Mercedes seems to suck at circuit design

The place to discuss everything else..
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

On the subject of Mercworld. Has anyone here taken their kids there? We're thinking of taking my daughter for the kids driving experience for her birthday this year...
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I live a couple of miles away and have been there many times. There are certainly a few things to do - look at the cars, exhibits, a couple of films etc. but it's probably something you could spend 1-2 hours wandering round depending on interest. A few years ago all the cars were open (incl AMG) so you could sit in them and play with the controls but now almost every car is locked.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Pete

Post by Pete »

There's also the Brooklands Air Museum tucked in behind, which is well worth a visit if you're in to that kind of thing.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

On the Merc theme, not sure if you've seen this video:

https://youtu.be/v127kcXPhJU

E63 AMG S victory over a Panamera Turbo in a track battle (sorry Wingco!). Not all Mercs are poor handlers.

I was surprised at Goodwood FOS that they only had an AMG stand. Some nice motor and paint colours on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Perhaps said driver had been asked to push the car without the benefit of the 'systems' - as we all have been at PEC. In isolation we can all look stupid or incapable. Thinks... journalistic picture editors!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Pete

Post by Pete »

I had a friend who had one of these skid-pan experiences and after an hour, he never got to the stage of holding the drift. I think it's one of those things that takes a lot of practice/failure before you "get it". I suspect that the vast majority of customers doing the experience come away a little disappointed that it's not as easy as it is on the telly.

When I did a 911 day at PEC a few years ago, I had a track-orientated session - the fact that it was a bit wet that day and the instructor was telling me to use the "wet lines" (as opposed to the dry lines I'm used to on the xbox) really messed with my head. The experience went a fair way toward me deciding not to keep the 911. I should really have chosen the road-focused session (but then, being a typical bloke, I assumed there's nothing wrong with my driving...)

But no, I wouldn't invest in a skid-pan experience for myself, but I'd happily give it a go if it was given to me.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I've been doing it all my life so skid correction wasn't a problem.

After a couple of boring passes I just pushed the car beyond it's limits to see what would happen.

The car did well, the Morris 8 I started off roading in 55 years ago would have rolled a few times.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Pete wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:17 am I had a friend who had one of these skid-pan experiences and after an hour, he never got to the stage of holding the drift. I think it's one of those things that takes a lot of practice/failure before you "get it". I suspect that the vast majority of customers doing the experience come away a little disappointed that it's not as easy as it is on the telly.

When I did a 911 day at PEC a few years ago, I had a track-orientated session - the fact that it was a bit wet that day and the instructor was telling me to use the "wet lines" (as opposed to the dry lines I'm used to on the xbox) really messed with my head. The experience went a fair way toward me deciding not to keep the 911. I should really have chosen the road-focused session (but then, being a typical bloke, I assumed there's nothing wrong with my driving...)

But no, I wouldn't invest in a skid-pan experience for myself, but I'd happily give it a go if it was given to me.
You might want to consider going in-field at Silverstone to the Audi tent for their experiences.

The basic one is far more road oriented, so you get to catch slides on dry/wet/very wet surfaces, with and without driver aides. You do it over and over again, with the instructor on the radio, a buddy in the car that you swap with and watching others in other cars too.

And you get to drive 3 different cars. I think last time I went it was TTRS, RS5 and R8 V10+. Good day and if you're lucky you can take the R8 on the full GP circuit :)

The PEC one felt tame in comparison.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:10 am On the Merc theme, not sure if you've seen this video:

https://youtu.be/v127kcXPhJU

E63 AMG S victory over a Panamera Turbo in a track battle (sorry Wingco!). Not all Mercs are poor handlers.
Faster maybe, but not such a well-rounded, overall performer and, I suspect, with a ride as hard as nails.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I see the OP (or someone else) has changed the thread title and content of the first post. Whats the point of posting a topic, then taking your own topic off piste when someone does not agree with you. Its all a bit Flim Flam a Boris would say.