UK Best Driving Roads

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:59 pm From my teenage years into the late 90s I had a motorcycle... I remember Ride magazine, monthly they published a great road for riding, not sure if ride still exists, but I often whent exploring and they always came up Trumps... they also have you tips on how to approach the road, these techniques I use today ... with my driving, my favourite tip was “ the vanishing bend” such a good tip in tackling unknown roads...
What they called “the vanishing bend” is now called “the limit point”.

This is basically the visible place on a bend where the radius of the bend starts to increase, or put another way, the bend opens up.

Aiming point is another way of describing it.

If you have no idea what is being talked about buy Road Craft, The Police Driving Manual or better still sign up with The IAM for a driving assessment.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Slight correction if I may Col, the Limit Point is where the two sides or verges of the road appear to meet, ie the limit point of the Tarmac you can see. You use the limit point to adjust your speed on approach to the bend, judging that you can stop if necessary in the distance you can see to be clear, then while in the bend using the apparent movement of the limit point to assess what the bend is doing. If the limit point is stationary, ie stays the same distance away from you, the curve is constant, if the LP moves towards you the bend is tightening and if it starts to move away from you the bend is opening up and you can start to get on the gas. With practise, it's a great technique for assessing bends in an unknown road regardless of whether you are in a car or on a bike.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Yes Nuclear.... I would have had trouble with explaining that, Cols point is also valid, and I’ve learnt something new as well ...
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:21 pm Slight correction if I may Col, the Limit Point is where the two sides or verges of the road appear to meet, ie the limit point of the Tarmac you can see. You use the limit point to adjust your speed on approach to the bend, judging that you can stop if necessary in the distance you can see to be clear, then while in the bend using the apparent movement of the limit point to assess what the bend is doing. If the limit point is stationary, ie stays the same distance away from you, the curve is constant, if the LP moves towards you the bend is tightening and if it starts to move away from you the bend is opening up and you can start to get on the gas. With practise, it's a great technique for assessing bends in an unknown road regardless of whether you are in a car or on a bike.
Very informative, Nick. Thank you. :geek:

How is it going with the GTS? 8-)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

It's awesome Simon! Coming up to 3k miles now so it's loosening up and I'm starting to give it some beans, within legal limits of course. Amazing the way it seems to have no limit to corning grip and then punches out of bends like a scalded cat! I'm learning new things about it every time I drive it.

Are you finding something similar, although I know not your first 911.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Nick,

Yep, on 3,149 miles now. Averaging 46mph and 30.1mpg according to the Connect app on my phone. ;)

Loving the car more all the time. Have taken it past 4,000rpm a number of times now, during enthusiastic bursts of acceleration, but not taken it to the red line yet. As you say, the grip is terrific and there is tons of power & torque, even in my humble 'base' engine. :)

My favourite Porsche, and my favourite car, so far...! :D

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Macan forum

Post by Macan forum »

I can vouch for the two Welsh entries. Avoid weekends and morning / afternoon ‘rush’ hours though. Also, the Bala magazine road (see GTS routes) is worth a spin.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:57 pm Just back from a few days walking Hadrian's Wall. Had to include the A686 Haydon Bridge to Penrith stretch on the route home. Only slightly marred by a speed limiter in the passenger seat and a couple of maniac cyclists on the downhill run.
At the Hartside Summit, about to enjoy the second half!
That’s a great road when it’s quiet. I live near Newcastle and have friends near Penrith so drive it quite a lot. Last time was Bank Holiday Monday and there was virtually no traffic. Great fun! If heading east then from Hayden Bridge go in through to Corbridge and stop at the Angel for a pint outside in the sunshine (if you’re lucky)
The military road which runs alongside Hadrian’s wall is also a great road when quiet. Just watch out for the win servere dips. A good place to stop for refreshments Walwick Hall in Chollerford.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yes, we passed through Corbridge but didn't stop at the Angel, next time perhaps.

And yes, some good tips for driving in that area. We were celebrating a significant wedding anniversary so splashed out a bit on accommodation. We started started from Matfen Hall, then Walwick Hall, Henshaw Barn, Hill on the Wall, Farlam Hall, Holston Apparthotel in Carlisle, finished at Shore Gate B+B in Bowness on Solway. All very good to excellent, particularly Henshaw Barn which I think is the Gold Standard for a small B+B. 70 miles in six days with no rain!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Happy Anniversary, Nick! 🍾 🥂
Simon