhile.

If you max out in-car updates, use of Google Earth, searching, using the Apps then the data on the embedded SIM could be consumed.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

All data usage, except navigation, has to be via the embedded SIM or a data SIM in the external slot. Depending on contract terms, after the free period for data has expired on the embedded SIM either your phone or the inserted SIM is likely to be cheaper than using data via the embedded SIM. So it depends what usage you’re asking about Jon. As I’ve said before, using phone for navigation could be more costly than using the car’s system, which is GPS driven, and it also depends on the phone having a decent signal.

Incidentally, my 991.2 PCM only operates on 3G sadly, but hopefully the 992 uses at least 4G and might even be 5G capable.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Jon A wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:19 am
We are talking about a guy with a new GT3 here, when would that get really used?
I think the Macan would be a fabulous car at around 500bhp, not necessary but fabulous. I also think some of these specials can be made to look way cooler (at a price) so in the end it comes down to a nice little vanity project where money isn’t the big issue but absolute individualism and owning something totally unique is the payoff, not unlike Simon’s yellow T 😂

+1. :D 💛 😎
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Tracky wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:51 am
Skyway wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:58 am Hate to think what the insurance would jump to with such mods.
Doesn’t always make that much difference

Both of my old twin turbo diesel BMWs I had years ago were done

+1. Admiral didn’t add much to my insurance, taking account of mods.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:17 pm
Jon A wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:19 am

+1. :D 💛 😎
100% agree! And sorry for taking this thread off topic, Jon
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)