The Random Chit-chat Thread

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Dandock wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:43 am
Pete wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:53 am What service are you using to buy/download the audio book? Amazon, something else?

If you're using Amazon, you might find there's a licensing issue where you can't (legally) listen if you're not logged into the same account that bought it.
I don't know right now. It's quite difficult to find so I'll have a look and revert.
There's a version via Audible (Amazon company) so I presume there'll be a licensing issue with that but there are are others. I'll keep looking, Pete.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Pete

Post by Pete »

Yes, Audible is governed by Amazon, so the sharing options are limited to sharing within a defined household. It'll be possible to remove that copy-protection, but you're running the risk of installing and running software with questionable legality (some people are fine with that, but for me it's a security risk and I prefer to pay a fair price for goods).

Unfortunately, you don't seem to be able to purchase a single Audible book as a present (although you can buy a subscription as a gift, which I don't think is what you want here).

It's a general problem with digital purchases in that you can't buy something and gift it to someone else (since this lets you copy and send and infinite amount of copies, unlike buying a single book).
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

A present is in fact exactly what we're looking for. Our son is seriously dyslexic. His birthday is coming up and we'd like to buy him an audiobook book that is only available as a download. And like you I won't mess about about with third party fudges, so it's looking like we're stuffed.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Pete

Post by Pete »

If you can find it on CD, you might be able to rip it into an MP3 file. Importing CDs into iTunes is not illegal.

Failing that, you could get in touch directly with the publisher and explain the situation - they might well be more amenable to help than Amazon might be.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

That's precisely the problem - its not available on CD in the UK - at least not read by the preferred narrator - and from the US is a prohibitive amount of money.

The publisher idea might have legs though. Ta!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Or maybe find some friendly person in the USA who can buy a CD locally, rip it and then send you the MP3..?

Also, did you look on eBay?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I am not going to debate the rights or wrongs of audio recording

For those who want to know here is the process.

With streaming recording software (like Wondershare) started

Play the sound stream on your PC you want to record

Click the Record icon on the streaming software to start the recording

At end of recording session click on Stop Recording

Close down your stream source

You now have a standard mp3 file of the audio stream you wanted for use as you see fit.

If necessary you can use the free audio processing software Audacity to trim or normalize the mp3 file.

I am not condoning file sharing just telling you the process that five minutes on Google will find.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Pete wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:00 am Or maybe find some friendly person in the USA who can buy a CD locally, rip it and then send you the MP3..?

Also, did you look on eBay?
As far as I can see to date the US price for the CD is between $50-70 so thats probably not viable. Haven't had a good look at Ebay, though.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:06 am I am not going to debate the rights or wrongs of audio recording

You now have a standard mp3 file of the audio stream you wanted for use as you see fit.

If necessary you can use the free audio processing software Audacity to trim or normalize the mp3 file.

I am not condoning file sharing just telling you the process that five minutes on Google will find.

I presume this works principally for music etc. We're looking at an unabridged book that's between 7-9 hours long depending on the narrator I guess copying is probably our of the question. Thanks anyway, Col.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:22 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:06 am I am not going to debate the rights or wrongs of audio recording

I presume this works principally for music etc. We're looking at an unabridged book that's between 7-9 hours long depending on the narrator I guess copying is probably our of the question. Thanks anyway, Col.
It records for as long as you want.

You could always record in say 1 hour section.

I record Sounds of the Sixties which is two hours long, listen to it in the car then overwrite the SD card with the following week's recorded episode. This way I have no streaming data usage in the car.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags