Jaguar E pace

The place to discuss everything else..
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 pm I quite like the look of the exterior; less so inside, especially that grab handle in the centre console.

Again its another case of Jag aiming at the quality 2.0 litre SUV shopping trolley/school run market, rather than the Jag enthusiast.
I suspect the 2.0l school run market is bigger than the Jag enthusiast market
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.

VanB

Post by VanB »

Personally I think it's pretty ugly - as someone said a bit of a squat toad! I imagine they will bring out further engine choices including a hybrid but the mass sales will be a 2.0d aimed at the school run market as has been said. This, of course, means the width will be a problem for most school run drivers and it will be a massively tight squeeze on width restricted roads. As for Jag going mass market they've been doing that since the launch of the XF and are now no different from BMW and Audi so residuals won't be great. Steer clear in short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:50 pm
Mistertoad wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:36 pm I am pleased to see Jaguar have replaced the rising/ rotating gear selector with a gear lever, but I am not keen on the wheel options.

If I do revert back to one car it will be a face-lifted Macan Turbo. 8-)

Or a Panamera Coupe/928...?! ;)
Looks like it might not happen :shock:
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

VanB wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:21 pm Personally I think it's pretty ugly - as someone said a bit of a squat toad! I imagine they will bring out further engine choices including a hybrid but the mass sales will be a 2.0d aimed at the school run market as has been said. This, of course, means the width will be a problem for most school run drivers and it will be a massively tight squeeze on width restricted roads. As for Jag going mass market they've been doing that since the launch of the XF and are now no different from BMW and Audi so residuals won't be great. Steer clear in short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And smaller, cheaper models equal even greater volume for which I hope they're prepared.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I think the E Pace will sell better than the X Type, which was possibly their first attempt at the mass market, being a would be 3 Series rival... :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm I think the E Pace will sell better than the X Type, which was possibly their first attempt at the mass market, being a would be 3 Series rival... :geek:
The X Type was indeed aimed at a market which was primarily lead by the Beamer 3 series its target market was also a younger professional person and that is what the advertising showed.

I had the 3 litre X Type for many years and it was a very good car let down after a few years by rubbish After Sales (lack of) service.

Having test driven a 3 litre Beamer 3 series prior to test driving the Jag the Beamer definately was the better car in terms of performance but the Jag was better finished and far more comfortable and I wanted a Jag more than I wanted a Beamer.

Sadly the design of the X Type was of a mini version of the old XJ and as such it had a classic body shape to start off with, not a good start.

Its owning an X Type that lead me to the conclusion that Jaguar does not aim at being the best, it aims at being as good as, so they again are flawed to start off with.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
John_M

Post by John_M »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:24 pmHaving test driven a 3 litre Beamer 3 series prior to test driving the Jag the Beamer definately was the better car in terms of performance but the Jag was better finished and far more comfortable and I wanted a Jag more than I wanted a Beamer.

Sadly the design of the X Type was of a mini version of the old XJ and as such it had a classic body shape to start off with, not a good start.
M

When I was looking at a new car in 2004. the X type made me go a check Jags as the price was tempting, but space inside made it a no go (very much same Mondeo it shared a platform with), I ended up test driving a S Type which was the only model that I felt had sufficient head & leg room - nice to drive, but I just wasn't happy with the driving position and as "Jaguar" was dream make for me I knew it would disappoint me so didn't buy it.

When a few years later I brought a BMW - it was a nice car, but if not perfect wasn't a issue because there was no real emotional attachment as I have never dreamed of owning a BMW like I did of owning a Jaguar. Funny Porsche wasn't a make I dreamed of either, but I already feel more attached to the Macan than I did the BMWs (

The Macan was against F-Pace which left me feeling disappointed with Jag again (dealer more this time), but width of F-Pace was an issue and if E-Pace is same it is too wide for garage and parking bays
Guy

Post by Guy »

VanB wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:21 pm This, of course, means the width will be a problem for most school run drivers and it will be a massively tight squeeze on width restricted roads.
I think that the designers could have made it two to three inches narrower if they'd ignored the part of the design brief that specified the rather bizarre ability to hold two large water bottle side by side in the centre console. Mind you, designer handbags are getting bigger ...

jagepace18myinteriordetails13071708-resize-1024x1536.jpg

goron59

Post by goron59 »

The width is a puzzle. Though I doubt it's because of the arm rest pocket.
It's considerably wider than a Ford Transit Custom and that has a requirement for 3 people!

Not much different to a RR and that is a favourite for ferrying Tarquin the half mile to the school gates in many parts of England.

But I'd certainly be more cautious in this vs a Macan. Lots of places I go have a stated 2m width restriction.

Puzzling decision indeed. Perhaps the U.K. Market isn't a priority.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Predictably China is the target - complete with their own factory. It's a cautionary tale, though.

Mrs D used to work for Mulberry, their bags etc being made in Somerset. With an ever increasing Chinese market and with a eye on the margins they opened a factory in China. Sales to the Chinese fell! At least as far as those products that were made there. They weren't interested in just having the brand they absolutely wanted the provenance. Mulberry closed China and expanded the UK facilities and sales recovered. The Chinese wanted British MADE IN BRITAIN.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀