EV / Hybrid test drives.

The place to discuss everything else..
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well, I jest. Even a used hybrid is outside of my price range, and the 20 mile range would just about get me to work (one way).

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Range is subjective.

We are used to filling up with petrol or diesel and seeing 400-600 range showing.

In reality there is no way that any significant numbers of us would drive non stop for those distances.

Having ridden motorcycles for years a max non stop range of a bike is about 175 miles and after riding non stop for that distance you walk like John Wayne when you get off the bike. For me driving my Macan I have a max limit of about 150 miles before I have to stop for a break soman EV that could achieve a significant part of that distance would certainly be up for consideration.

So maybe our expectations on an EV need a rethink?

Anyway what I am leading to is that one size will not fit all at present with an EV / hybrid of reasonable price.

After driving a couple of contenders then what I think that I would want is a minimum electric range of 70 miles at an average speed of 60 mph with regenerative braking and the ability for an engine to recharge the battery pack
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Agree with some of the above (although I regularly drive 300 miles, park on a disused airfield miles from anywhere to watch my lad race karts and then drive 300 miles back again)

I can't help thinking 'though, that a hybrid really does seem to be missing the point and in some way is a little hypocritical. Electric power yes, but a good old fashioned petrol (or diesel) engine for all those occasions when the electric power isn't up to it or is all used up!

I get that many of our trips are under 50 miles and that charging up overnight on my drive (because we are fortunate enough to have a drive and a garage unlike many,) will satisfy the majority of my needs. It's the 2 or 3 times a month (or more) that we venture further afield that I can't reconcile.
Maybe I could persuade Mrs P to get a full on EV......and I'll keep the Macan😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

+1

Neither am I particularly enamoured by the thought of having to hold up in some naff service station whilst the EV takes on more juice. And of course I wouldn't want to rush it, at least not too often, as rushing threatens the life and integrity of the batteries. I would also have to know that I can recharge at my destination which would demand compatibility and availability. For example if I visit my brother in deepest north Lancashire (about 160 miles away) does he have an available, compatible charging point etc. or do I have to detour to the nearest Sainsbury's and twiddle my thumbs for goodness knows how long.

Bobbing about town and short commutes are fine but, has been said so many time before, there are numerous fundamental practical issues that require a substantial solution.

Question. Is the available range for an EV just charge dependant? As all batteries loose power over time how much do regular journey delays impact on the range? I'm thinking here about the sort of accident/roadworks/traffic volume stuff we all regularly encounter that can easily put an hour on a 2 hour-ish trip.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

One of the big issues I had with the Mini Hybrid was it's Range on electric was only 25 miles and then only had a 36 ltr tank. The batteries take up too much space so I went with a 61 ltr (increased for £50 from 51 ltr) petrol version instead.
The Hybrids will certainly improve in many things including speed of charging and range but it will be a few years yet before it gets me thinking again seriously about it.
Still too many questions not answered for me or what can be answered is not particularly positive based on my use.
GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The new kid on the block has apparently arrived with the first batch of the Tesla Model 3 cars being delivered.

Tesla UK website says effectivel to deposit now for mid late 2018 delivery.

Two battery packes are available 200 and 300 plus mile range with 0-60 in 5.7s and 5.1s.

Interior looks very minimalist with just the very, very large iPad Pro sized screen stuck in the centre.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Already 400,000 in the queue. Production of right hand drive models not due to start until early 2019... :geek:

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

400,000 orders for one model kind of makes Porsche seem like the start up company.

No wonder other manufacturers are going flat out to get EV and hybrids on the Sales floor.
Col
Macan Turbo
goron59

Post by goron59 »

This week's Autocar has some interesting star ratings for cars (out of 5):

3: Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid
3.5: MINI Countryman Cooper SE ALL4 (hybrid)
3.5: Volvo XC60 T8 (hybrid)
4: RR Velar
4.5: Porsche Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo
4.5: Nissan Qashqai 1.5 DCI 110 Connecta
5: McLaren 570S Spider

I don't think Autocar likes hybrids.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Model S. Vile interior!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀