The Random Chit-chat Thread

The place to discuss everything else..
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

bigbaldybloke wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:47 pm I hopefully get my Macan back tomorrow after they have fitted the new PCM to cure my display problems, if it's not cured this time it's being rejected as they have previously replaced the wiring harness, then the drivers display unit and now the PCM.

Sounds like JLR quality issues :o

bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Got the car back today, they say it must be fixed now as they have changed everything , the PCM, main display and the wiring.
Time will tell, I've asked their manager to call me and discuss option on rejecting the car if it happens again which I think it will as I think it's software related. Only drawback in having the PCM replaced is no music on the jukebox, no recent places in the navigation system apart from Berlin??? Plus all my customised settings are back to default, surely they should be able to back it up and restore these?
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
goron59

Post by goron59 »

bigbaldybloke wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 pm... if it happens again which I think it will as I think it's software related. ...
All software has bugs of course, but this software is running on hardware with multiple sensors, outputs, control connections, etc. all hardware.
If it was a "software issue," it would happen to everyone as everyone is using the same hardware. If it was a "software issue," then it would happen to you again if you got a new car.

After all, if your car crashed because a wheel fell off, you wouldn't blame the ABS software, would you? (well, some might :) ).

The question in my mind would be have they replaced the bit(s) that was broken (or incorrectly installed), as what other problems could it be causing?

Fingers crossed it's fixed, but if not, good luck with rejection.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

There's some really good stuff in this thread, but isn't a lot getting lost in the ramblings, making it difficult to find again? Seems to be slightly defeating the object of having Forum topics in the first place.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:10 am There's some really good stuff in this thread, but isn't a lot getting lost in the ramblings, making it difficult to find again? Seems to be slightly defeating the object of having Forum topics in the first place.
Yea, but this is the random chitchat thread in the off-topic chat section.

The only way to keep things on-topic is to have effective moderation. The sections should have moderators. The person starting a thread should be able to moderate the thread.

Perhaps you could start by reporting posts as being off-topic? Dunno where our mod has got to though.
Pete

Post by Pete »

bigbaldybloke wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 pm Plus all my customised settings are back to default, surely they should be able to back it up and restore these?
If part of the problem is data corruption, then you definitely don't want your old settings brought across. The new PCM might also use slightly different components that might not be totally compatible with your stored data, which risks creating even more problems.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:10 am There's some really good stuff in this thread, but isn't a lot getting lost in the ramblings, making it difficult to find again? Seems to be slightly defeating the object of having Forum topics in the first place.
Lots of threads go off-topic or contain useful stuff that isn't directly related to the thread topic. The only way to completely stop it is to be completely draconian in terms of moderation (and this never works out well).
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Pete wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 am
Lots of threads go off-topic or contain useful stuff that isn't directly related to the thread topic. The only way to completely stop it is to be completely draconian in terms of moderation (and this never works out well).
Yea, effective moderation means going all stack overflow. The forum then becomes a useful source of information, but stops being fun :(
Pete

Post by Pete »

For sure. I'm a 10K+ user over on stack overflow. I've also been a moderator on a few major sites (MS Answers, WindowsCentral to name a couple). Great moderators work in great moderation. I've some across some great moderators and some lousy ones. The lousy ones are always loud.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ours is/are pretty quiet. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018