Velar test drive

The place to discuss everything else..
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

I am very tempted by the Jaguar I-Pace. Maybe it's the geek in me or the lure of new tech, but on a positive note it will be built in Austria by Magna Steyr who are are renowned for their quality control The Aston Martin Rapides they built from 2008 to 2011 were the best.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Peteski wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 am
Beausoleil100 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:16 pm As someone who bought a RR Sport when it first came out in June 2005 . . . and got rid by December over persistent electrical issues, I was particularly alarmed by the Velar's electrically deploying door handles that have the emergency keyhole hidden behind!! I have to assume that the door handles pop out if there is no battery supply or else how does this make any sense?

Presumably, in the event the car's battery goes flat, the handles pop out but the doors remain locked but, even so, every day I would dread the driver's door handle failing - especially if it has the only emergency lock - or finding the remote simply has a flat battery.

I'm no longer interested enough to go in and ask the question, but I am curious.
Yes, I think you'd have to be a very brave/stupid man to take a risk on a brand new JLR product loaded to the brim with new tech!
+1

The Tech in most cars will cause problems. In JLR it's a huge mess. And they still can't fix it...
Thanks but no thanks. And I love my tech but it has to work.
GTS πŸ˜€
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 am
Peteski wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 am
Beausoleil100 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:16 pm As someone who bought a RR Sport when it first came out in June 2005 . . . and got rid by December over persistent electrical issues, I was particularly alarmed by the Velar's electrically deploying door handles that have the emergency keyhole hidden behind!! I have to assume that the door handles pop out if there is no battery supply or else how does this make any sense?

Presumably, in the event the car's battery goes flat, the handles pop out but the doors remain locked but, even so, every day I would dread the driver's door handle failing - especially if it has the only emergency lock - or finding the remote simply has a flat battery.

I'm no longer interested enough to go in and ask the question, but I am curious.
Yes, I think you'd have to be a very brave/stupid man to take a risk on a brand new JLR product loaded to the brim with new tech!
+1

The Tech in most cars will cause problems. In JLR it's a huge mess. And they still can't fix it...
Let's see how the Velar fares.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
Yanwoo

Post by Yanwoo »

Mistertoad wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 am
+1

So far on the velar forums nothing systemic has really cropped up. Some have been experiencing blank screens and very slow responses, but at this stage doesn't seem pervasive. Of course, with so much functionality within those systems, these issues become more significant than if they were just housing sat nav and media.

Early days tho.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Yanwoo wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 am
Mistertoad wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 am
+1

So far on the velar forums nothing systemic has really cropped up. Some have been experiencing blank screens and very slow responses, but at this stage doesn't seem pervasive. Of course, with so much functionality within those systems, these issues become more significant than if they were just housing sat nav and media.

Early days tho.
Yes agree. the problem is a Velar is basically an Fpace dressed up a bit. A lot of the Tech etc is exactly the same as well as other items...
We will see and i am sure it will sell loads and these cars need to be a success to keep Porsche and all other manufacturers on their toes.
Its the whole experience with JLR/RR that i am not impressed with. not the actual look and feel of the cars.
GTS πŸ˜€
Yanwoo

Post by Yanwoo »

Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:00 am
Yes agree. the problem is a Velar is basically an Fpace dressed up a bit. A lot of the Tech etc is exactly the same as well as other items...
We will see and i am sure it will sell loads and these cars need to be a success to keep Porsche and all other manufacturers on their toes.
Its the whole experience with JLR/RR that i am not impressed with. not the actual look and feel of the cars.
Well, only in a similiar way that the macan is just an audi Q5 dressed up! I've test driven both velar and f-pace recently, and they've got very different driving signatures, and the in-car experience is completely different. There are some visual similiarities externally, but many more differences I'd say.

Although I believe the tech is based on the same underlying system, the velar has quite a lot of extra complexity, including the incorporation of the panasonic system for integrating physical widgets and touch screen.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I will be very surprised if the Velar forums are not buzzing with issues in 6 months time. I certainly wouldn't take the chance with their track record of new releases and poor dealer service. It does look like a nice car but doesn't really fit my style. A bit too blingy for my taste like most other RR products, perhaps even more so.
Yanwoo

Post by Yanwoo »

Peteski wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:10 pm I will be very surprised if the Velar forums are not buzzing with issues in 6 months time. I certainly wouldn't take the chance with their track record of new releases and poor dealer service. It does look like a nice car but doesn't really fit my style. A bit too blingy for my taste like most other RR products, perhaps even more so.
Agreed!

Generally true (re: new tech), I think, but perhaps even more so for JLR whose track record is more patchy than most. They seem to be patching pretty quick with the velar, which is a good sign they're development is maturing, but like you say, we'll see in 6 months or so how they're doing.
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Still looks like a beluga whale :twisted:
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold