EV / Hybrid test drives.

The place to discuss everything else..
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Interesting insight from Elon Musk about how Top Gear basically scripted that the Tesla Roadster would run out of charge and breakdown.

https://youtu.be/QErBQWUQyEI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.

bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Forget the hybrids, my wife has just bought the John Cooper Works Mini Countryman, it's a hoot, goes well, roomy inside and brings a smile to your face. Goes well with my Macan, and the in car electronics, display, etc are much more advanced than the Macan
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Obebiker

Post by Obebiker »

That's a very interesting review, these hybrid and electric only cars are developing nicely. It's going to be very interesting when I come to change my Macan SD in 3 years, but it's going to be at least another 5 years before they become more mainstream. The bloody £40k threshold really doesn't help as such cars tend to be more expensive, it's a disincentive to buy such a car. I may even look at second hand for just this reason.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Obebiker wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:18 am That's a very interesting review, these hybrid and electric only cars are developing nicely. It's going to be very interesting when I come to change my Macan SD in 3 years, but it's going to be at least another 5 years before they become more mainstream. The bloody £40k threshold really doesn't help as such cars tend to be more expensive, it's a disincentive to buy such a car. I may even look at second hand for just this reason.
Yes the £40k is a pain, when the SE configured the i3 I wanted leather interior but at £2k it took it over the threshold.

Following further research it looks like a new i3 is going to be annouced soon, with redissigned front and rear end plus an all important more powerfull battery pack and possibly a performance version.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Did you get a feel for the i3 handling? It has super super skinny tyres, so won't have much grip - it looks almost toy-like. I suppose this is not a car for driver enjoyment, so maybe it doesn't matter, but I associate good handling with safety.

Seems like you tested the non-range extender i3, which would be the ideal model for a second-car runabout. A new one is coming soon and meant to be a big jump forward. Ditto the i8. Interesting times at BMW.. even the new 8 series looks interesting.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

goron59 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 am Did you get a feel for the i3 handling? It has super super skinny tyres, so won't have much grip - it looks almost toy-like. I suppose this is not a car for driver enjoyment, so maybe it doesn't matter, but I associate good handling with safety.

Seems like you tested the non-range extender i3, which would be the ideal model for a second-car runabout. A new one is coming soon and meant to be a big jump forward. Ditto the i8. Interesting times at BMW.. even the new 8 series looks interesting.
It was the range extended version that I test drove but at no time did the engine start as the batteries were well charged when we took it on the road.

The RE engine does not drive the wheels, it simply charges the battery.

Handling was pretty good but I did not push it like I did with the Mini, the handling limits would be checked out at the time if a day loaner or Arif could add his thoughts as he runs one as his c50 mile one way commuter.

The i8 looks great but there is one huge problem with the i8, it is very, very low, I have sat in one and found it even more difficult to get out of compared to a 911 or R8.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
bilun777

Post by bilun777 »

Pete wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 pm Nice couple of reviews, although I would have been interested in an i8 review too....

Did you find out how much it costs in terms of leccy bills to charge an EV (i.e. what the monthly cost might be)?
I was looking at the new Mini PHEV, and charging costs the other night.
Google suggested 10p per KW at over night charge rate.
Around £3 for a full charge on a Nissan Leaf which has a 30 KW battery I think.
That must be well below £1 for an over night top up on the mini.
Sapphire blue SD,Luxor Beige,Delivered Nov 16.
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^^
Just make sure your supplier fits a dual meter with eco 7 (that trips over properly at midnight)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cheaper than I thought. Maybe I should have gone for the Cayenne hybrid after all.
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

The trouble with the Cayenne hybrid is the range - I was not managing 20 miles on a charge and that petrol engine is not exactly economical !!

They are great with stop start town driving though
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(