Tuscany Road Trip

The place to discuss everything else..
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

We're planning a trip to Tuscany later this year. We'll take two or three days to get there, a week in that area then a week or so on the return journey.

I'd appreciate any tips on routes there and back, places to stay and to visit en route, etc.

I'd thought originally that we might go on the bike but I've now been told that we're going in the car!

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Guy

Post by Guy »

A few ideas:
- As soon as you get to France head East towards Germany and the (free!) autobahns.
- 'Cochem' is a nice pace to stay in NW Germany. (Try Hotel Villa Vinum)

- Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen Porsche Museum is a 'must' (are we allowed to use that word?). Restaurant excellent!

- Avoid Switzerland (motorway toll), instead head for Austria/Innbsruck (possible stop?)
- Maybe then head down to Lake Garda for overnight. Maybe Bardolino (Palace Hotel San Pietro or Hotel Prati Palais - the latter excellent and both have Macan friendly car-parks)
- In Tuscany, I recommend Lucca (lovely walled city) and of course Florence for the touristy stuff!

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

That's great Guy, thanks very much!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Guy

Post by Guy »

No problem! And if you use Eurotunnel book as an oversized vehicle so you get the extra width. Having tried both it's much less stressful and costs the same! Smile
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Most direct route is via Strasbourg / Colmar area for a night stop, then east into Germany, south to Basel, through Switzerland, join the motorway past Milan then south to Florence area. Yes the tolls mount up. I've done it twice and will again this year, albeit not quite as far as Tuscany. Siena is a must for more than just a one day visit, we found a beautiful guest house , b&b only, within a short bus ride of Siena with amazing views and hospitality, happy to recommend. Gimingano well worth a visit - avoid Market day - and many more towns. Really well worth it, about 1500 miles each way. You'll need a Swiss carnet €35? and if you go on Austrian motorways, a €10 pass. We stop 2 or 3 nights en route, 400ish miles is enough at a time for us.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

I'd thought originally that we might go on the bike but I've now been told that we're going in the car!

Of course you must do as you are "told". Even so, having to drive in your Macan is not such a hardship !!
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Thanks Bigboyrolo, good stuff there.

Yes, you're right Tall Phil. Should be nicely run in by the time we get back!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

PaulMacan

Post by PaulMacan »

I'm currently trying to sell the idea of an Alpine road trip to my wife for this years summer holiday so a couple of the previous suggestions are also useful for me.
I've driven to Italy through the Mont Blanc tunnel but the St Bernard Pass sounds a much better option. If you are heading further east to avoid the tolls then the Stelvio Pass would be a great drive.

Macan S - loved and sold - PHJZAJA8
Current- Macan GTS - PHVF1HX0
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

I'm currently trying to sell the idea of an Alpine road trip to my wife for this years summer holiday so a couple of the previous suggestions are also useful for me.
I've driven to Italy through the Mont Blanc tunnel but the St Bernard Pass sounds a much better option. If you are heading further east to avoid the tolls then the Stelvio Pass would be a great drive.

We have never used The Mont Blanc or the Frejus toll tunnel, about €35 each way. We have twice gone east from Grenoble via Briancon towards Turin. It's a spectacular route, you could take in several Tour de France mountain climbs, Chamrousse, Alpe d'Huez and Col de Glandon if you have the time. but slow. Or a totally different route is over the Gottard Pass, avoiding the tunnel, it will take a few hours but well worth it, a great cafe at the top, and wonderful views.

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

To add to Guys post, Wendy and I stayed in the Moselle a few years ago and we loved Cochem, the people though were a bit abrupt and unhelpfull. Biking in the Moselle was very good but not as good as the Harz.

When I skiied we took the tunnel from Chamonix headed to Aosta and through the pass to Martingy heading for Verbier, so this route via the pass is way better to get over the Alpes than going though the tunnel.

I would tend to route into Italy on say the western side travel around and exit of the east or vica versa, and do include driving through and the Lakes Garda and Maggiore are very scenic

If you are heading for Tuscany then you cannot miss Florence, its where Wendy and I had our Honeymoon. A great hotel is right opposite the station Hotel Grand Baglioni, its where we stayed and everything is within easy walking distance. To visit the Duomo, the Uffizi gallery (book tickets prior or expect a long queue), Gallerie Accamamia for the Statue of David, Pitti Palace, Piazza della Signora for other galleries, a copy of Davids stature and Cellini's bronze Perseus then there is the Ponte Vecchio (plenty of jewellers shops on the bridge itself). We spent six days there and only saw about 1/2 of what we could have seen
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags