So instead of a Macan S I got...

The place to discuss everything else..
kalniel

Post by kalniel »

.. a GR86 :shock:

I was so so close to getting a Macan S - I'd nailed down my perfect specification, had two test drives of a differently spec'd S (dealer couldn't get the options I wanted to test), and was in the process of booking my appointment for paying deposit/final test drive when I got news of a slot becoming available for the GR86.

Of course, they don't compare. The Macan was perhaps an odd choice along the other cars I was testing (A45S, i30N, RS4, S3), but I couldn't find anything else that did the same blend of sport, luxury and some practicality - I didn't actually want a SUV but it was the best compromise - that it was such a good solution points to just how brilliant these cars are.

If the Cayman had somewhere for the (small) dog to travel comfortably it'd have been the choice. If the 911 had a smaller footprint and was a bit more affordable it'd have been the choice. But they aren't, so the Macan was such a good fit.

But then I got a slot and had a test drive of the Toyota , which I'd previously ruled out due to availability. And my main concerns were all eliminated - there's perfect seats for small dogs in the back, and the ride, while a little bouncy, was extremely comfortable and better over sharp bumps than anything this side of a Macan. Serene travelling however is not its forte! The engine sounds awful, the stereo is rubbish and there's a ton of road noise. Was that worth paying for to get the entertaining steer (and £40k saving...)? For me, yes - I have access to another car that's almost as good for long journeys as the Macan - though if we went to one car for everything then the Macan would probably be the one!

Other random musings:
Servicing wasn't much different in cost between the two - the GRs need for annual servicing and higher than non-GR prices for service plans equalled things out. I am much closer to a toyota dealership though, and the up to 10yrs warranty was added peace of mind for when the suburu engine gives up :p
The GR86 has android auto.. (I'm sure this is coming eventually when the Macan refreshes to the same system as the Macan EV, but then that comes with all the nannying features I don't want to have to keep turning off).
For all the talk of the Macan's handling prowess, at most it seemed to equal that of a very good hatchback in my hands - for an SUV that's of course incredible, and it's entirely possible the Porsche experience would have revealed additional depths, but you can't go on them before you pay your deposit sadly, so at the back of my mind was always the question of why I was I having to get an SUV to get what I wanted when the 'SUV-ness' was actually the thing I wanted the least, if that makes sense?

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ If it makes sense for you, then that's all that matters. Enjoy the GR....with ear plugs in!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I wouldn't have guessed the Toyota :D

It will probably be more reliable :o
kalniel

Post by kalniel »

ScotMac wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:24 pm I wouldn't have guessed the Toyota :D

If it was Toyota made I'd agree, but it's almost entirely Subaru, but then at least the warranty is Toyota :)
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Perfectly reasonable way of looking at things. Car industry insiders get too blinkered by their internal categories and these don’t necessarily align with the criteria that buyers have. The existence of sporty SUVs and SUV coupés shows that. I’ve had salesmen comment that I don’t know what I’m looking for when I try out what, to their minds, are completely different types of car, but to me they are not.

If what I want is a high quality, well-designed, comfortable and relaxing interior, a strong engine with a flat torque curve, good visibility, good driving position, good steering feel, high quality suspension, four doors and good boot space, why would I decide I am only looking at saloons or only SUVs, or only an E-class/5-series equivalent and not also a C-class/3-series or 2-series or a GLC/X3? For me, a Macan, a Mercedes E-Class, and a Panamera are interchangeable and all belong in the same category of roomy, comfortable, four-seaters with ample performance. Between the three the Macan is the better car (for me) because the Panamera is too wide to enjoy on UK roads, and the Mercedes isn’t quite as nice inside, and those are the main differences between them, based on my criteria.

I say look at everything and pick what feels best to you, according to your personal criteria and not the criteria the salesman thinks you ought to have based on the way market research led them to categorise their model range, or what car magazine ‘journalists’ think your options are. They are all hung up on the wrong things and their opinions are probably not relevant to you.
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Good choice. Fun car. Enjoy

Get some ear defenders for the dog too 😉
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

kalniel wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:42 pm
ScotMac wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:24 pm I wouldn't have guessed the Toyota :D

If it was Toyota made I'd agree, but it's almost entirely Subaru, but then at least the warranty is Toyota :)
Forgot about that minor detail :lol:
kalniel

Post by kalniel »

AndyC160 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:06 pm Good choice. Fun car. Enjoy

Get some ear defenders for the dog too 😉
He's used to tractors - and as agricultural as the flat four is, it's not that bad!
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

totaly differant cars.
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

A colleague of mine recently replaced his Lotus with a GR86 and last week found that the latest batch were delivered to the UK without an operational alarm.

Is waiting feedback from Toyota SE.

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981