UK Best Driving Roads

The place to discuss everything else..
Mooper

Post by Mooper »

Thanks to Lancashire County Council's obsession with reducing speed limits I'm a bit short of suggestions. I do like the A59 from Clitheroe to Harrogate but most of this is in Yorkshire.
Add the Inn at Whitewell as an interesting pub in the Ribble valley.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Does our consumer friendly North Wales police still have a speeding camera campaign, if no it may explain why there were less potholes!LOL

No

The fire and brimstone of a Chief Constable either retired or was pushed so things are better there

The problem there was that the great roads attracted the dicks on their Fireblades, Gixers and Y1s thinking they were Rossi

Same over the Cat and Fiddle which is now 50 all the way.

But, there are great roads if you know where they are.Col Lamb2016-07-04 22:14:45
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Just back from a few days walking Hadrian's Wall. Had to include the A686 Haydon Bridge to Penrith stretch on the route home. Only slightly marred by a speed limiter in the passenger seat and a couple of maniac cyclists on the downhill run.
At the Hartside Summit, about to enjoy the second half!

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Nice picture Nick (the one with the GTS in) :D

(Grr..)
Last edited by Ferdie on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Great images Nick.

Harthead road is great, used to ride it a lot to the Cafe which I think has recently had a fire, it wasnt preparing your Bacon buttie was it that caused the fire?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

No Col, but it was a shame to see the burnt-out shell, still with blackened bike logos on the walls. A great biking road though! First time I used that route was 2007 when we returned from a bike tour of Scandinavia into Newcastle. The A1 had been shut due to concerns over a cracked dam that was under pressure from the biblical rain that the UK had been having. We 'discovered' the A686 in finding a route over to the M6 to get us home. It was a beautiful day, mid week, and the road was very quiet. We had lots of fun!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great photos, Nick. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The definitive advice I can give about the best driving roads is simply.

...... Hunt out motorcycling meet locations which are out in the country .....

Bikers don’t do boring roads unless they have to.

Eg. Roads to from:-
Ponderosa Cafe in North Wales.
Devils Bridge, Kirkby Londsdale, Cumbria.
Matlock Baths in the Peak District.
Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales.

Sedbergh in Cumbria, all roads to and from are great, in fact the whole of the Yorkshire Dales are the hidden gems, or at least they were until now.
Col
Macan Turbo
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Agree with that, Col. Still my best driving experience was a weekend in the Yorkshire Dales in the company of the 991 chapter of PCGB. :)

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

From my teenage years into the late 90s I had a motorcycle... I remember Ride magazine, monthly they published a great road for riding, not sure if ride still exists, but I often whent exploring and they always came up Trumps... they also have you tips on how to approach the road, these techniques I use today ... with my driving, my favourite tip was “ the vanishing bend” such a good tip in tackling unknown roads...
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊