Other people in cars wanting to race you

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 5763

Post by Deleted User 5763 »

Got a lot of this in my S3. Worst ones were the idiots who would come screaming up behind me on the motorway and then just sit right behind me in the middle lane. I usually had cruise control activated so it wasn’t me. I would then come up behind a slower vehicle and these fuckwits would almost have me blocked in unless you gave it a bit of a spurt to pull out. Then sure enough they would come back and just sit there again.

FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:16 pm Only a couple of times in the Macan, and not that many in the 911 as it happens, think they know they don’t stand a chance! Do get a lot of admiring glances and positive comments though - about the car that is :lol:
Annoyingly, I've found that a fair few people want to race the 911. At least that's what I assume they want to do when they sit 6 inches from the rear bumper. Maybe they just want to make good progress. I just pull over when there's a gap and then back out when they've passed

Ten years ago I was on the motorway in my 997, and some guy in a pimped up 3 series kept rushing up behind me, clearly ragging it hard - but there wasn't any room to move into the middle lane to let him through at the time, as although everyone was moving at normal speeds it was very busy.

During what turned out to be his last hard charge to my rear bumper, his engine blew. Lots of smoke, and he had to execute a difficult manoeuvre pulling in as the lanes were so crowded. Think he got what he deserved
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Nope! There are plenty of wanabe racers out there, and I guess they just want to race everybody.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

My wife had a Corsa trying to race her a couple of months ago, she put it in Sport plus and left him. I never even knew she could drive like that, let alone know what the sport plus button does!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

That is one reason why I selected the De-Badge option, displaying Turbo on the boot would have been a magnet to idiots.

Now they think its a 2.0 so not worth the effort.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:34 am That is one reason why I selected the De-Badge option, displaying Turbo on the boot would have been a magnet to idiots.

Nah, I think they just see a Porsche ;)
Macan S MY 2023
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Skyway wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:46 am
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:34 am That is one reason why I selected the De-Badge option, displaying Turbo on the boot would have been a magnet to idiots.

Nah, I think they just see an Audi ;)
Corrected that for you....just for tracky ;)
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
JJay

Post by JJay »

Not so much away from the lights apart from the odd Tesla owner and then it depends on my mood (or if the missus is in the car) whether I react. Get it a fair bit when I come up behind a Qashqai or Hyundai on the motorway in the fast lane and they speed up and won't move out of the way.

I have noticed a common trait amongst a certain tribe; drivers of those lowered, flash alloy shod VW / Transit half van half people carrier things, apologies to anyone on here who has one but I'm sure you wouldn't drive like this. On 3 or 4 separate occasions on the motorway recently I've been sat in the outside lane in traffic when one has roared up on to my bumper (driver always a variation on the hipster - beard, checked shirt, tattoos etc). If there's a gap in the middle lane they'll swerve in and try to undertake, with usually no success, before having to swerve back in behind me when they encounter slower traffic. When my lane clears I boot it to leave them far behind only for them to ride my bumper and switch in and out of lanes when traffic in front builds again. Rinse and repeat again and again for miles and miles and miles.

There are 2 or 3 that live in my area somewhere and while I don't hang about they drive much too fast and aggressively for the roads; pushing through at junctions, won't give way on narrow roads when the obstruction's on their side etc.

It's probably not got anything to do with my car I think there's something psychological where they have to demonstrate there's no compromise to their racing credentials despite lifestyle choices mean they drive a van.

Anyway, rant over.
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Not with the Macan, but in the GR-Yaris, yes.

Used to have it all the time when I had my Impreza, S3 & R8.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

The oddest thing is when the car that wants to try their luck is a 1.4 Ford Fiesta. What's going through their minds :D
Macan S MY 2023