UK Best Driving Roads

The place to discuss everything else..
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Found in Motoring Daily Mail, might be of interest to your Macan! Shocked
Comments welcome, I mean to do the SC 500, it has a web site too.

Roads the best of UK driving roads? (by the
Daily Mail Motoring)

Lake
District B5289 - Buttermere, Derwent, Crummock Water

Yorkshire
Dales B6255 Ribblehead Viaduct part of Settle Carlisle Railway route

B3135
Cheddar Gorge 14m Shepton Malett to Mendip Hills

B3387
Dartmoor National Park and outcrops

Blakely
Ridge North Yorkshire Moors beware winter snowfalls

A 3055 Isle
of Wright 11m also known as Military Road to freshwater Bay

Scotland:

Wester Ross
A832 Loch Maree, Glen Docherty (126m) part of North 500

Isle of Skye
Quiriaing Pass Uig to Staffin

A82 Glen
Etive, Glen Coe passes loch Ness, Urquhart Castle, Ben Nevis

Lecht Road
Aberdeenshire, passes over the 2090 ft summit by the ski centre

Pass of the
cattle near Applecross, Wester Ross, hairpins, attitude!

Wales:

Snowdonia
A470

Brecon
beacons A 4069 approved by J Clarkson and 81 corners

Ireland:

A2 Antrim
Coast Road, built 19C, 25m along the sea

The Dark
hedges, County Antrim, near Gracehill House, Game of Thrones fame!

Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

You are right Nomad, will be looking for some nice UK drives when mine arrives in October.

This is also a good complement to look at: http://www.drivingroads.co.uk/
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Yorkshire Dales B6255 Ribblehead Viaduct part of Settle Carlisle Railway route....................expanding on this.
Start off at Settle > Skipton > Kettlewell > Aysgarth > stop at Aysgarth Fall visitor centre for a brew > Newbiggin > Hardrow > Hawes > Ribblehead > Settle
An alternate is to add Ribblehead > Ingleton > Settle to the route
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Add in the Lakes
Kendal (from Porsche OPC) > A6 up Shap to Penrith > head towards Keswick > left towards Glenriding and Ullswater and over Kirkstone Pass > Ambleside > If its lunchtime follow signs and stop off at the Drunken Duck > then head towards Hawkshead but turn off towards Tarn Hows and drive past the Tarn (stop off in car park and look over the Tarn at the best scenic view in England) > eastern side of Lake Coniston > Oxen Park > Hawkshead > Far Sawley > Car Ferry across Windermere > Lythe Valley south to A590 > Stop off at National Trusts Sizergh Castle for a brew and visit > Kendal
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mooper

Post by Mooper »

Col I concur, route has some great roads but the Drunken Duck? Used to be interesting lively pub but now it costs a tank full of fuel for a lunch for 2 . I can recommend the Mortal Man at Troutbeck or the Masons Arms at Strawberry bank in the Lythe Valley, great food & views at both.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Col I concur, route has some great roads but the Drunken Duck? Used to be interesting lively pub but now it costs a tank full of fuel for a lunch for 2 . I can recommend the Mortal Man at Troutbeck or the Masons Arms at Strawberry bank in the Lythe Valley, great food & views at both.

I see you are in Lancashire, do you have a favourite route locally?

Mine is Preston > Longridge > Clitheroe > Slaidburn > Dunsop Bridge > Trough of Bowland > Quernmore > Oakenclough > A loop around Beacon Fell > Broughton > Preston
Col
Macan Turbo
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Isnt there a particularly good pub about 15 mins from Clitheroe too esp lancashire hot pot amoungst other dishes, likewise a spot with local bacon sandwiches beside a bridge on the weekends very popular with bikers too, maybe nr kirby Lonsdale, a while since i was up there.Nomad2016-07-03 21:55:25
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Did a bike ride recently on some great roads in Wales. Saw one pothole in 100 miles. Got back to England and saw 100 potholes in one mile.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Isnt there a particularly good pub about 15 mins from Clitheroe too esp lancashire hot pot amoungst other dishes, likewise a spot with local bacon sandwiches beside a bridge on the weekends very popular with bikers too, maybe nr kirby Lonsdale, a while since i was up there.

Yep

Devils Bridge at Kirky Lonsdale, used to go there regularly on my Triumph bike.

Lot of great eateries in the Ribble Valley around Clitheroe, its one of Lancashire's most affluent areas.

The Dog in Whalley is great for pub grub, Ribchester Arms in Ribchester, Northcote Manor adjacent to the A59 for one of the countries top Chefs Nigel Haworth
Col
Macan Turbo
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Does our consumer friendly North Wales police still have a speeding camera campaign, if no it may explain why there were less potholes!LOL