Mercedes seems to suck at circuit design

The place to discuss everything else..
Pete

Post by Pete »

Lamb didn't take the thread off piste - everyone else did (although the point of the piste seemed a little unclear). Lamb didn't change the thread title or say anything at all apart from his initial post.

Nothing significant was changed about the first post that would change the meaning of the thread.

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Pete wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:28 pm Lamb didn't take the thread off piste - everyone else did (although the point of the piste seemed a little unclear). Lamb didn't change the thread title or say anything at all apart from his initial post.

Nothing significant was changed about the first post that would change the meaning of the thread.

You can see the original post in Virages thread - infering Mercedes Suck. So if changing the thread title to infere something completely different is not taking a thread off piste, then we have to beg to differ!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hmmm...

Both Lamb's post and Virage's quote of it seem very similar to me. I suspect you're seeing something different to me.
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:21 pm Drove past Mercedes World at Weybridge today, a few people were on the circuit.

One image is of the Map display on the PCM which shows the circuits.

IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
Must say the guy I watched on the skid pan had great difficulty in not doing a 360, the E series he was driving did not inspire.
Virage11 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:29 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:21 pm Drove past Mercedes World at Weybridge today, a few people were on the circuit.

One image is of the Map display on the PCM which shows the circuits.

IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
Must say the guy I watched on the skid pan had great difficulty in not doing a 360, the E series he was driving did not inspire.
No offence but that sounds ridiculous. Are you saying Merc sucks because you witnessed one person struggling on a skid pan?!

There are plenty of people who are unfamiliar with skid pans who struggle to correct the car...zero tand do with the car, all to do with the driver. This is going to sound immodest but hell the original post seems crazy but I have drive plenty of times at Silverstone in Macan Diesels etc. overtaking everything else because (a) I know the track and (b) I know a little about what I am doing...doesn't mean that a Macan Diesel (extreme example) is better than a 991.1 C4S!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Macananon wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:20 pm I see the OP (or someone else) has changed the thread title and content of the first post. Whats the point of posting a topic, then taking your own topic off piste when someone does not agree with you. Its all a bit Flim Flam a Boris would say.
It's not the first time he's done that. Best bet is to report it for those reasons and our friendly moderator can just nuke it.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wrong assumptions.

I just did not complete the topic header correctly.

The Merc circuits were completely flat, no significant camber changes, no ice hill, skid pan is just water with no kick plate function that I could see.

There does not seem to be any decent handling testing opportunities.

You would think that they would include an off road course but if the do have one it was not obvious.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:31 pm

You would think that they would include an off road course but if the do have one it was not obvious.

https://world.mercedes-benz.co.uk/drivi ... ience.html
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:10 am On the Merc theme, not sure if you've seen this video:

https://youtu.be/v127kcXPhJU

E63 AMG S victory over a Panamera Turbo in a track battle (sorry Wingco!). Not all Mercs are poor handlers.

Thanks for sharing, Hawkeye! 👍 I had not seen that.

No surprise really that the Merc was quicker with it being 100kg lighter, plus having a lot more bhp and torque. To be honest 0.4 seconds is not a lot, and it's negligible in the real world for non-professional drivers. 😉

And clearly my Panamera 4 is a sweet handler, being 145 kg lighter than the Turbo! 😎
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I find the concept that a crappy test track for people that want to pay £100 for a few 'hot laps' means that Mercedes are crap at circuit design rediculous. But my opinion is just an opinion.

There is an off road course.

The whole area including Mercedes Benz World is a conservation area.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Pete

Post by Pete »

I think the circuit design is fine. Seems to be more about demonstrating handling and acceleration rather than putting flowing laps together.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

And I can tell you that their planning conditions include limits on noise, so tyre squealing is not allowed.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8